Resending for review. ---- > From: Richard Stallman Sent: Tuesday, January 15, 2008 6:42 PM > Would people please read the file fit-frame.el > that was sent by Drew Adams on Dec 30, and comment on it? ---- > From: Drew Adams Sent: Sunday, December 30, 2007 7:02 PM > Attached is library `fit-frame.el', for possible inclusion in Emacs. > > Command `fit-frame' fits a frame to its buffer(s). See the > doc string, in particular, for the use of a prefix arg. A > common use is to fit a one-window frame to its buffer. > > Users can set minimum and maximum width and height limits. > Within those limits, the width of a one-window frame that has > been fit accommodates all of the buffer lines without > wrapping, and the height accommodates all of the buffer lines. > > Please give it a try. Let me know, especially, how well it > works on different platforms and with different kinds of > buffers. I've tried to take into account the menu-bar, > minibuffer, and tool-bar, and I've tried to compensate for > long header lines in some buffers, such as Dired. > > Wrt the last point: header lines can be wrapped in some modes > - see option `fit-frame-skip-header-lines-alist'. In these > cases, a header line is ignored, in order not to let its > exceptional length skew the width measurement. Example: Dired > with `dired-details' hiding details - the frame is only as > wide as the longest file-name length, not the directory name > in the header line. > > Note too that if a buffer contains faces larger than the > default for the frame, or characters that are extra-wide, > then fitting is not perfect. For example, TAB characters in > Info menus can in some cases cause a menu line to wrap, and > likewise for the slightly larger characters of raised buttons > in Customize. This is because the computed size is based only > on the frame's default character size.