From: David Kastrup <dak@gnu.org>
Subject: Re: gtk and placement in 21.4
Date: Fri, 11 Feb 2005 16:17:21 +0100	[thread overview]

John Russell <jorussel@cisco.com> writes:

> I've been using emacs-cvs for a while now because of the gtk widgets.
> I upgraded to emacs-21.4 but it doesn't seem that the gtk widgets made
> it into the upgrade.

Nothing made it into the upgrade except a single security fix in a
supplementary program.

In short: whenever in the past people have been talking about what
great changes will be present in 21.4, replace 21.4 with 22.1 (the
latter number is not entirely bulletproof yet, but very likely).

> Are they still only in cvs?  does anyone know when gtk might make it
> into the mainline release?

With the next major release that was previously talked about as "21.4"
and will probably be called 22.1 instead.  The time frame did not
change: when it is ready, and there remain some bugs to fix and most
of all proofreading and checking of documentation.

> Also, using openbox placement under mouse has always worked with
> emacs 21.3 and cvs.  However, with 21.4 emacs always opens at the
> top left corner of my screen.  Does anyone know what might have
> changed in the release to cause this.  Thanks.

Not at all.  The binaries of 21.3 and 21.4 should be _exactly_
identical.  Perhaps your window manager does not recognize your
compilation as being an Emacs because of the path you called it under?