* HTML Helper
@ 2003-11-13  4:37 Tim McNamara
       [not found] ` <mailman.21.1068706522.399.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: Tim McNamara @ 2003-11-13  4:37 UTC (permalink / raw)

I seem to be having trouble getting html-helper-mode to work.  When I
open an .html file, Emacs complains that it can't load
html-helper-mode.  Here's my .emacs configuration for this:

(setq load-path (cons
"/usr/local/share/emacs/21.1/site-lisp/html-helper-mode/html-helper-mode.el"
load-path))
(autoload 'html-helper-mode "html-helper-mode" "Yay HTML" t)
(setq auto-mode-alist (cons '("\.html$" . html-helper-mode)
auto-mode-alist))

html-helper-mode.el is at the specified location- I've checked
carefully.  Emacs can find the directory on launch (at least it no
longer complains that it isn't there).  Could there be a permissions
issue with launching this file BSD-ish Unix a.k.a. Darwin?  Do I need
to chmod permissions (currently -rw-r--r-- for the .el file, and
drwxr-xr-x for the html-helper-mode directory)?

Thanks!  Obviously still learning both Emacs and Unix...

* Re: HTML Helper
@ 2003-11-13  5:54 ` Eli Zaretskii
       [not found] ` <mailman.21.1068706522.399.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: Eli Zaretskii @ 2003-11-13  5:54 UTC (permalink / raw)

> Newsgroups: gnu.emacs.help
> From: Tim McNamara <timmcn@bitstream.net>
> Date: 12 Nov 2003 22:37:00 -0600
>
> (setq load-path (cons
> "/usr/local/share/emacs/21.1/site-lisp/html-helper-mode/html-helper-mode.el"
> load-path))

load-path should include a list of _directories_, not file names.  So
you should add to it the directory where html-helper-mode.el (and
hopefully also html-helper-mode.elc) lives, not the file name itself.

* Re: HTML Helper
       [not found] ` <mailman.21.1068706522.399.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
@ 2003-11-13 18:37   ` Tim McNamara
From: Tim McNamara @ 2003-11-13 18:37 UTC (permalink / raw)

Eli Zaretskii <eliz@elta.co.il> writes:

> load-path should include a list of _directories_, not file names.
> So you should add to it the directory where html-helper-mode.el (and
> hopefully also html-helper-mode.elc) lives, not the file name
> itself.

Ah!  The instructions I had (in "Learning GNU Emacs" by Cameron,
Rosenblatt & Raymond) seemed to indicate otherwise.  I'll give this a
try.  Thanks!

* Re: HTML Helper
@ 2003-11-13 20:26     ` Kevin Rodgers
From: Kevin Rodgers @ 2003-11-13 20:26 UTC (permalink / raw)

Tim McNamara wrote:

> Eli Zaretskii <eliz@elta.co.il> writes:
>>load-path should include a list of _directories_, not file names.
>>So you should add to it the directory where html-helper-mode.el (and
>>hopefully also html-helper-mode.elc) lives, not the file name
>>itself.
>
> Ah!  The instructions I had (in "Learning GNU Emacs" by Cameron,
> Rosenblatt & Raymond) seemed to indicate otherwise.  I'll give this a
> try.  Thanks!

Why would you consult that outdated, non-free publication before typing

`C-h v load-path'?

--
Kevin Rodgers

* Re: HTML Helper
@ 2003-11-14  0:02       ` Tim McNamara
From: Tim McNamara @ 2003-11-14  0:02 UTC (permalink / raw)

Kevin Rodgers <ihs_4664@yahoo.com> writes:

> Tim McNamara wrote:
>
> > Eli Zaretskii <eliz@elta.co.il> writes:
>
> >>load-path should include a list of _directories_, not file names.
> >>So you should add to it the directory where html-helper-mode.el
> >>(and hopefully also html-helper-mode.elc) lives, not the file name
> >>itself.
>
> > Ah!  The instructions I had (in "Learning GNU Emacs" by Cameron,
> > Rosenblatt & Raymond) seemed to indicate otherwise.  I'll give
> > this a try.  Thanks!
>
> Why would you consult that outdated, non-free publication before
> typing
>
> `C-h v load-path'?

Obviously lacking sophistication with using Emacs and especially the
built-in documentation.  For whatever reason, I find it easier to read
that sort of stuff from paper than from the screen.  But then in
general I much prefer reading books to reading computer screens- but
there are some things that can't be done via books!

And thanks for the advice, html-helper-mode is working.

* Re: HTML Helper
@ 2003-12-16 19:20         ` Kai Grossjohann
From: Kai Grossjohann @ 2003-12-16 19:20 UTC (permalink / raw)

Tim McNamara <timmcn@bitstream.net> writes:

> Obviously lacking sophistication with using Emacs and especially the
> built-in documentation.

Maybe you would like to order the Emacs manual from the FSF?  That
way, you can read the real thing on paper, and help the FSF, too.

And when you vaguely remember that you have read something on paper,
you can use C-h i to look it up again because the book and the
built-in documentation have the same content!

Kai

* Re: HTML Helper
@ 2003-12-16 19:44           ` Thomas F. Burdick
From: Thomas F. Burdick @ 2003-12-16 19:44 UTC (permalink / raw)

Kai Grossjohann <kai@emptydomain.de> writes:

> Tim McNamara <timmcn@bitstream.net> writes:
>
> > Obviously lacking sophistication with using Emacs and especially the
> > built-in documentation.
>
> Maybe you would like to order the Emacs manual from the FSF?  That
> way, you can read the real thing on paper, and help the FSF, too.
>
> And when you vaguely remember that you have read something on paper,
> you can use C-h i to look it up again because the book and the
> built-in documentation have the same content!

As a happy owner of the Emacs manual, I recommend this.  Having a real
book to leaf through made it simple to transition from lightweight
Emacs user to competant user.  I don't know when the last time I
picked it up was, but I'm glad I bought it.

--
           /|_     .-----------------------.
         ,'  .\  / | No to Imperialist war |

* Re: HTML Helper
@ 2003-12-17  1:00           ` Tim McNamara
From: Tim McNamara @ 2003-12-17  1:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

Kai Grossjohann <kai@emptydomain.de> writes:

> Tim McNamara <timmcn@bitstream.net> writes:
>
>> Obviously lacking sophistication with using Emacs and especially
>> the built-in documentation.
>
> Maybe you would like to order the Emacs manual from the FSF?  That
> way, you can read the real thing on paper, and help the FSF, too.
>
> And when you vaguely remember that you have read something on paper,
> you can use C-h i to look it up again because the book and the
> built-in documentation have the same content!

Not a bad idea at all, especially since I am far more competent with a
book than with a computer.  :-D  I suppose that's due to having been
reading books for almost 40 years and using computers for only 17!  I
find it much easier to find information in books...