* 'smart' indentation
@ 2003-03-09 23:06 Michael Powe
From: Michael Powe @ 2003-03-09 23:06 UTC (permalink / raw)

hello,

i would like to have 'smart' indentation, à la some editors i use like
textpad.  if i indent a line, then when i press enter at the end of
the line, i want point to go to the indented position on the following
line.  i can't find the way to make this work.  it looks like
'adaptive-fill-mode' should do this, but it does not.  having to go
back and 'indent-region' is annoying.

thanks.

mp

--
  Michael Powe                                 Waterbury, CT USA
"It stands to reason that self-righteous, inflexible, single-minded,

* Re: 'smart' indentation
@ 2003-03-10  0:26 ` Johan Bockgård
From: Johan Bockgård @ 2003-03-10  0:26 UTC (permalink / raw)

Michael Powe <michael@trollope.org> writes:

> hello,
>
> i would like to have 'smart' indentation, à la some editors i use like
> textpad.  if i indent a line, then when i press enter at the end of
> the line, i want point to go to the indented position on the following
> line.  i can't find the way to make this work.  it looks like
> 'adaptive-fill-mode' should do this, but it does not.  having to go
> back and 'indent-region' is annoying.

There is a function `newline-and-indent'. You want to bind this to
RET, I think (and you would probably find it is on C-j already).

/Johan

* Re: 'smart' indentation
@ 2003-03-10  0:26 ` Benjamin Rutt
From: Benjamin Rutt @ 2003-03-10  0:26 UTC (permalink / raw)

Michael Powe <michael@trollope.org> writes:

> hello,
>
> i would like to have 'smart' indentation, à la some editors i use like
> textpad.  if i indent a line, then when i press enter at the end of
> the line, i want point to go to the indented position on the following
> line.  i can't find the way to make this work.  it looks like
> 'adaptive-fill-mode' should do this, but it does not.  having to go
> back and 'indent-region' is annoying.

I think you want

(global-set-key (kbd "RET") 'newline-and-indent)
--
Benjamin

* Re: 'smart' indentation
@ 2003-03-10 14:01 ` Kai Großjohann
From: Kai Großjohann @ 2003-03-10 14:01 UTC (permalink / raw)

Michael Powe <michael@trollope.org> writes:

> i would like to have 'smart' indentation, à la some editors i use like
> textpad.

Compared with Emacs standards, that indentation is rather dumb...

> if i indent a line, then when i press enter at the end of the line,
> i want point to go to the indented position on the following line.

On the new line, invoke M-x indent-relative RET.  I like to use that
in text mode a lot, so I do (define-key text-mode-map (kbd "RET")
'indent-relative) in my ~/.emacs file.

Usually, Emacs does syntax-driven indentation.  This means that it
groks the syntax of your programming language and then uses the right
indentation level.

* Re: 'smart' indentation
@ 2003-03-10 17:03   ` Oliver Scholz
From: Oliver Scholz @ 2003-03-10 17:03 UTC (permalink / raw)

kai.grossjohann@uni-duisburg.de (Kai Großjohann) writes:
[...]
> Usually, Emacs does syntax-driven indentation.  This means that it
> groks the syntax of your programming language and then uses the right
> indentation level.
[...]

Does that imply that other editors don't have syntax driven
indentation???

    Oliver
--
20 Ventôse an 211 de la Révolution
Liberté, Egalité, Fraternité!

* Re: 'smart' indentation
@ 2003-03-10 18:22     ` Kai Großjohann
From: Kai Großjohann @ 2003-03-10 18:22 UTC (permalink / raw)

Oliver Scholz <alkibiades@gmx.de> writes:

> kai.grossjohann@uni-duisburg.de (Kai Großjohann) writes:
> [...]
>> Usually, Emacs does syntax-driven indentation.  This means that it
>> groks the syntax of your programming language and then uses the right
>> indentation level.
> [...]
>
> Does that imply that other editors don't have syntax driven
> indentation???

No.

All I was saying is that the OP's idea of 'smart indentation'
corresponds to Emacs' idea of 'dumb indentation'.

* Re: 'smart' indentation
@ 2003-03-10 20:02     ` Ole Laursen
From: Ole Laursen @ 2003-03-10 20:02 UTC (permalink / raw)

Oliver Scholz <alkibiades@gmx.de> writes:

> kai.grossjohann@uni-duisburg.de (Kai Großjohann) writes:
> [...]
> > Usually, Emacs does syntax-driven indentation.  This means that it
> > groks the syntax of your programming language and then uses the right
> > indentation level.
> [...]
>
> Does that imply that other editors don't have syntax driven
> indentation???

I think most haven't, at least not for more than one or two languages.
It's not trivial to implement. I think most fake it like
indent-relative.

--
Ole Laursen
http://www.cs.auc.dk/~olau/

* Re: 'smart' indentation
@ 2003-03-10 20:24       ` Oliver Scholz
From: Oliver Scholz @ 2003-03-10 20:24 UTC (permalink / raw)

Ole Laursen <olau@hardworking.dk> writes:

> Oliver Scholz <alkibiades@gmx.de> writes:
[...]
>> Does that imply that other editors don't have syntax driven
>> indentation???
>
> I think most haven't, at least not for more than one or two languages.
> It's not trivial to implement. I think most fake it like
> indent-relative.
[...]

*shudder* It's a cold and cruel world out there, outside of Emacs.

    Oliver
--

@ 2003-03-10 20:33   ` Stefan Monnier
From: Stefan Monnier @ 2003-03-10 20:33 UTC (permalink / raw)

> in text mode a lot, so I do (define-key text-mode-map (kbd "RET")
> 'indent-relative) in my ~/.emacs file.

Really ?  What do you then use to break a line ?

* Re: 'smart' indentation
@ 2003-03-11 11:50     ` Kai Großjohann
From: Kai Großjohann @ 2003-03-11 11:50 UTC (permalink / raw)

"Stefan Monnier" <monnier+gnu.emacs.help/news/@flint.cs.yale.edu> writes:

>> in text mode a lot, so I do (define-key text-mode-map (kbd "RET")
>> 'indent-relative) in my ~/.emacs file.
>
> Really ?  What do you then use to break a line ?

I meant TAB, not RET.  Sorry.

* Re: 'smart' indentation
@ 2003-03-11 15:11       ` Stefan Monnier
From: Stefan Monnier @ 2003-03-11 15:11 UTC (permalink / raw)

>>> in text mode a lot, so I do (define-key text-mode-map (kbd "RET")
>>> 'indent-relative) in my ~/.emacs file.
>> Really ?  What do you then use to break a line ?
> I meant TAB, not RET.  Sorry.

Huh?  But then why bother ?  It's already the default behavior !