all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* caps lock confusion
@ 2009-03-20 14:56 kj
From: kj @ 2009-03-20 14:56 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

I have had this problem occur to me about half a dozen times in
the last two weeks (I don't know why, this had never happened
before):  Emacs suddenly starts interpreting my keystrokes as if
the caps lock key had been pressed (all caps, etc.), except it
hasn't been; and if I do press the caps lock key, then Emacs will
interpret my keystrokes in the opposite way, as if the caps lock
were off.

My caps lock key appears to be in perfect order.  It has a little
light that indicates when it is on.  And the behaviors of all other
applications are consistent with this indicator.  Emacs is the only
one whose behavior is backwards.

In the past, the only way I have found to solve this problem is to
kill and restart Emacs, which I find terribly disruptive.

Is there some other way to reset Emacs?

Also, any tips that would help me troubleshoot this problem would
be greatly appreciated!

Kynn