* font-locking mysteries
@ 2004-06-26 13:42 Christian Gudrian
From: Christian Gudrian @ 2004-06-26 13:42 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hello, there!

I am using Emacs 21.3.50 on WinXP-Cygwin with AUCTeX version CVS-5.383.
  I have configured my LaTeX environment so that Emacs automagically
inserts the characters `«' and `»' when pressing `"' on the keyboard.
Usually, AUCTeX highlights text enclosed in `«' and `»'.

However this only works correctly, when entering `«' and `»' directly
via Alt-Gr-Y and Alt-Gr-X.  When these quotes are inserted automagically
they do not triger font-locking, instead I need to revert the buffer for
font-locking to become active for the quoted text.

Which part needs tweaking?  Which handles have to be turned?

Christian

* Re: font-locking mysteries
@ 2004-06-27  9:20 ` David Kastrup
From: David Kastrup @ 2004-06-27  9:20 UTC (permalink / raw)

Christian Gudrian <Christian.Gudrian@gmx.de> writes:

> I am using Emacs 21.3.50 on WinXP-Cygwin with AUCTeX version
> CVS-5.383. I have configured my LaTeX environment so that Emacs
> automagically inserts the characters `«' and `»' when pressing `"' on
> the keyboard. Usually, AUCTeX highlights text enclosed in `«' and `»'.
>
> However this only works correctly, when entering `«' and `»' directly
> via Alt-Gr-Y and Alt-Gr-X.  When these quotes are inserted
> automagically they do not triger font-locking, instead I need to
> revert the buffer for font-locking to become active for the quoted
> text.
>
> Which part needs tweaking?  Which handles have to be turned?

M-x TeX-submit-bug-report RET

* Re: font-locking mysteries
@ 2004-06-27 17:14   ` Christian Gudrian
From: Christian Gudrian @ 2004-06-27 17:14 UTC (permalink / raw)

David Kastrup wrote:

> M-x TeX-submit-bug-report RET

So it's an AUC-TeX issue.  Thanks!

Christian

* Re: font-locking mysteries
@ 2004-06-27 17:21   ` Christian Gudrian
From: Christian Gudrian @ 2004-06-27 17:21 UTC (permalink / raw)

David Kastrup wrote:

> M-x TeX-submit-bug-report RET

Unfortunately Emacs does not allow the creation of mail buffers under
Cygwin, since the buffer file name contains characters which might not
be used on Windows file systems, I suppose.

Is there a different way of submitting a bug report?

Christian

* Re: font-locking mysteries
@ 2004-06-28  6:57     ` David Kastrup
From: David Kastrup @ 2004-06-28  6:57 UTC (permalink / raw)

Christian Gudrian <Christian.Gudrian@gmx.de> writes:

> David Kastrup wrote:
>
> > M-x TeX-submit-bug-report RET
>
> Unfortunately Emacs does not allow the creation of mail buffers under
> Cygwin, since the buffer file name contains characters which might not
> be used on Windows file systems, I suppose.

Ugh, what?!?

You should report that, whatever it is, as a bug.

> Is there a different way of submitting a bug report?

If you have a gnus session active and mail-user-agent set to
gnus-user-agent, then the buffer file name might be different when
calling mail.

* Re: font-locking mysteries
@ 2004-06-28 11:39       ` Christian Gudrian
From: Christian Gudrian @ 2004-06-28 11:39 UTC (permalink / raw)

David Kastrup wrote:

> Ugh, what?!?

Well, if I say M-x mail I get an error message saying

`Opening output file: no such file or directory,
/home/Gudrian/#*mail*#1660Va0#'

Asterisks are no good in file names that are meant to be stored on file
systems by Microsoft...  Which makes me wonder whether that would work
on *nix systems.  Anyway I never got an error message like that on
FreeBSD, and given the fact that CVS Emacs doesn't compile on Cygwin at
the moment it might just be the combination of Cygwin and Emacs which
causes this behaviour.  Never bothered me though, since I do not use
Emacs for mailing.

> You should report that, whatever it is, as a bug.

Let me guess:

M-x report-emacs-bug

which in turn will try to open a mail buffer, right? :)

> If you have a gnus session active and mail-user-agent set to
> gnus-user-agent, then the buffer file name might be different when
> calling mail.

No, I'm sorry.  Don't bother.  I might dive into that some time later.
But it's not worth it at the moment.  After all it's just a minor
font-locking problem I was originally dealing with.

Is there a function which formats the mail buffer name?  Perhaps I can
alter it in a way that will make reporting bugs work.

Christian

* Re: font-locking mysteries
@ 2004-06-28 11:50         ` Maurizio Loreti
From: Maurizio Loreti @ 2004-06-28 11:50 UTC (permalink / raw)

Christian Gudrian <Christian.Gudrian@gmx.de> writes:

> Asterisks are no good in file names that are meant to be stored on
> file systems by Microsoft...  Which makes me wonder whether that would
> work on *nix systems.

Why not?

MLO@mlinux 1 $ cd tmp/
MLO@mlinux 2 $ cat > hell\*.txt
Hello,world
MLO@mlinux 3 $ ls -l
total 20
-rw-r--r--  1 loreti g1cdf 1517 Jun 28 12:15 ham
-rw-r--r--  1 loreti g1cdf   12 Jun 28  2004 hell*.txt
-rw-r--r--  1 loreti g1cdf 3265 Jun 28 10:38 new.txt
-rw-r--r--  1 loreti g1cdf 4375 Jun 28 10:39 oldies6.m3u
MLO@mlinux 4 $

--
Maurizio Loreti                         http://www.pd.infn.it/~loreti/mlo.html
Dept. of Physics, Univ. of Padova, Italy              ROT13: ybergv@cq.vasa.vg

* Re: font-locking mysteries
@ 2004-06-28 11:52         ` David Kastrup
From: David Kastrup @ 2004-06-28 11:52 UTC (permalink / raw)

Christian Gudrian <Christian.Gudrian@gmx.de> writes:

> David Kastrup wrote:
>
> > Ugh, what?!?
>
> Well, if I say M-x mail I get an error message saying
>
> `Opening output file: no such file or directory,
> /home/Gudrian/#*mail*#1660Va0#'

That is just the autosave file.  It won't get created before the
buffer.  The buffer should appear just fine.

If not, do
M-: set-variable RET auto-save-default RET nil RET
before doing your bug report.

> Asterisks are no good in file names that are meant to be stored on
> file systems by Microsoft...  Which makes me wonder whether that would
> work on *nix systems.

Certainly.

> > You should report that, whatever it is, as a bug.
>
> Let me guess:
>
> M-x report-emacs-bug
>
> which in turn will try to open a mail buffer, right? :)

If you refuse to apply any proposed measure, you can't use the
predefined bug reporting methods to report a problem with the
predefined bug reporting methods.

I should have thought that obvious.

> > If you have a gnus session active and mail-user-agent set to
> > gnus-user-agent, then the buffer file name might be different when
> > calling mail.
>
> No, I'm sorry.  Don't bother.  I might dive into that some time
> later. But it's not worth it at the moment.  After all it's just a
> minor font-locking problem I was originally dealing with.

And it is a major bug reporting problem you are dealing with now.

* Re: font-locking mysteries
@ 2004-06-28 12:11           ` Christian Gudrian
From: Christian Gudrian @ 2004-06-28 12:11 UTC (permalink / raw)

David Kastrup wrote:

> M-: set-variable RET auto-save-default RET nil RET
> before doing your bug report.

That does it.

> And it is a major bug reporting problem you are dealing with now.

If all major problems could be worked around that easily.

Thanks for your help,

Christian

* Re: font-locking mysteries
@ 2004-06-28 12:18             ` David Kastrup
From: David Kastrup @ 2004-06-28 12:18 UTC (permalink / raw)

Christian Gudrian <Christian.Gudrian@gmx.de> writes:

> David Kastrup wrote:
>
> > M-: set-variable RET auto-save-default RET nil RET
> > before doing your bug report.
>
> That does it.
>
> > And it is a major bug reporting problem you are dealing with now.
>
> If all major problems could be worked around that easily.

By disabling autosave?  No thanks, I value my edited files.  You
should really just do this for the sake of being able to report the
bugs.  And certainly to report the bug reporting bug!

* Re: font-locking mysteries
@ 2004-06-28 12:18           ` Christian Gudrian
From: Christian Gudrian @ 2004-06-28 12:18 UTC (permalink / raw)

Maurizio Loreti wrote:

[* in *ix file names]

> Why not?

I was just wondering since I hardly ever use them.  Obviously there are
reasons for some (so called) OSs not to allow *s in file names.

Christian

* Re: font-locking mysteries
@ 2004-06-28 12:42               ` Christian Gudrian
From: Christian Gudrian @ 2004-06-28 12:42 UTC (permalink / raw)

David Kastrup wrote:

>>If all major problems could be worked around that easily.
>

> By disabling autosave?  No thanks, I value my edited files.

At first I wrote 'could be solved'.  But then I made up my mind and
chose 'could be worked around' to point out, that it's nothing more than
just that: a work around.

BTW, auto saving itself works perfectly for ordinary buffers.

> You
> should really just do this for the sake of being able to report the
> bugs.

Been there.  Done that.

Christian