* still no colors in rxvt
       [not found] <E19MtE6-00058s-IL@monty-python.gnu.org>
@ 2003-06-02 19:57 ` Joe Corneli
From: Joe Corneli @ 2003-06-02 19:57 UTC (permalink / raw)

ok, I tried RB's .emacs, no go there.  I guess this may involve
more work.

PS., RB, have you tried changing  '(cursor ((t (:background "white"))))
to  '(cursor ((t (:background "black"))))

* Re: still no colors in rxvt
       [not found] <mailman.7169.1054584299.21513.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
@ 2003-06-02 23:21 ` RB
From: RB @ 2003-06-02 23:21 UTC (permalink / raw)

Joe Corneli <jcorneli@mail.ma.utexas.edu> writes:

> ok, I tried RB's .emacs, no go there.  I guess this may involve
> more work.
>
> PS., RB, have you tried changing  '(cursor ((t (:background "white"))))
> to  '(cursor ((t (:background "black"))))

My understanding is that those customizations are for emacs running in
an X windows environment, so the customizations will not apply to emacs
in rxvt at all, because rxvt is simulating a terminal environment, but
thanks for the suggestion.

RB

@ 2003-06-03  7:45 ` Sriram Karra
From: Sriram Karra @ 2003-06-03  7:45 UTC (permalink / raw)

Joe Corneli <jcorneli@mail.ma.utexas.edu> writes:

> ok, I tried RB's .emacs, no go there.  I guess this may involve
> more work.
>
> PS., RB, have you tried changing '(cursor ((t (:background
> "white")))) to '(cursor ((t (:background "black"))))

I have not followed your earlier posts carefully; so I am not sure if
I understand your problem completely.

Can you try and see if the post at the following link solves your
problem?

http://groups.google.com/groups?q=colors+group:gnu.emacs.*+author:karra&hl=en&lr=&ie=UTF-8&selm=87r8epwi1s.fsf%40shakti.homelinux.net&rnum=1

--
Well, all's well that ends.

* Re: still no colors in rxvt
       [not found] <E19N9Y7-0005Rv-PH@monty-python.gnu.org>
@ 2003-06-03 18:16 ` Joe Corneli
From: Joe Corneli @ 2003-06-03 18:16 UTC (permalink / raw)

No, the terminfo stuff didn't change anything...

And if customization of faces is only going to work when running
in an independent X window, how am I supposed to set colors for
my terminal?

And finally, evaluating (defined-colors) returns "nil" even though rxvt.el
is loaded -- this seems like a potential problem.

Joe

* Re: still no colors in rxvt
@ 2003-06-04  3:25   ` Eli Zaretskii
       [not found]   ` <mailman.7269.1054729975.21513.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: Eli Zaretskii @ 2003-06-04  3:25 UTC (permalink / raw)

> Date: Tue, 3 Jun 2003 13:16:09 -0500 (CDT)
> From: Joe Corneli <jcorneli@mail.ma.utexas.edu>
>
> And finally, evaluating (defined-colors) returns "nil" even though rxvt.el
> is loaded -- this seems like a potential problem.

Sounds like your terminfo entry for whatever terminal RXVT is
emulating does not fit what Emacs expects from a color-capable tty.

Does it help to read the entry in etc/PROBLEMS whose name is "Colors
are not available on a tty or in xterm"?  Does it give some ideas to
test, and if so, what are the results of those tests?

* Re: still no colors in rxvt
@ 2003-06-04 12:12   ` Ehud Karni
       [not found]   ` <mailman.7269.1054729975.21513.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: Ehud Karni @ 2003-06-04 12:12 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: help-gnu-emacs

* Re: still no colors in rxvt
       [not found]   ` <mailman.7269.1054729975.21513.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
@ 2003-06-04 19:34     ` Thomas Dickey
From: Thomas Dickey @ 2003-06-04 19:34 UTC (permalink / raw)

Ehud Karni <ehud@unix.mvs.co.il> wrote:

> On Tue, 3 Jun 2003 13:16:09 -0500 (CDT), Joe Corneli <jcorneli@mail.ma.utexas.edu> wrote:
>>
>> No, the terminfo stuff didn't change anything...

> I think Eli is right and your rxvt terminfo description is missing
> some of the needed entries.

that's unlikely (it's been quite a while since "rxvt" was the non-color
variation - a few years).

> Since rxvt emulate xterm please set your TERM environment to xterm and
> run Emacs (I did it: run rxvt on Cygwin, login into GNU/Linux and run
> Emacs on it, Emacs has colors and recognize the function keys)

yes (the wrong keys, though)

--
Thomas E. Dickey <dickey@radix.net> <dickey@herndon4.his.com>
http://dickey.his.com