all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* How to get to info mode
@ 2009-10-20 22:26 eric5931
From: eric5931 @ 2009-10-20 22:26 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

I'm using emacs 23.1.1 in a new RHEL 5 host. When I visit any INFO
files, like /usr/share/info/dir, somehow the emacs didn't get to INFO
mode as in my other hosts. Instead, it is in  "Text Fly" mode and I
cannot use the links to see related info. How could I set it to info
mode?

Also, do I need to do anything in my .eamcs to let it automatically
goto info mode? I thought emacs should do this by itself.

Eric

* Re: How to get to info mode
@ 2009-10-20 23:06 ` Pascal J. Bourguignon
       [not found]   ` <mailman.9188.1256082833.2239.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: Pascal J. Bourguignon @ 2009-10-20 23:06 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

eric5931 <eric5931@gmail.com> writes:

> I'm using emacs 23.1.1 in a new RHEL 5 host. When I visit any INFO
> files, like /usr/share/info/dir, somehow the emacs didn't get to INFO
> mode as in my other hosts. Instead, it is in  "Text Fly" mode and I
> cannot use the links to see related info. How could I set it to info
> mode?
>
> Also, do I need to do anything in my .eamcs to let it automatically
> goto info mode? I thought emacs should do this by itself.
>
> Eric

You should be able to access to the info files in standard directories
such as /usr/share/info by typing: C-h i  or M-x info RET

You can also add directories to the variable Info-directory-list.

--
__Pascal Bourguignon__

* RE: How to get to info mode
@ 2009-10-20 23:53   ` Drew Adams
       [not found]   ` <mailman.9188.1256082833.2239.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: Drew Adams @ 2009-10-20 23:53 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

> > I'm using emacs 23.1.1 in a new RHEL 5 host. When I visit any INFO
> > files, like /usr/share/info/dir, somehow the emacs didn't
> > get to INFO mode as in my other hosts. Instead, it is in
> > "Text Fly" mode and I cannot use the links to see related info.
> > How could I set it to info mode?
> >
> > Also, do I need to do anything in my .eamcs to let it automatically
> > goto info mode? I thought emacs should do this by itself.
>
> You should be able to access to the info files in standard directories
> such as /usr/share/info by typing: C-h i  or M-x info RET
>
> You can also add directories to the variable Info-directory-list.

Start by finding out why it is in "Text Fly" mode. Find out what the function is
that sets that mode (probably something like `text-fly-mode'). Find out where
that function gets called (in the Lisp code you load).

If that is a major mode, check the value of `auto-mode-alist' - perhaps some
code you load adds a mapping for `*.info' files to `text-fly-mode'.

* Re: How to get to info mode
@ 2009-10-21 10:44 ` Anselm Helbig
From: Anselm Helbig @ 2009-10-21 10:44 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

At Tue, 20 Oct 2009 15:26:56 -0700 (PDT),
eric5931 <eric5931@gmail.com> wrote:

> I'm using emacs 23.1.1 in a new RHEL 5 host. When I visit any INFO
> files, like /usr/share/info/dir, somehow the emacs didn't get to INFO
> mode as in my other hosts. Instead, it is in  "Text Fly" mode and I
> cannot use the links to see related info. How could I set it to info
> mode?
>
> Also, do I need to do anything in my .eamcs to let it automatically
> goto info mode? I thought emacs should do this by itself.

dired-x has the command `dired-info' and binds it to `I' in
dired-mode. However, this only makes sense for previewing info
documentation you don't want to install. C-h i is the normal way to
read info documents.

HTH,

Anselm

--
Anselm Helbig
mailto:anselm.helbig+news2009@googlemail.com

* Re: How to get to info mode
       [not found]   ` <mailman.9188.1256082833.2239.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
@ 2009-10-21 13:50     ` Colin S. Miller
From: Colin S. Miller @ 2009-10-21 13:50 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Drew Adams wrote:

> Start by finding out why it is in "Text Fly" mode. Find out what the function is
> that sets that mode (probably something like `text-fly-mode'). Find out where
> that function gets called (in the Lisp code you load).

"Fly" is the status-name of the minor mode "flyspell-mode" which underlines
incorrectly spelled words, like most modern word processors. So the OP's
emacs is most likely in text-mode with flyspell-mode.

Eric,
did you open the .texti files using C-x C-f,
or did you use C-h i to enter info mode,
and then navigate to the info node of interest?

HTH,
Colin S. Miller

--
Replace the obvious in my email address with the first three letters of the hostname to reply.

* Re: How to get to info mode
@ 2009-10-21 18:36       ` eric5931
From: eric5931 @ 2009-10-21 18:36 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

On Oct 21, 6:50 am, "Colin S. Miller" <no-spam-
thank-...@csmiller.demon.co.uk> wrote:
> Drew Adams wrote:
>
> > Start by finding out why it is in "Text Fly" mode. Find out what the function is
> > that sets that mode (probably something like `text-fly-mode'). Find out where
> > that function gets called (in the Lisp code you load).
>
> "Fly" is the status-name of the minor mode "flyspell-mode" which underlines
> incorrectly spelled words, like most modern word processors. So the OP's
> emacs is most likely in text-mode with flyspell-mode.
>
> Eric,
> did you open the .texti files using C-x C-f,
> or did you use C-h i to enter info mode,
> and then navigate to the info node of interest?
>
> HTH,
> Colin S. Miller
>
> --
> Replace the obvious in my email address with the first three letters of the hostname to reply.

I jump to info mode with saved bookmarks. I have tried C-h i. It works
for my own info file. But everytime I jump to /usr/share/info/dir, it
showed the correct file, but in "Text Fly" mode and is in a normal
buffer, not *info* buffer. When I repeat this to go to teh Emacs info
file, it is in the correct mode though.

Eric.

* Re: How to get to info mode
       [not found]   ` <mailman.9188.1256082833.2239.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
@ 2009-10-21 18:38     ` eric5931
From: eric5931 @ 2009-10-21 18:38 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

On Oct 20, 4:53 pm, "Drew Adams" <drew.ad...@oracle.com> wrote:
> > > I'm using emacs 23.1.1 in a new RHEL 5 host. When I visit any INFO
> > > files, like /usr/share/info/dir, somehow the emacs didn't
> > > get to INFO mode as in my other hosts. Instead, it is in
> > > "Text Fly" mode and I cannot use the links to see related info.
> > > How could I set it to info mode?
>
> > > Also, do I need to do anything in my .eamcs to let it automatically
> > > goto info mode? I thought emacs should do this by itself.
>
> > You should be able to access to the info files in standard directories
> > such as /usr/share/info by typing: C-h i  or M-x info RET
>
> > You can also add directories to the variable Info-directory-list.
>
> Start by finding out why it is in "Text Fly" mode. Find out what the function is
> that sets that mode (probably something like `text-fly-mode'). Find out where
> that function gets called (in the Lisp code you load).
>
> If that is a major mode, check the value of `auto-mode-alist' - perhaps some
> code you load adds a mapping for `*.info' files to `text-fly-mode'.

Thanks. I added a auto-mode-alist line for the file "dir". But it
didn't help. I did a grep to see anything change the mode. It all
looks allright to me.

Eric

* Re: How to get to info mode
@ 2009-10-21 18:43 ` eric5931
From: eric5931 @ 2009-10-21 18:43 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Hi all,

Thanks very much for all your help and information.

I tried to use bookmark to jump around different info roots (/usr/
share/info, emacs, and my own tips). It works in other boxes but just
not this one.

With the info I got here, I finally decided to add my local info file
to "Info-directory-list". This gives me a very big list whic hcontains
everything (which I was trying to avoid by using bookmarks). But it
works now.

I still don't know why this emacs (built from source) didn't
automatically recognize /usr/share/info/dir though.

Eric.

On Oct 20, 3:26 pm, eric5931 <eric5...@gmail.com> wrote:
> I'm using emacs 23.1.1 in a new RHEL 5 host. When I visit any INFO
> files, like /usr/share/info/dir, somehow the emacs didn't get to INFO
> mode as in my other hosts. Instead, it is in  "Text Fly" mode and I
> cannot use the links to see related info. How could I set it to info
> mode?
>
> Also, do I need to do anything in my .eamcs to let it automatically
> goto info mode? I thought emacs should do this by itself.
>
> Eric

* RE: How to get to info mode
@ 2009-10-21 20:06       ` Drew Adams
From: Drew Adams @ 2009-10-21 20:06 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 'eric5931', help-gnu-emacs

> > If that is a major mode, check the value of
> > `auto-mode-alist' - perhaps some
> > code you load adds a mapping for `*.info' files to `text-fly-mode'.
>
> Thanks. I added a auto-mode-alist line for the file "dir". But it
> didn't help. I did a grep to see anything change the mode. It all
> looks allright to me.

No, don't fiddle with `auto-mode-alist' unless it is already mapping `.info' to
the wrong mode.

> I jump to info mode with saved bookmarks. I have tried C-h i. It works
> for my own info file. But everytime I jump to /usr/share/info/dir, it
> showed the correct file, but in "Text Fly" mode and is in a normal
> buffer, not *info* buffer. When I repeat this to go to teh Emacs info
> file, it is in the correct mode though.

If `C-h i' works for your own file, but not for some others, then they are not
listed in the `dir' that you are using. It sounds like you need to do what
Pascal suggested:

 > You can also add directories to the variable Info-directory-list

Or better yet, customize option `Info-additional-directory-list', which is
intended for user modification.

* Re: RE: How to get to info mode
@ 2009-10-22 18:46         ` eric5931
From: eric5931 @ 2009-10-22 18:46 UTC (permalink / raw)