all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* Cedet code completition??
@ 2011-07-03  5:51 Jai Dayal
From: Jai Dayal @ 2011-07-03  5:51 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: Help-gnu-emacs

I want to setup code completion via Cedet, however the installation and
configuration is NOT clear in the instructions at all.  Does anyone have
experience with this, who could perhaps send a quick step-by-step guide my
way?

Thanks so much!

* Re: Cedet code completition??
@ 2011-07-03  9:22 ` Richard Riley
From: Richard Riley @ 2011-07-03  9:22 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Jai Dayal <dayalsoap@gmail.com> writes:

> I want to setup code completion via Cedet, however the installation
> and configuration is NOT clear in the instructions at all.  Does
> anyone have experience with this, who could perhaps send a quick
> step-by-step guide my way?
>
> Thanks so much!

There is article on the net by Alex Ott on this. It might well be out of
date however. cedet proved too complex to set up in
general for me and I moved on.

http://alexott.net/en/writings/emacs-devenv/EmacsCedet.html

For completion I recommend using auto-complete which can complete using
semantic (a component of the rather larger cedet) completion candidates.

http://cx4a.org/software/auto-complete/

* Re: Cedet code completition??
@ 2011-07-03 13:31   ` Perry Smith
From: Perry Smith @ 2011-07-03 13:31 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: help-gnu-emacs

On Jul 3, 2011, at 4:22 AM, Richard Riley wrote:

> Jai Dayal <dayalsoap@gmail.com> writes:
>
>> I want to setup code completion via Cedet, however the installation
>> and configuration is NOT clear in the instructions at all.  Does
>> anyone have experience with this, who could perhaps send a quick
>> step-by-step guide my way?
>>
>> Thanks so much!
>
> There is article on the net by Alex Ott on this. It might well be out of
> date however. cedet proved too complex to set up in
> general for me and I moved on.
>
> http://alexott.net/en/writings/emacs-devenv/EmacsCedet.html
>
> For completion I recommend using auto-complete which can complete using
> semantic (a component of the rather larger cedet) completion candidates.
>
> http://cx4a.org/software/auto-complete/

Yea.  If the cedet guy is listening... I had the same experience.  I've tried very hard at least twice to set it up and make it productive but I failed both times.

Back in 1990 or so, I hooked up cscope to emacs, (and others have too), and I've yet to see anything, even Java IDEs, that approach the power of just those two things.

* Re: Cedet code completition??
@ 2011-07-03 16:39     ` Jai Dayal
From: Jai Dayal @ 2011-07-03 16:39 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: Perry Smith; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

Using ECB, I've been able to get it to work using M-/.  It's not too
daunting, although, it's not really documented well.

Thanks for the auto-complete link.  ECB promising something like this, but I
haven't been able to get that to work yet.  I will try auto-complete as it
looks more like what I want.

On Sun, Jul 3, 2011 at 9:31 AM, Perry Smith <pedzsan@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Jul 3, 2011, at 4:22 AM, Richard Riley wrote:
>
> Jai Dayal <dayalsoap@gmail.com> writes:
>
> I want to setup code completion via Cedet, however the installation
>
> and configuration is NOT clear in the instructions at all.  Does
>
> anyone have experience with this, who could perhaps send a quick
>
> step-by-step guide my way?
>

> Thanks so much!
>

> There is article on the net by Alex Ott on this. It might well be out of
> date however. cedet proved too complex to set up in
> general for me and I moved on.
>
> http://alexott.net/en/writings/emacs-devenv/EmacsCedet.html
>
> For completion I recommend using auto-complete which can complete using
> semantic (a component of the rather larger cedet) completion candidates.
>
> http://cx4a.org/software/auto-complete/
>

> Yea.  If the cedet guy is listening... I had the same experience.  I've
> tried very hard at least twice to set it up and make it productive but I
> failed both times.
>
> Back in 1990 or so, I hooked up cscope to emacs, (and others have too), and
> I've yet to see anything, even Java IDEs, that approach the power of just
> those two things.

* Re: Cedet code completition??
@ 2011-07-04 13:15     ` Oleksandr Gavenko
From: Oleksandr Gavenko @ 2011-07-04 13:15 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: help-gnu-emacs

On 03.07.2011 16:31, Perry Smith wrote:

> On Jul 3, 2011, at 4:22 AM, Richard Riley wrote:
>> There is article on the net by Alex Ott on this. It might well be out of
>> date however. cedet proved too complex to set up in
>> general for me and I moved on.
>>
>> http://alexott.net/en/writings/emacs-devenv/EmacsCedet.html
>>
>> For completion I recommend using auto-complete which can complete using
>> semantic (a component of the rather larger cedet) completion candidates.
>>
>> http://cx4a.org/software/auto-complete/
>
> Yea. If the cedet guy is listening... I had the same experience. I've
> tried very hard at least twice to set it up and make it productive but I
> failed both times.

I use CEDET only for 'semantic-idle-summary-mode'.

I have troubles all time when try setup code completion and goto def
features.

> Back in 1990 or so, I hooked up cscope to emacs, (and others have too),
> and I've yet to see anything, even Java IDEs, that approach the power of
> just those two things.

ctags as I work only with plain C code. For easy use in multiproject
environment I use 'etags-table.el' and 'etags-select.el'.
I am happy.