From: Steinar Bang <sb@dod.no>
To: help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org
Subject: JavaScript/TypeScript: What do people in 2024, on emacs 29, use for .js, .jsx, .ts and .tsx?
Date: Tue, 09 Jan 2024 13:12:15 +0100	[thread overview]

I'm in the process of setting up a new windows laptop, and have
installed Emacs 29.

I have been using rjsx-mode for react.js JSX files since 2018, so I
routinely started installing that from melpa.

But then I noticed that it was kinda old: The version on melpa is from
February 24 2020.

And looking at rjsx-mode's github page the last commit was October 28 2020:
 https://github.com/felipeochoa/rjsx-mode

So I decided to see what came up as default on emacs 29.

What I get according to 'C-h m', is:
 The major mode is JavaScript[JSX] mode defined in js.el:

JSX tag syntax seems to be highlighted correctly and indentations seems
to be correct (I'm using https://github.com/editorconfig/editorconfig-emacs ).

But there doesn't seem to be the same electric tag splitting behaviour I
have on JSX mode...? Though that may be a configuration possibility...?

What do others use?

And what about typescript?

I don't like typescript so I don't use that in any of my private
projects, but when working with frontends I have to adapt.

Last time I worked with typescript (2021-2022) I think I ended up with
something called tide and web-mode for the .ts and .tsx files, while
staying with rjsx-mode for .js and .jsx files.

I don't know if that's still the way to go for typescript or if the
built-in javascript mode now handles typescript?

What do others use?

Thanks!

- Steinar