* Re: Question about align-to behaviour with wrap-mode
@ 2022-11-22  9:45 Abdul-Lateef Haji-Ali via Users list for the GNU Emacs text editor
From: Abdul-Lateef Haji-Ali via Users list for the GNU Emacs text editor @ 2022-11-22  9:45 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: eliz, help-gnu-emacs

Thanks Eli for explaining.

> I don't see the correct alignment here.  I see a behavior similar to the
> first recipe, as I'd expect.

This is what I see with this example on my Emacs 28.2 (assume window width is 50):

,----
| EEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE
|                                         After
`----

So the text is "correctly" aligned to (- right 10) on the second line. Are you seeing something different?

The only problem I see is that when the word is broken and word-wrap is off then I get

,----
| EEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE Af
| ter
`----

while if word wrap is on I get

,----
`----

> The bottom line is that you cannot use relative alignment if your lines can
> wrap, and hope for that to work.  For wrapped lines the alignment must be to
> absolute column numbers, and it must take the continuation lines into
> consideration when you calculate the alignment column.

I see. Do you mean that I should write a hook to update the alignment of "After" as more text is inserted before it (to calculate the alignment column taking the continuation lines into considerations)?
Or is there a way to have `align-to` be calculated from a function?

Thanks,
-- Al

________________________________
Heriot-Watt University was founded in 1821 and is a registered Scottish charity (SC000278).

* Question about align-to behaviour with wrap-mode
@ 2022-11-20 22:20 Abdul-Lateef Haji-Ali via Users list for the GNU Emacs text editor
From: Abdul-Lateef Haji-Ali via Users list for the GNU Emacs text editor @ 2022-11-20 22:20 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

I noticed what I think is strange behaviour with `:align-to` that I am wondering if it's intended and if there's a way of achieving a desired behaviour.

To reproduce in an `emacs -Q`, just run this:

(progn
   (toggle-word-wrap +1)
   (goto-char (point-max))
   (insert
    (concat "\n\n"
            (make-string (- (window-width) 3) 69)
            " "
            (propertize " " 'display
                        `(space :align-to (- right
                                             10)))
            "After\n\n")))

The word 'After' is not aligned to `(- right 10)` because the text before is too long. Instead "After" is displayed at the beginning of the next line (or broken across two lines if toggle-word-wrap is disabled) and the alignment is ignored.

If I execute instead

(progn
   (toggle-word-wrap +1)
   (goto-char (point-max))
   (insert
    (concat "\n\n"
            (make-string (window-width) 69)
            " "
            (propertize " " 'cursor 1 'display
                        `(space :align-to (- right
                                             10)))
            "After\n\n")))

the alignment is "correct" on the second line.

In both situation, I was intending (and expecting) the word "After" to be on the second line and to be correctly aligned at (- right 10). Is the current behaviour intended? Is there a way to achieve my desired behaviour?

I could of course add spaces before the right-aligned text, but then if more text is added I would need to adjust the spaces dynamically which is less-than-ideal.

-- Al

Heriot-Watt University was founded in 1821 and is a registered Scottish charity (SC000278).