all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* copying and pasting in emacs
@ 2009-04-05 14:17 luca.pamparana
From: luca.pamparana @ 2009-04-05 14:17 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Hello,

I am unable to figure out how to select and copy text as you would do
in another editors:

For example, one thing I normally need to do is select from the
current position upto the next few words. Normally, I just press shift
+ ctrl and the left or right arrow key and the editor would highlight
one word at a time. I have so far been unable to figure out how to
highlight text in emacs using the keyboard.

Anyone knows how I can do it esp. highlighting one word, line etc. at
a time.

Many thanks,

Luca

* RE: copying and pasting in emacs
@ 2009-04-06  9:07 Bourgneuf Francois
       [not found] ` <mailman.4706.1239028278.31690.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: Bourgneuf Francois @ 2009-04-06  9:07 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: luca.pamparana, help-gnu-emacs

C-<space> to mark the beginnig of the region you want to copy,
then move to the end of the region
M-w to copy

Use C-y for pasting (y stands for yank)
bour9

@ 2009-04-06  9:47 Daniel Dalton
From: Daniel Dalton @ 2009-04-06  9:47 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: help-gnu-emacs

On Mon, Apr 06, 2009 at 11:07:41AM +0200, Bourgneuf Francois wrote:
> Use C-y for pasting (y stands for yank)

I know I'm going to probably get yelled at, sorry I know I should go
read the manual, but considering this was asked, what's the command to
grab an old yank?
eg. yank something that was cut before the last cut?
eg. ctr+space ctr+w ctr+k then oh damn, how do I paste that first block
of text?

Hope that makes sense!

Thx

Daniel.