kai.grossjohann@uni-duisburg.de (Kai Großjohann) writes: > Torsten Bronger writes: > > > But when I change this to "latin-9" all characters > > (even thost that are common in latin-1 and -9) > > turn into "?". What am I doing wrong? > > Well, with your settings you are editing Latin-1 text but tell Emacs > that your terminal displays Latin-9. Emacs doesn't know that it some > Latin-1 characters look the same as some Latin-9 characters, so it > doesn't think it can display the Latin-1 chars in the > Latin-9-displaying terminal. > > If your language environment would agree with the terminal, then it > would work better. I have set C-x RET t iso-latin-1 and C-x RET t iso-8859-1 (I've tried -9, too), and Gnus (5.7/Emacs 20.7) still doesn't understand characters --- while Pine's newsreader (whose coding system is set to iso-8859-1 also) correctly displays accents, umlauts, etc. correctly, Gnus display's Kai's last name as "Gro\337johann" or "=?iso-8859-1?q?G". All this in the same terminal emulator, PuTTY. What settings/shell-variables do I need to fix this? -- Jonathon Isaac Swiderski \\ dangercat-20@dangercat.net cs.oberlin.edu/~jswiders \\ www.dangercat.net/resume "You know what really bothers me? We're only able to keep you guys out of society for four years." - OC CompSci prof "Hey! There's still grad school!" - Student