all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* some information to build a major-mode
@ 2007-10-10 10:05 Sauro Cesaretti
From: Sauro Cesaretti @ 2007-10-10 10:05 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Hi all,

I'm a blind student and I need your help to set up a major mode in emacs to
define a simple enviroment that permits
to insert all the symbols that I defined to write mathematical expression.
I understand a little how I can define a major mode but now I don't know
if there is a function that permits me to insert a symbol in the buffer
where I'm writing, by means of a shortcut.
I have a table of symbols that I use and I'd like to define some
shortcuts to insert them in a fast way.

Thanks in advance for your help!

Best regards, Sauro

Checked by AVG Free Edition.
16.43

* Re: some information to build a major-mode
       [not found] <mailman.1915.1192010728.18990.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
@ 2007-10-10 17:27 ` Stefan Monnier
From: Stefan Monnier @ 2007-10-10 17:27 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

> I'm a blind student and I need your help to set up a major mode in emacs to
> define a simple enviroment that permits
> to insert all the symbols that I defined to write mathematical expression.
> I understand a little how I can define a major mode but now I don't know
> if there is a function that permits me to insert a symbol in the buffer
> where I'm writing, by means of a shortcut.
> I have a table of symbols that I use and I'd like to define some
> shortcuts to insert them in a fast way.

I'm not sure you need a major mode.  I use the "TeX" input method to insert
mathematical symbols.  I.e. Try C-u C-\ TeX RET and then type \alpha

* Re: some information to build a major-mode
@ 2007-10-20 15:58 ` Nikolaj Schumacher
From: Nikolaj Schumacher @ 2007-10-20 15:58 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Sauro Cesaretti; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

"Sauro Cesaretti" <me@saurocesaretti.com> wrote:

> I'm a blind student and I need your help to set up a major mode in emacs to
> define a simple enviroment that permits
> to insert all the symbols that I defined to write mathematical expression.
> I understand a little how I can define a major mode but now I don't know
> if there is a function that permits me to insert a symbol in the buffer
> where I'm writing, by means of a shortcut.
> I have a table of symbols that I use and I'd like to define some
> shortcuts to insert them in a fast way.

It doesn't sound like you want a major mode.  What I'd suggest depends on
what you mean by shortcut:  text or a key-strokes?

If it's the first, look into abbrevs, for the second you can write your own
functions, which you can then bind to keys.  They could look like this.

(defun insert-foo ()
  (interactive)
  (insert "foo"))

regards,