all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* Compiling emacs23 on OS X
@ 2008-08-07  2:00 Nurullah Akkaya
From: Nurullah Akkaya @ 2008-08-07  2:00 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: help-gnu-emacs

In order to build emacs i usually use the command

./make-package --self-contained

last night i checked out emacs 23 from cvs with the command

cvs -z3 -d:pserver:anonymous@cvs.savannah.gnu.org:/cvsroot/emacs co emacs

but when i entered mac/ directory make-package script was not there then
i also tried ./configure --enable-carbon-app which also failed. during
make..

as i was searching i saw a post from carbon emacs mailing list that said
mac port is removed. Is this true or did i just hit a bug in the cvs
version?

--
Nurullah Akkaya

* Re: Compiling emacs23 on OS X
@ 2008-08-07  3:08 ` David Golden
                   ` (2 subsequent siblings)
From: David Golden @ 2008-08-07  3:08 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Nurullah Akkaya wrote:

> as i was searching i saw a post from carbon emacs mailing list that
> said mac port is removed. Is this true or did i just hit a bug in the
> cvs version?

Carbon port is dead.  The Cocoa and GNUStep port is merged. What was
"Emacs.app". New Cocoa build instructions are in  emacs/nextstep/INSTALL
in the emacs CVS sources.

* Re: Compiling emacs23 on OS X
@ 2008-08-07 15:25 ` Peter Dyballa
       [not found] ` <mailman.15996.1218122736.18990.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: Peter Dyballa @ 2008-08-07 15:25 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: Nurullah Akkaya; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

Am 07.08.2008 um 02:00 schrieb Nurullah Akkaya:

> as i was searching i saw a post from carbon emacs mailing list that
> said
> mac port is removed. Is this true or did i just hit a bug in the cvs
> version?

Recently no Carbon Emacs variant can be built from Emacs 23 code. For
Mac OS X you can, besides an X11 client, built a Cocoa or Aqua
variant: --with-ns (--disable-ns-self-contained).

--
Greetings

   Pete

For some reason, this fortune reminds everyone of Marvin Zelkowitz.

* Re: Compiling emacs23 on OS X
       [not found] ` <mailman.15996.1218122736.18990.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
@ 2008-08-08  1:00   ` Mark Hood
From: Mark Hood @ 2008-08-08  1:00 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: help-gnu-emacs

> Am 07.08.2008 um 02:00 schrieb Nurullah Akkaya:
> > as i was searching i saw a post from carbon emacs mailing list that
> > said mac port is removed. Is this true or did i just hit a bug in the cvs
> > version?
>
> Recently no Carbon Emacs variant can be built from Emacs 23 code. For
> Mac OS X you can, besides an X11 client, built a Cocoa or Aqua
> variant: --with-ns (--disable-ns-self-contained).

I use Carbon Emacs 22 on Mac OSX but I'm not familiar with Cocoa.  Can
you explain what this means for Emacs 23?

I tried using the Aqua variant but couldn't get the hang of it -- too
much of standard Emacs key bindings and interface have migrated into
the firmware of my brain.  Does the Cocoa variant use the standard
lean Emacs interface?  Or does this mean I'll be on 22 for the rest of
my Mac days (unless I run an X11 server)?

Thanks -- Mark

* Re: Compiling emacs23 on OS X
@ 2008-08-08  6:35     ` Peter Dyballa
                       ` (2 subsequent siblings)
From: Peter Dyballa @ 2008-08-08  6:35 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: Mark Hood; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

Am 08.08.2008 um 03:00 schrieb Mark Hood:

> I use Carbon Emacs 22 on Mac OSX but I'm not familiar with Cocoa.  Can
> you explain what this means for Emacs 23?

It uses different cloths for the GNU Emacs "kernel," which are native
to Mac OS X (Carbon is just an emulation of Classic Mac OS 8 and 9
with its incomplete support of Unicode, i.e., non-Latin scripts).
Most Mac OS X applications are Cocoa applications, offering personal
Emacs keybindings in Mail, TextEdit, Terminal for text manipulation ...

The internet can provide more information.

> I tried using the Aqua variant but couldn't get the hang of it -- too
> much of standard Emacs key bindings and interface have migrated into
> the firmware of my brain.

"Standard Emacs key bindings" start with C- – these haven't
changed. ⌘-, or ⌘-; lets a preferences pane appear. You can change
the behaviour of Cmd, Alt, Ctrl, FN "modifier keys." It also has the
usual Cocoa font and colour choosers. By saving these options (in
Options menu) a PLIST file (Emacs.plist) in  ~/Library/preferences
will be created (also accessible with defaults command line utility
or any PLIST editor application). These saved settings can
"overwrite" settings from your init file. There is also some
documentation on "Emacs.app" (The extensible self-documenting text
editor for GNUstep/OPENSTEP and Mac OS X Aqua) in the info system.
What's missing is the interface to the Mac OS X printing system or to
print Unicode buffers – but you can use the ELisp code from Carbon
Emacs.

> Does the Cocoa variant use the standard lean Emacs interface?

I don't understand what could mean with this.

> Or does this mean I'll be on 22 for the rest of my Mac days (unless
> I run an X11 server)?

It's very likely ... Some day Apple won't support Carbon, BTW. Mac OS
8 is elder than ten years and did not have much that connected it to
open standards as found in UNIX.

--
Greetings

   Pete

Indentation?! I will show you how to indent when I indent your skull!

* Re: Compiling emacs23 on OS X
@ 2008-08-08  8:37       ` Peter Dyballa
From: Peter Dyballa @ 2008-08-08  8:37 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: Mark Hood; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs list

Am 08.08.2008 um 08:35 schrieb Peter Dyballa:

> These saved settings can "overwrite" settings from your init file.

I'm sorry! The wrong word slipped into my response: "override" is the
right word. It can happen that settings from Emacs.plist take
precedence before those from your init file. And Emacs.plist contains
much to much entries, it seems to be a snapshot of all your
customisation instead of just a record of things you've set via Mac
OS X gear.

--
Greetings

   Pete

When people run around and around in circles we say they are crazy.
When planets do it we say they are orbiting.

* Re: Compiling emacs23 on OS X
@ 2008-08-08 10:54     ` Nikolaj Schumacher
From: Nikolaj Schumacher @ 2008-08-08 10:54 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: Mark Hood; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

Mark Hood <invalid@invalid.invalid> wrote:

> I tried using the Aqua variant but couldn't get the hang of it -- too
> much of standard Emacs key bindings and interface have migrated into
> the firmware of my brain.

You mean Aquamacs?

> Does the Cocoa variant use the standard lean Emacs interface?  Or does
> this mean I'll be on 22 for the rest of my Mac days (unless I run an
> X11 server)?

Every official Emacs port is intended to behave the same way on every
platform.  Aquamacs is not just a port, it's a variant, for lack of a
better term.

I don't think you need to worry.  (Although I can't build it at the
moment to verify.)

regards,
Nikolaj Schumacher

* Re: Compiling emacs23 on OS X
@ 2008-08-08 15:18     ` Ted Zlatanov
From: Ted Zlatanov @ 2008-08-08 15:18 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: help-gnu-emacs

On 07 Aug 2008 18:00:09 -0700 Mark Hood <invalid@invalid.invalid> wrote:

MH> Does the Cocoa variant use the standard lean Emacs interface?  Or
MH> does this mean I'll be on 22 for the rest of my Mac days (unless I
MH> run an X11 server)?

The Cocoa build has the same everything as the normal build, except for
a Preferences dialog and some other minor things.  I use it heavily and
have had no problems.

Ted

* Re: Compiling emacs23 on OS X
                   ` (2 preceding siblings ...)
       [not found] ` <mailman.15996.1218122736.18990.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
@ 2008-08-10  1:18 ` Chris Patterson
From: Chris Patterson @ 2008-08-10  1:18 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Nurullah Akkaya <nurullah.akkaya@blooby.com> writes:

> In order to build emacs i usually use the command
>
> ./make-package --self-contained
>
> last night i checked out emacs 23 from cvs with the command
>
> cvs -z3 -d:pserver:anonymous@cvs.savannah.gnu.org:/cvsroot/emacs co emacs
>
> but when i entered mac/ directory make-package script was not there then
> i also tried ./configure --enable-carbon-app which also failed. during
> make..
>
> as i was searching i saw a post from carbon emacs mailing list that said
> mac port is removed. Is this true or did i just hit a bug in the cvs
> version?

This is the same way I've been compiling emacs on my G4 Powerbook but
things seem to have changed. I just finished compiling the new emacs.app
from cvs on tiger and it's a bit different than building on 22.2.
See nextstep/INSTALL for the updated build process.

* Re: Compiling emacs23 on OS X
                       ` (2 preceding siblings ...)
@ 2008-08-10 15:22     ` Chris Patterson
From: Chris Patterson @ 2008-08-10 15:22 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Mark Hood <invalid@invalid.invalid> writes:

> Peter Dyballa <Peter_Dyballa@Web.DE> writes:
>> Am 07.08.2008 um 02:00 schrieb Nurullah Akkaya:
>> > as i was searching i saw a post from carbon emacs mailing list that
>> > said mac port is removed. Is this true or did i just hit a bug in the cvs
>> > version?
>>
>> Recently no Carbon Emacs variant can be built from Emacs 23 code. For
>> Mac OS X you can, besides an X11 client, built a Cocoa or Aqua
>> variant: --with-ns (--disable-ns-self-contained).
>
> I use Carbon Emacs 22 on Mac OSX but I'm not familiar with Cocoa.  Can
> you explain what this means for Emacs 23?
>
> I tried using the Aqua variant but couldn't get the hang of it -- too
> much of standard Emacs key bindings and interface have migrated into
> the firmware of my brain.  Does the Cocoa variant use the standard
> lean Emacs interface?  Or does this mean I'll be on 22 for the rest of
> my Mac days (unless I run an X11 server)?
>
> Thanks -- Mark

I had the same concerns, but once I relocated the meta key back to the command
key (where carbon emacs has it) via the preferences pane I have found that
emacs.app is quite usable.

You won't find that there is much of a learning curve, either, as opposed to
aquamacs. Emacs.app is far closer to Carbon Emacs than Aquamacs (at least from
the user's perspective).