all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* Non-breaking space entry in NEWS
@ 2008-08-22 19:37 Chong Yidong
From: Chong Yidong @ 2008-08-22 19:37 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-devel

NEWS contains this line:

  *** Non-breaking space is now displayed as whitespace.

Does anyone remember what does this entry refers to?  Non-breaking space
is highlighted (nobreak-char-display defaults to t), just like in Emacs
23.  What's changed?

* Re: Non-breaking space entry in NEWS
@ 2008-08-22 19:58 ` Lawrence Mitchell
From: Lawrence Mitchell @ 2008-08-22 19:58 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-devel

Chong Yidong wrote:
> NEWS contains this line:

>   *** Non-breaking space is now displayed as whitespace.

> Does anyone remember what does this entry refers to?  Non-breaking space
> is highlighted (nobreak-char-display defaults to t), just like in Emacs
> 23.  What's changed?

The original news entry (before the reorganisition change on Jun
26) was by Richard.

| * Lisp changes in Emacs 23.1

| ** Non-breaking space now acts as whitespace.

And goes along with the following change:

| 2007-07-30  Richard Stallman  <rms@gnu.org>

|        * emacs-lisp/lisp-mode.el (emacs-lisp-mode-syntax-table):
|        Treat non-break space as whitespace in Lisp.

| 2007-07-30  Richard Stallman  <rms@gnu.org>

|        * lread.c (readevalloop, read1): Treat NBSP as whitespace.

Cheers,
Lawrence
--
Lawrence Mitchell <wence@gmx.li>

* RE: Non-breaking space entry in NEWS
@ 2008-08-22 20:15   ` Drew Adams
From: Drew Adams @ 2008-08-22 20:15 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 'Lawrence Mitchell', emacs-devel

> > NEWS contains this line:
>
> >   *** Non-breaking space is now displayed as whitespace.
>
> > Does anyone remember what does this entry refers to?
> Non-breaking space
> > is highlighted (nobreak-char-display defaults to t), just
> like in Emacs
> > 23.  What's changed?
>
> The original news entry (before the reorganisition change on Jun
> 26) was by Richard.
>
> | * Lisp changes in Emacs 23.1
>
> | ** Non-breaking space now acts as whitespace.
>
> And goes along with the following change:
>
> | 2007-07-30  Richard Stallman  <rms@gnu.org>
>
> |        * emacs-lisp/lisp-mode.el (emacs-lisp-mode-syntax-table):
> |        Treat non-break space as whitespace in Lisp.
>

> | 2007-07-30  Richard Stallman  <rms@gnu.org>
>
> |        * lread.c (readevalloop, read1): Treat NBSP as whitespace.

I believe this was the thread that led to the change:
http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/emacs-devel/2007-07/msg01297.html