all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* bug#1291: 23.0.60; 1) resize-mini-windows: customizable, 2) if grow mini, grow Completions
@ 2008-11-03 19:34 Chong Yidong
From: Chong Yidong @ 2008-11-03 19:34 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Drew Adams; +Cc: 1291

> > So the only solution I can think of is to convey some information to
> > shrink_window_lowest_first, with the help of a buffer-local
> > variable, telling that a window showing that buffer should not be
> > resized if it is possible to resize another window instead.
>
> Again, I can't speak much to the implementation - I don't see the big
> picture, no doubt. But my suggestion would be, again, not to try to
> deal with this particular minor bug by changing general things. I
> would think that the code that grows the minbuffer could just check
> whether completion is in progress and *Completions* is displayed, and
> if so grow *Completions* by the same amount (modulo some limits).

We might be able to revisit this after the release.  The current
(tentative) plan is to introduce some kind of "window grouping" feature,
which will be needed for CEDET/ECB.  It's possible that window groups
can also be used to handle situations like this.

* bug#1291: 23.0.60; 1) resize-mini-windows: customizable, 2) if grow mini, grow Completions
@ 2008-11-02  0:16 Drew Adams
From: Drew Adams @ 2008-11-02  0:16 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-pretest-bug

This bug appears also in Emacs 22 - please backport the fix.

1. Variable `resize-mini-windows' should be a customizable option. It
is obviously intended to be modified by users.

2.
emacs -Q
M-x load-library tmm
M-x tmm-menubar

You'll see that not all candidates in *Completions* are visible. This
is true in spite of the fact that `tmm-menubar' calls
Electric-pop-up-window' which correctly fits the *Completions* window
to the buffer.

The problem is that (assuming `resize-mini-window' is non-nil) when
the minibuffer grows to accommodate the default completion candidate
that is inserted in the minibuffer, it takes vertical space away from
*Completions*.

Whenever the minibuffer is grown, so should *Completions* be grown to
the same extent (modulo some maximum setting). Otherwise, fitting the
*Completions* window is defeated by the minibuffer resizing.

Please fix this in the Lisp code, not the C code, so other libraries
that manipulate the minibuffer differently from vanilla Emacs can also
benefit.

In GNU Emacs 23.0.60.1 (i386-mingw-nt5.1.2600)
 of 2008-10-09 on LENNART-69DE564
Windowing system distributor `Microsoft Corp.', version 5.1.2600
configured using `configure --with-gcc (3.4) --no-opt --cflags -Ic:/g/include
-fno-crossjumping'