all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* stacked diacritics in version 23
@ 2009-09-17 13:15 B. T. Raven
From: B. T. Raven @ 2009-09-17 13:15 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Is it possible with the new version to stack diacritics using both
composed and uncomposed glyphs? What is the limit on the number of
diacritics? Will they overlap descenders of the preceding line of text?

Ed

* Re: stacked diacritics in version 23
@ 2009-09-17 14:48 ` Teemu Likonen
From: Teemu Likonen @ 2009-09-17 14:48 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: help-gnu-emacs

On 2009-09-17 08:15 (-0500), B. T. Raven wrote:

> Is it possible with the new version to stack diacritics using both
> composed and uncomposed glyphs? What is the limit on the number of
> diacritics? Will they overlap descenders of the preceding line of
> text?

I’m not quite sure what you mean but I got this from my Finnish
keyboard:

    previous line
    ụ̧̨̄̈̂̃́̀̌̆̊̉̋̈̄̇
    next line

It’s U+1E7B LATIN SMALL LETTER U WITH MACRON AND DIAERESIS with added
combining diacritical marks.

* Re: stacked diacritics in version 23
@ 2009-09-17 17:21   ` B. T. Raven
From: B. T. Raven @ 2009-09-17 17:21 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Teemu Likonen wrote:
> On 2009-09-17 08:15 (-0500), B. T. Raven wrote:
>
>> Is it possible with the new version to stack diacritics using both
>> composed and uncomposed glyphs? What is the limit on the number of
>> diacritics? Will they overlap descenders of the preceding line of
>> text?
>
> I’m not quite sure what you mean but I got this from my Finnish
> keyboard:
>
>     previous line
>     ụ̧̨̄̈̂̃́̀̌̆̊̉̋̈̄̇
>     next line
>
> It’s U+1E7B LATIN SMALL LETTER U WITH MACRON AND DIAERESIS with added
> combining diacritical marks.

I don't see this correctly on Thunderbird where they are all jammed
together (non-monospace font). In this reply window they are strung out
starting with the macroned umlauted u.

I wanted to be able (using an appropriate input method) to type an ascii
-range character and then something between U+0300 and U+036f to be
stacked (lower to higher on top, and higher to lower on bottom) above
(below) the base glyph.

Some examples:

Looked at in Emacs 23 these are all strung out horizontally. When I
copy-past from there into Thunderbird, some are displayed on top of each
other. It may be that Emacs ver. 23 w32 build doesn't really do these
uncomposed diacriticals yet, or maybe I just need to know about another
input method.

Thanks anyway,

Ed