all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* have installed cygwin, & "its" emacs. dired shows only subtree, no "up"
@ 2008-09-20 17:01 David Combs
From: David Combs @ 2008-09-20 17:01 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Installed cygwin on my wife's pc.  Told it to grab, among
other things, emacs.

I run emacs, hit C-x d (dired), and shows me only
(I forget now) /home/....   With three files, (bash profile,
and two .xxxxrc files, and NO directories).

Seems that that's my "universe".

So as to go "up" in the dir-tree, I hit the "^", but
does nothing.

Question:  How do I get access to the (entire) computer?

(Problem: I know **NOTHING** about M$ and xt (is what she has) --
 the reason I want to use her pc is that I want to upload
 .mp3 files to my Sansa "clip" mp3Player/radio/etc, and it
requires it be hooked (usb) to a pc windows.  It will NOT
work on my sunblade100 (sparc), solaris9 -- I tried -- I can
charge the battery, yeah, but that's it, apparently.)

I was hoping I could, after downloading .mp3 files from the
net via firefox, then move them around, and stuff them into
my "clip" via dired.

So, how can I get dired to break out of its Elba (or is it
Helena?) quarantine?

    (Able were I ere I saw elba?)

Thanks!

David

PS: glancing through the cygwin user-guide, I saw a bunch
of stuff about having to use the mount command for something.

(Yes, I'll end up studying it), but quickly, maybe,
what's that all about?  Is *that* how I'll get access
to the *entire* of the C-disk, or something?)

Thanks again for any hints or suggestions.

* Re: have installed cygwin, & "its" emacs. dired shows only subtree, no "up"
@ 2008-09-20 19:25 ` Nikolaj Schumacher
From: Nikolaj Schumacher @ 2008-09-20 19:25 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: David Combs; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

dkcombs@panix.com (David Combs) wrote:

> PS: glancing through the cygwin user-guide, I saw a bunch
> of stuff about having to use the mount command for something.
>
> (Yes, I'll end up studying it), but quickly, maybe,
> what's that all about?  Is *that* how I'll get access
> to the *entire* of the C-disk, or something?)

IIRC, the C drive should already be mounted to /cygdrive/c/.

But I don't know why ^ wouldn't work...

regards,
Nikolaj Schumacher

* Re: have installed cygwin, & "its" emacs. dired shows only subtree, no "up"
@ 2008-09-20 20:15 ` Martin Fischer
From: Martin Fischer @ 2008-09-20 20:15 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

(David Combs) writes:

> Installed cygwin on my wife's pc.  Told it to grab, among
> other things, emacs.
>
> I run emacs, hit C-x d (dired), and shows me only
> (I forget now) /home/....   With three files, (bash profile,
> and two .xxxxrc files, and NO directories).
>
> Seems that that's my "universe".
>
> So as to go "up" in the dir-tree, I hit the "^", but
> does nothing.

Hi,

you may also try to feed the dired prompt with somthing like "c:/" or
"/cygdrive/c" or "/c".

Cheers

Martin
---
parozusa at web dot de

* Re: have installed cygwin, & "its" emacs. dired shows only subtree, no "up"
@ 2008-09-21  1:26   ` David Combs
       [not found]     ` <mailman.19631.1221961544.18990.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: David Combs @ 2008-09-21  1:26 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

In article <874p4aa81j.fsf@web.de>, Martin Fischer  <nospam@nospam.net> wrote:

>(David Combs) writes:
>
>> Installed cygwin on my wife's pc.  Told it to grab, among
>> other things, emacs.
>>
>> I run emacs, hit C-x d (dired), and shows me only
>> (I forget now) /home/....   With three files, (bash profile,
>> and two .xxxxrc files, and NO directories).
>>
>> Seems that that's my "universe".
>>
>> So as to go "up" in the dir-tree, I hit the "^", but
>> does nothing.
>
>Hi,
>
>you may also try to feed the dired prompt with somthing like "c:/" or
>"/cygdrive/c" or "/c".
>
>Cheers
>
>Martin
>---
>parozusa at web dot de

Thanks -- will go down and try in a minute.

Before I do, though, let me ask this related question:

The whole reason for doing all this is to be able to
download .mp3-files (which I can do via firefox),
leaving them in the predefined "downloads" area (dir).

The next action is to move them onto my sandsk, which the
computer does know about, because when I go to "my computer"
it shows 4 or 5 icons, one for (this isn't right, but
is close) "ibm preload drive" C, and another one is for
my sandisk mp3-player.

So, there's some way (I forget right now) to mark the
mp3 files, click "move", and then choose the sandisk
as destination -- down in its own dir-tree.

And it works -- at least sometimes.

What I would MUCH RATHER DO is to do all that (well,
not the firefox downloading) via dired, using "R"
to move them all onto the sandisk.

Any idea how to refer to the sandisk?

(Well, I guess I can't even think about that until
I can get dired off Helena!)

Anyway, any ideas or hints?  Like I say, this windows-stuff
is a no-op in *my* brain, so anything will help.

THANKS!

David

* Re: have installed cygwin, & "its" emacs. dired shows only subtree,  no "up"
@ 2008-09-21  1:45     ` Lennart Borgman (gmail)
       [not found]     ` <mailman.19631.1221961544.18990.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: Lennart Borgman (gmail) @ 2008-09-21  1:45 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: David Combs; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

> Any idea how to refer to the sandisk?

It gets a drive letter, at least on my pc.

@ 2008-09-21  3:30       ` rustom
From: rustom @ 2008-09-21  3:30 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

On Sep 21, 6:45 am, "Lennart Borgman (gmail)"
<lennart.borg...@gmail.com> wrote:
> > Any idea how to refer to the sandisk?
>
> It gets a drive letter, at least on my pc.

Native emacs (for windows) is better than cygwin emacs

* Re: have installed cygwin, & "its" emacs. dired shows only subtree,  no "up"
@ 2008-09-21  4:30         ` David Combs
From: David Combs @ 2008-09-21  4:30 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

In article <9c7ab644-18fe-478f-9516-6b8f051aee7a@p31g2000prf.googlegroups.com>,
rustom  <rustompmody@gmail.com> wrote:
>On Sep 21, 6:45 am, "Lennart Borgman (gmail)"
><lennart.borg...@gmail.com> wrote:
>> > Any idea how to refer to the sandisk?
>>
>> It gets a drive letter, at least on my pc.
>
>Native emacs (for windows) is better than cygwin emacs

Well, OK.

Please, though, (so I can convince her to download yet
another humongous emacs ("ntemacs" is what you mean?)
onto her computer), please give a few reasons for
saying that.

THANKS!

David

* Re: have installed cygwin, & "its" emacs. dired shows only subtree,  no "up"
@ 2008-09-21  5:06           ` rustom
From: rustom @ 2008-09-21  5:06 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

On Sep 21, 9:30 am, dkco...@panix.com (David Combs) wrote:
> In article <9c7ab644-18fe-478f-9516-6b8f051ae...@p31g2000prf.googlegroups.com>,
>
> rustom  <rustompm...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> >> It gets a drive letter, at least on my pc.
>
> >Native emacs (for windows) is better than cygwin emacs
>
> Well, OK.
>
> Please, though, (so I can convince her to download yet
> another humongous emacs ("ntemacs" is what you mean?)
> onto her computer), please give a few reasons for
> saying that.
>
> THANKS!
>
> David

Yeah well then I take it back :-)

I myself have used unices for some 25 years and of late have been
suffering the windows world.
No not getting into OS-politics --just that I find I dont know how to
use windows in a reasonable way and the common claim that cygwin makes
windows into unix is far from true (for me).

So even though emacs on windows is not quite as native on windows as
on a unix (egs slash vs backslash, cannot read lnk files etc etc), it
at least understands it without the poor intermediation of cygwin.

So all you want to do is transfer firefox files to external hardware
going the way of cygwin-mount.el and all such arcana (which Ive never
got to work) is a sledgehammer for a nut.
Native emacs was my suggestion assuming that you had other (more emacs-
y) uses for emacs
But the most natural and simple way for moving files around on windows
is windows-explorer not dired!

* Re: have installed cygwin, & "its" emacs. dired shows only subtree, no "up"
@ 2008-09-21 17:58           ` Will Parsons
       [not found]             ` <mailman.19670.1222060252.18990.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: Will Parsons @ 2008-09-21 17:58 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

David Combs wrote:
> In article <9c7ab644-18fe-478f-9516-6b8f051aee7a@p31g2000prf.googlegroups.com>,
> rustom  <rustompmody@gmail.com> wrote:
>>>
>>> It gets a drive letter, at least on my pc.
>>
>>Native emacs (for windows) is better than cygwin emacs
>
> Well, OK.
>
> Please, though, (so I can convince her to download yet
> another humongous emacs ("ntemacs" is what you mean?)
> onto her computer), please give a few reasons for
> saying that.

I don't know what's better in your situation, but for years now I've made
Cygwin an integral part of how I use Windows, but have always used the
native Windows Emacs (NTEmacs).  The original reason for doing so was
that Cygwin Emacs had problems running in a command Window (without running
Cygwin X), and I had no other reasons for running the Cygwin X server.
Also (at least at the time), the Cygwin version of Emacs lagged behind the
current version of NTEmacs.  Using the cygwin-mount package with NTEmacs
gave the best of both worlds.  Nowadays, I'm running the Cygwin X server
for other reasons, and the situation may have changed, but I think it's
still an advantage to use the native version, if for no other reason than
if a problem occurs, one can ask on this newgroup directly, rather than
figuring out whether the question is more appropiate for the Cygwin mailing
list.

--
Will

* RE: have installed cygwin, & "its" emacs. dired shows only subtree, no "up"
@ 2008-09-22  5:10             ` Drew Adams
       [not found]             ` <mailman.19670.1222060252.18990.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: Drew Adams @ 2008-09-22  5:10 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ellenophilos, help-gnu-emacs

> I don't know what's better in your situation, but for years
> now I've made Cygwin an integral part of how I use Windows,
> but have always used the native Windows Emacs (NTEmacs).
> The original reason for doing so was that Cygwin Emacs had
> problems running in a command Window (without running
> Cygwin X), and I had no other reasons for running the Cygwin
> X server. Also (at least at the time), the Cygwin version of Emacs
> lagged behind the current version of NTEmacs.  Using the
> cygwin-mount package with NTEmacs gave the best of both worlds.
> Nowadays, I'm running the Cygwin X server for other reasons,
> and the situation may have changed, but I think it's
> still an advantage to use the native version, if for no other
> reason than if a problem occurs, one can ask on this newgroup
> directly, rather than figuring out whether the question is more
> appropiate for the Cygwin mailing list.

FWIW, I second that - I too use Cygwin with native Windows Emacs. I use these
two libraries. They are sufficient for me (in GNU Emacs 20, 21, 22, 23).

http://www.emacswiki.org/cgi-bin/wiki/cygwin-mount.el

http://www.emacswiki.org/cgi-bin/wiki/setup-cygwin.el

(when (and (eq system-type 'windows-nt)
           (require 'cygwin-mount nil t))
  (require 'setup-cygwin))

* Re: have installed cygwin, & "its" emacs. dired shows only subtree,  no "up"
@ 2008-09-22 19:45             ` David Combs
From: David Combs @ 2008-09-22 19:45 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

In article <4923507d-f4b7-493c-81f3-9f3977c80cbd@c22g2000prc.googlegroups.com>,
rustom  <rustompmody@gmail.com> wrote:

>Yeah well then I take it back :-)
>
>I myself have used unices for some 25 years and of late have been
>suffering the windows world.
>No not getting into OS-politics --just that I find I dont know how to
>use windows in a reasonable way and the common claim that cygwin makes
>windows into unix is far from true (for me).

Yeah -- haven't seen how to get a dtterm-like or xterm-like or even
vt100-like window that's FULL SCREEN SIZED!   (Do you, or anyone,
knowhow to do that?)

>So even though emacs on windows is not quite as native on windows as

  Am confused: are you comparing "emacs" (ANY emacs) running on windows
  compared to emacs on unix/linux?

  Or are you comparing NTemacs (on windows, of course) with the
  emacs that cygwin "setup" lists as something to include as
  a tool available under CYGWIN?

>on a unix (egs slash vs backslash, cannot read lnk files etc etc), it
>at least understands it without the poor intermediation of cygwin.
>
>So all you want to do is transfer firefox files to external hardware
>going the way of cygwin-mount.el and all such arcana (which Ive never

                  ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ thanks for informing me of this!

>got to work) is a sledgehammer for a nut.
>Native emacs was my suggestion assuming that you had other (more emacs-
>y) uses for emacs
>But the most natural and simple way for moving files around on windows
>is windows-explorer not dired!

Well, I've done it via window's (well, xp's) "my computer" facility.

Works ok, not bad.

QUESTION: using "my computer", I look at the sansa-clip's internal directory,
or what seems to be it.  Under "internalmemory", there's "music", this,
that, and the other, PLUS something I called "WBAI".  (these "dirs"
are all at the same level, seemingly direct-children of "internalmemory".

When I copy files (downloaded into "downloads" on my wife's pc)
from there, for the "where to" I click on "WBAI".  And I can
watch them going there.

OK, nice -- nice to be able to have the dir-tree of
the mp3 device mirrored right there onto the pc!

EXCEPT -- when I turn on the mp3-device itself,
there's no "WBAI" dir anywhere to be seen!

I must go to MUSIC and under that to SONGS --
and it's THERE that all the files ended up at.

So I'm not so clear on just what I'm seeing in EITHER
place -- "my computer's" "mirror" or the device itself.

Any ideas?

ALSO -- I first saw the sansa-CLIP (4gb) at Costco, at a discount,
so I (spendthrift!) bought TWO of them.

So, I hook both of them, simultaneously, to the computer.

And (if they're plugged in BEFORE I bring-up the pc) they're
both recognized, both icons show up in "my computer".

QUESTION: no label identifyhing them, ie no seeming way to
refer to one vs the other OTHER THAN by POINTING AT IT
("UG -- ME SEE TWO MP3 DEVICES!   ME WANT TO LOOK AT *THAT* ONE.
   UGG!  SEE -- THAT ONE THERE!   UG!").

Suggestions as to any NAME for them?

THANKS!

David

@ 2008-09-22 19:57               ` David Combs
From: David Combs @ 2008-09-22 19:57 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

In article <mailman.19670.1222060252.18990.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>,
Drew Adams <drew.adams@oracle.com> wrote:
>> I don't know what's better in your situation, but for years
>> now I've made Cygwin an integral part of how I use Windows,
>> but have always used the native Windows Emacs (NTEmacs).
>> The original reason for doing so was that Cygwin Emacs had
>> problems running in a command Window (without running
>> Cygwin X), and I had no other reasons for running the Cygwin
>> X server. Also (at least at the time), the Cygwin version of Emacs
>> lagged behind the current version of NTEmacs.  Using the
>> cygwin-mount package with NTEmacs gave the best of both worlds.
>> Nowadays, I'm running the Cygwin X server for other reasons,
>> and the situation may have changed, but I think it's
>> still an advantage to use the native version, if for no other
>> reason than if a problem occurs, one can ask on this newgroup
>> directly, rather than figuring out whether the question is more
>> appropiate for the Cygwin mailing list.
>
>FWIW, I second that - I too use Cygwin with native Windows Emacs. I use these
>two libraries. They are sufficient for me (in GNU Emacs 20, 21, 22, 23).
>
>http://www.emacswiki.org/cgi-bin/wiki/cygwin-mount.el
>
>http://www.emacswiki.org/cgi-bin/wiki/setup-cygwin.el
>
>(when (and (eq system-type 'windows-nt)
>           (require 'cygwin-mount nil t))
>  (require 'setup-cygwin))

Thank you!

When my wife gets back in 10 days, I'll ask her for
"permission" to get NTemacs.

I guess you can get FULL-SCREEN emacs display too?  (I hope!)

Question: so that when-code lives in your standard .emacs?

Thanks much!

David

PS: does anyone besides me use the SAME mp3-device as mine,
     the sansa CLIP (4gb, ie newer than the 2gb, maybe
     newer software on it.)?

* RE: have installed cygwin, & "its" emacs. dired shows only subtree, no "up"
@ 2008-09-22 21:00                 ` Drew Adams
From: Drew Adams @ 2008-09-22 21:00 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 'David Combs', help-gnu-emacs

> > FWIW, I second that - I too use Cygwin with native Windows
> > Emacs. I use these two libraries. They are sufficient for me
> > (in GNU Emacs 20, 21, 22, 23).
> > http://www.emacswiki.org/cgi-bin/wiki/cygwin-mount.el
> > http://www.emacswiki.org/cgi-bin/wiki/setup-cygwin.el
> >
> > (when (and (eq system-type 'windows-nt)
> >            (require 'cygwin-mount nil t))
> >   (require 'setup-cygwin))
>
> Thank you!
> When my wife gets back in 10 days, I'll ask her for
> "permission" to get NTemacs.

FWIW, I use GNU Emacs for Windows, from here:
http://ftp.gnu.org/gnu/emacs/windows/

Or I use a development (Emacs 23) version from here:
http://ourcomments.org/cgi-bin/emacsw32-dl-latest.pl

For the latter, I personally use the "Download only latest Emacs unpatched as a
zip file" link, but many people prefer the patched version, which comes with its
own installer for Windows.

In any case, if you try Emacs 23, keep in mind that it is under development (=
not stable). I recommend any of the Emacs 22 releases (.1, .2, .3).

> I guess you can get FULL-SCREEN emacs display too?  (I hope!)

Just to be clear - I use Emacs with a window manager (Windows), not in console
mode (emacs -nw), and yes, I believe there is something like a full-screen mode.
That is, you can make an Emacs frame as big as your screen (which is not exactly
the same thing as maximize) - or bigger. Other people can answer better how
closely Emacs lets you get to a true full-screen mode - I'm no expert on that.

> Question: so that when-code lives in your standard .emacs?

Yes.

FYI, there is also an Emacs mailing list specifically for Windows:
help-emacs-windows@gnu.org