all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* How to change key bindings in a particular mode
@ 2009-04-22 14:12 Guo Qiang
From: Guo Qiang @ 2009-04-22 14:12 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Hi, all

I am now writing a small function for mew. I want to remake
key bingings to a function in mew's draft mode. How can I do
that ?

Thank you

* RE: How to change key bindings in a particular mode
@ 2009-04-22 20:30 ` Drew Adams
From: Drew Adams @ 2009-04-22 20:30 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: 'Guo Qiang', help-gnu-emacs

> I am now writing a small function for mew. I want to remake
> key bingings to a function in mew's draft mode. How can I do
> that ?

1. Find the name of the mode: `C-h v major-mode'. Example: `foo-mode'.

2. The mode's keymap is probably the same, with `-map' appended. Example:
`foo-mode-map'.

3. Define or redefine each of the keys you want in that map, using function
`define-key'. Example: (define-key foo-mode-map "\C-a" 'my-cmd)

To see the key bindings for a mode, use `C-h b'.

To better see the key bindings in a particular keymap, use `describe-keymap',
avaiable in library `help-fns+.el':
http://www.emacswiki.org/emacs/help-fns%2b.el
http://www.emacswiki.org/emacs/HelpPlus

* Re: How to change key bindings in a particular mode
@ 2009-04-23  7:14   ` Tassilo Horn
From: Tassilo Horn @ 2009-04-23  7:14 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Hi!

> 3. Define or redefine each of the keys you want in that map, using
> function `define-key'. Example: (define-key foo-mode-map "\C-a"
> 'my-cmd)
>
> To see the key bindings for a mode, use `C-h b'.

Just a short addition: Instead of using somewhat special keybinding
syntax like "\C-a", you can also use (kbd "C-a").  This has the benefit
that the `kbd' macro accepts the keys exactly as they're printed by the
help commands (like `C-h k' and `C-h b').

Bye,
Tassilo