* Newbie: no color in emacs 20.7
@ 2004-07-30 22:43 Beetlenut
From: Beetlenut @ 2004-07-30 22:43 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hello,

sorry about this question. But i'm totally lost. I can't get colors in
my emacs on Debian Linux 3.0.
Im .emacs i activated font-global-lock as found in the docs.
I have to similar systems with the same Debian distri. One system i have
colors, on the other not. Search the FAQ and (part) of the docs but i
think i need a livetime to read it all.
Good description how to activate color highlighting (which is btw
activated as i can see in the settings) but my display is probaly run
out of it (only in emacs).

Can anybody help?

* Re: Newbie: no color in emacs 20.7
@ 2004-07-30 23:05 ` Claus Gerull
From: Claus Gerull @ 2004-07-30 23:05 UTC (permalink / raw)

Fotgotten to tell that on the same machine XEmacs just runs fine
and have as many colors as i wish.
It's the console and terminal sessions that are the problems.

* Re: Newbie: no color in emacs 20.7
@ 2004-07-30 23:10   ` David Kastrup
From: David Kastrup @ 2004-07-30 23:10 UTC (permalink / raw)

Claus Gerull <claus@gerull.nl> writes:

> Fotgotten to tell that on the same machine XEmacs just runs fine
> and have as many colors as i wish.
> It's the console and terminal sessions that are the problems.

Use Emacs 21.  Emacs 20 does not have color on terminals.

* Re: Newbie: no color in emacs 20.7
@ 2004-08-01  8:41     ` Beetlenut
From: Beetlenut @ 2004-08-01  8:41 UTC (permalink / raw)

Thanks, David

It works, just did't find anything in the Faq or Readme's.

regards, Claus

@ 2004-08-01 10:14       ` David Kastrup
From: David Kastrup @ 2004-08-01 10:14 UTC (permalink / raw)

[Toppost rearranged.  People tend to start reading at the beginning,
then go on to then end, then stop.]

Beetlenut <beetlenut_nl@removethis.hotmail.com> writes:

> David Kastrup wrote:
> > Claus Gerull <claus@gerull.nl> writes:
> >
> >>Fotgotten to tell that on the same machine XEmacs just runs fine
> >>and have as many colors as i wish.
> >>It's the console and terminal sessions that are the problems.
> > Use Emacs 21.  Emacs 20 does not have color on terminals.
> >

> Thanks, David
>
> It works, just did't find anything in the Faq or Readme's.

Well, since I don't have Emacs 20 installed here, I can't try to prove
whatever by digging up the relevant passages.  But there are quite
more reasons to use Emacs21 than colors on the terminal, anyway.