* Basic Emacs Config File
@ 2010-12-08 19:53 cristianluca
From: cristianluca @ 2010-12-08 19:53 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Help-gnu-emacs

Please can anyone point me to a basic emacs config file, I want to start
learning to configurate my emacs but I get all sorts of errors when I try to
edit .emacs. My file will have a couple of key bindings and color theme.

* Re: Basic Emacs Config File
       [not found] <mailman.5.1291928275.2843.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
@ 2010-12-09 22:01 ` Maarten Bergvelt
                   ` (2 subsequent siblings)
From: Maarten Bergvelt @ 2010-12-09 22:01 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

On 2010-12-08, cristianluca <cristianluca_ro@yahoo.com> wrote:

> Please can anyone point me to a basic emacs config file, I want to start
> learning to configurate my emacs but I get all sorts of errors when I try to
> edit .emacs. My file will have a couple of key bindings and color theme.

google emacswiki
--
Maarten Bergvelt

@ 2010-12-09 22:22 ` B. T. Raven
From: B. T. Raven @ 2010-12-09 22:22 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

cristianluca wrote:
> Please can anyone point me to a basic emacs config file, I want to start
> learning to configurate my emacs but I get all sorts of errors when I try to
> edit .emacs. My file will have a couple of key bindings and color theme.

Here are some example settings:

http://homepages.inf.ed.ac.uk/s0243221/emacs/

help with key-binding is here:

http://www.emacswiki.org/emacs/KeyBindingDiscussion

but the easiest way to learn about what .emacs does and how it works is,
via the menu, to goto Options > Customize Emacs > Browse Customization
Groups and then, one by one, save different options for future sessions
and look at the changes that have been made to the .emacs file after
saving each option. The .emacs file on disk will be changed and if a
copy of this is in a current buffer, that copy will be updated with the
change also.

Ed

* Re: Basic Emacs Config File
@ 2010-12-10  6:10 ` Dirk-Jan C. Binnema
                   ` (2 subsequent siblings)
From: Dirk-Jan C. Binnema @ 2010-12-10  6:10 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cristianluca; +Cc: Help-gnu-emacs

  > Please can anyone point me to a basic emacs config file, I want to start
  > learning to configurate my emacs but I get all sorts of errors when I try to
  > edit .emacs. My file will have a couple of key bindings and color theme.

  I'd just start with an empty .emacs, and add things only when you understand
  them; copy-pasting large blobs from other people's .emacs files quickly
  makes things very hard to understand.

  Some old emacs-fu articles may be helpful:

http://emacs-fu.blogspot.com/2008/12/emacs.html
http://emacs-fu.blogspot.com/2008/12/binding-keys.html
http://emacs-fu.blogspot.com/2009/03/color-theming.html

   Best wishes,
   Dirk.

--
Dirk-Jan C. Binnema                  Helsinki, Finland
e:djcb@djcbsoftware.nl           w:www.djcbsoftware.nl

* Re: Basic Emacs Config File
@ 2010-12-10  8:51 ` Eli Zaretskii
From: Eli Zaretskii @ 2010-12-10  8:51 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Help-gnu-emacs

> Date: Wed, 8 Dec 2010 11:43:26 -0800 (PST)
> From: cristianluca <cristianluca_ro@yahoo.com>
>
> Can anyone point me to a basic emacs config file, I want to start learning to
> configurate my emacs but I get all sorts of errors when I try to edit
> .emacs. My file will have a couple of key bindings and color theme.

I would suggest to ask here specific questions about your settings
that cause errors.

There's no special template for .emacs, it's generally just a
collection of more or less random settings that are personal to their
author.  Posting here the settings that cause errors will teach how to
do that correctly.  Studying customizations done by others are likely
to be a less efficient way of doing the same.

@ 2010-12-10  9:45 ` Elena
From: Elena @ 2010-12-10  9:45 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

On Dec 8, 7:53 pm, cristianluca <cristianluca...@yahoo.com> wrote:
> Please can anyone point me to a basic emacs config file, I want to start
> learning to configurate my emacs but I get all sorts of errors when I try to
> edit .emacs. My file will have a couple of key bindings and color theme.
> --

Two tricks I use to keep my .emacs in check, since I'm refactoring it
all the time, are:
- always start emacs.exe (runemacs.exe on Windows) with "--debug-init"
option;
- instead of writing comments about the different sections of .emacs,
use the "message" function; this way if something breaks, "C-h e" will
take you to *Messages* buffer, where you can have a clue about
where .emacs broke.

Moreover, before saving .emacs, use "C-x C-e" to check every setting
you are writing into it to ensure such setting works.

* Re: Basic Emacs Config File
@ 2010-12-10 10:45 ` cristianluca
From: cristianluca @ 2010-12-10 10:45 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Help-gnu-emacs

Thank you guys I solved the problem.

* Re: Basic Emacs Config File
       [not found] <mailman.5.1291928275.2843.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
                   ` (2 preceding siblings ...)
@ 2010-12-10 15:55 ` rusi
From: rusi @ 2010-12-10 15:55 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

On Dec 9, 12:53 am, cristianluca <cristianluca...@yahoo.com> wrote:
> Please can anyone point me to a basic emacs config file, I want to start
> learning to configurate my emacs but I get all sorts of errors when I try to
> edit .emacs. My file will have a couple of key bindings and color theme.

You need to say what you intend to use emacs for (at least initially)
If programming which language(s)?
Which OS are you on?
What do you want emacs to do for you?

* Re: Basic Emacs Config File
                   ` (2 preceding siblings ...)
@ 2010-12-11  2:29 ` Maurizio Vitale
From: Maurizio Vitale @ 2010-12-11  2:29 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

    cristianluca> Please can anyone point me to a basic emacs config
    cristianluca> file, I want to start learning to configurate my emacs
    cristianluca> but I get all sorts of errors when I try to edit
    cristianluca> .emacs. My file will have a couple of key bindings and
    cristianluca> color theme.

http://eschulte.github.com/emacs-starter-kit/