all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* bug#7811: Emacs Bug (Unicode - Japanese)
@ 2011-01-09 22:01 Kuang, Yan Tian
From: Kuang, Yan Tian @ 2011-01-09 22:01 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 7811

Hello

I found this little bug on Emacs that I thought I would report to you guys.

I am unable to display one Japanese character and only one character. I can display all other characters but just this one.

The character is: ー
The HTML code: ー
According to the Unicode table, the character is on column: 1C, and row: 30E0

I also provided a screenshot.

I am using Emacs for Windows 7, I am able to get the character display on all my other editors but just Emacs. So I don’t think it is a font problem. I tried using the default font on Courier New Monospace and Lucida Console, both of them does not display the character. They both display all the other characters but just this one…

I was wondering if there’s a way to fix this problem?

Thank You

Yan

[-- Attachment #2: EmacsScreen.png --]
[-- Type: image/png, Size: 162004 bytes --]

* bug#7811: Emacs Bug (Unicode - Japanese)
@ 2011-01-09 23:53 ` Lennart Borgman
From: Lennart Borgman @ 2011-01-09 23:53 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Kuang, Yan Tian; +Cc: 7811

2011/1/9 Kuang, Yan Tian <ykuang@purdue.edu>:
> Hello
>

> I found this little bug on Emacs that I thought I would report to you guys.
>

> I am unable to display one Japanese character and only one character. I can
> display all other characters but just this one.

Please provide more information about your Emacs version etc. The
easiest way is to use "M-x report-emacs-bug".

* bug#7811: Emacs Bug (Unicode - Japanese)
@ 2011-01-10  0:49 ` Jason Rumney
From: Jason Rumney @ 2011-01-10  0:49 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Kuang, Yan Tian; +Cc: 7811

On 10/01/2011 06:01, Kuang, Yan Tian wrote:

> Hello
>
> I found this little bug on Emacs that I thought I would report to you
> guys.
>
> I am unable to display one Japanese character and only one character.
> I can display all other characters but just this one.
>
> The character is: ー
>
> The HTML code: &#12540;
>
> According to the Unicode table, the character is on column: 1C, and
> row: 30E0
>
> I also provided a screenshot.
>
> I am using Emacs for Windows 7, I am able to get the character display
> on all my other editors but just Emacs. So I don’t think it is a font
> problem. I tried using the default font on Courier New Monospace and
> Lucida Console, both of them does not display the character. They both
> display all the other characters but just this one…

Neither of those fonts is a Japanese font, try using Meiro instead..
Vista and Windows 7 seem to have a font fallback mechanism that makes
all fonts appear to support Japanese, so Emacs cannot automatically
choose an appropriate font. But the fallback support is incomplete, or
appears to be from the APIs that Emacs uses.

* bug#7811: Emacs Bug (Unicode - Japanese)
@ 2011-01-10  3:23   ` Yan Tian Kuang
From: Yan Tian Kuang @ 2011-01-10  3:23 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 'Jason Rumney'; +Cc: 7811

Hello

Thank you for the replies, I tried out different fonts, Meiro doesn’t seem
to be an options though.

I mean, if it display all the other Japanese characters, why doesn’t it
display this only one?

I can display it on MySQL, Firefox, Chrome, Notepad, Dreamweaver and other
different programs, just emacs…

I also attached my .emacs config files in case if it helps any…

I am running Emacs 23.2.1 (i386-mingw-nt6.1.7600) of 2010-05-08 on G41R2F1

This is a windows binary downloaded from GNU Emacs site. I am running it
under Windows 7 64 bit.