Same problems, in fact, when I extract this version emacs, and startup without any other installation, its calendar won't work either. I also run addpm.exe to install emacs. Error message: Loading calendar...done update-calendar-mode-line: Invalid read syntax: "#" When I input "M-x calendar" again, error message turn into: update-calendar-mode-line: Invalid read syntax: "] in a list" "niDapeng" writes: > I download emacs 21.3.1 Windows version( release date: > 26-Jan-2004). I meet so many problems. First, it can run up > calendar, mail, etc. Others, Many lisp programs can't work well too, > such as screen-lines.el, XAE(for docbook, emacs even can't startup > if installed XAE)! What happens if you start Emacs as follows: emacs -q -no-site-file And then type M-x calendar RET? Does Emacs crash? Does it print an error message? What error message? Kai