* My gnuServer notes on Win2000
@ 2003-08-10 12:36 Herb Martin
From: Herb Martin @ 2003-08-10 12:36 UTC (permalink / raw)

I have trouble getting gnuServ gnuClient (gnuClientW)
to work (I'm new to Emacs) but this is what I found.

The 'docs' don't explain much...

Starting gnuServ manually is worthless but once you get
it working there is no need to putz around with ports and
such unless you want to change them or you want to run
it on a remote machine.

I put all the gnu* executables on my path but that didn't
help, so I shoved them into the emacs\bin directory and
found/wrote some code to make it work without having
to add THAT to the path....

I needed this snippet of code (for .emacs file):
From> Sams Teach Yourself Emacs in 24 Hours
URL> http://home.no.net/skund/emacs/emacs017.htm
Search the page for> Using gnuClient

;; start gnuserv on Windows
(if (or (eq window-system 'w32) (eq window-system 'win32))
    (progn
      (require 'gnuserv)
      (setq server-done-function 'bury-buffer
      gnuserv-frame (car (frame-list)))
      (gnuserv-start)
      ;;; open buffer in existing frame instead of creating new one...
      (setq gnuserv-frame (selected-frame))
      (message "gnuserv started.")))
;; end gnuserv start on Windows

;;This was needed from the README.nt included in the distr:
(setenv "GNUSERV_SHOW_EMACS" "1"); force gnuserv to show emacs
;;But it hasn't worked yet. <frown>

Then I needed a batch file to open many files at once, e.g.,
e *.txt
e file.txt file.c file.el c:\bat\e.cmd

@REM   here's the e.cmd file (on my path) - 1 line & echoes each file
@for %%a in (%*) do @echo %%a & @D:\Programs\emacs\bin\gnuclientw %%a
@REM change D:\... path for your machine

Then you can use "ftype" to set your txtfile (or whatever) to e.cmd
ftype txtfile=c:\bat\e.cmd %1

(to check the current setting you might want to just use:  ftype txtile
...first.)
Or check all the txtfile types:
assoc | findstr txtfile

(sorry about the findstr, I use grep/fgrep but findstr is built-in)

* Re: My gnuServer notes on Win2000
@ 2003-08-10 13:05 ` Matthias Rempe
From: Matthias Rempe @ 2003-08-10 13:05 UTC (permalink / raw)

    > I have trouble getting gnuServ gnuClient (gnuClientW) to work
    > (I'm new to Emacs) but this is what I found.

    > I put all the gnu* executables on my path but that didn't help,
    > so I shoved them into the emacs\bin directory and found/wrote
    > some code to make it work without having to add THAT to the
    > path....

hmm, I have the executables in emacs\bin, too, however, I've added
emacs\bin to the Windows PATH variable.

As far as I remember, there are different versions of gnuclient (my
works with mailslots, the other with ports?). I use "gnuclient 1.7 (27
Feb 1997)", "gnuserv 1.5 (27 Feb 1997)", and "gnudoit 1.3 (27 Feb
1997)".

    > I needed this snippet of code (for .emacs file):

I've nearly the same snippet, I think I got it from a post by Charles
Curley:

;; ---------------------------------------------------------------------------
;; Start GNUServ
;; ---------------------------------------------------------------------------
;; comments from C. Curley
;; start gnuserv stuff. Put it up front so you don't get into a timeout
;; problem, according to Cristian Ionescu-Idbohrn
;; <cristian.ionescu-idbohrn@axis.com>
(if (memq window-system '(win32 w32)) ; Windows NT/95
  (progn
      (require 'gnuserv)
      (gnuserv-start)
      ;;; open buffer in existing frame instead of creating new one...
      (setq gnuserv-frame (selected-frame))
      (message "gnuserv started.")))

;; ---------------------------------------------------------------------------

In my site-lisp directory, I have gnuserv.el:

(defconst gnuserv-rcs-header-id "$Header: gnuserv.el,v 2.1a 98/10/03
14:28:00 saurian $")

I then associated files in Explorer with gnuclientw, e.g.:
  txt -> open: gnuclientw.exe "%1"

Doubleclicking on a txt file then opens it in Emacs.

--
Matthias

* Re: My gnuServer notes on Win2000
@ 2003-08-10 13:53   ` Herb Martin
From: Herb Martin @ 2003-08-10 13:53 UTC (permalink / raw)

This fellow has a good article on it -- sort of a much better
version of my previous post (neat, formatted, more tips,
more code, etc.):

>  David Vanderschel
> http://www.math.auc.dk/~dethlef/Tips/gnuserv.txt

The trick on focus is "gnuClientW -f"  the -f bring the window
to the front with focus.

I added this BEFORE my "for...in...do..." loop so Emacs come
front, the files load as I watch -- and if there are no files in the
pattern, it just comes first.  (He put %1 in there statically and so
when there is NO %1, it makes a %1 buffer.  The for loop
covers a lot of little 'gotchas' in windows.)

@D:\Programs\emacs\bin\gnuclientw -f
@for %%a in (%*) do @echo %%a & @D:\Programs\emacs\bin\gnuclientw %%a

I add very little to the path -- if there is ONE (or two) files in a
directory,
the above batch pattern works great -- put THAT in your "bat" or "util"
directory, with either the same name as the program or a "short nickname."

David V. like Winkey from Copernic.Com and so do I -- WinKey-x is
now the quickkey for bringing Emacs front, or starting it if necessary (it's
got the full path to gnuclient -f

I try to avoid the built-in WinKeys:
  Windows Key + D:  Show Desktop*
  Windows Key + E:  Windows Explorer
  Windows Key + F:  Find Files or Folders...
  Windows Key + M:  Minimize All Windows
  Windows Key + Shift+M: Undo Minimize All
  Windows Key + R:  Run...
  Windows Key + Tab: Select Task
  Windows Key + Break: System Properties
  Windows Key + F1:  Windows Help

* Re: My gnuServer notes on Win2000
@ 2003-08-12 21:08 ` kgold
From: kgold @ 2003-08-12 21:08 UTC (permalink / raw)

FWIW, I have this in my emacs for Windows, Linux, and AIX:

; gnuserv

(require 'gnuserv)
(gnuserv-start)

On Windows, running "gnuclientw" just works.  On Unix, I have to start
one "emacs", and then use "gnuclient" once emacs is running.

Ken Goldman   kgold@watson.ibm.com   914-784-7646

* Re: My gnuServer notes on Win2000
@ 2003-08-13  1:04   ` Herb Martin
From: Herb Martin @ 2003-08-13  1:04 UTC (permalink / raw)

"kgold" <kgold@watson.ibm.com> wrote in message

> FWIW, I have this in my emacs for Windows, Linux, and AIX:
>
> ; gnuserv
>
> (require 'gnuserv)
> (gnuserv-start)
>
> On Windows, running "gnuclientw" just works.  On Unix, I have to start
> one "emacs", and then use "gnuclient" once emacs is running.

Presumably you have a "gnuserv.el" somewhere that sets this
up -- I downloaded a chunk of elisp and stuck it in my .emacs
file.

My little batch trick is so that I can do this:

e   *.txt    readme*

And get all .txt and anything that starts with readme to run.
It also fires the gnuserv the first time or brings emacs front
if I type it with no (matching) files.

Emacs starts if necessary and comes to top of window stack
(focus)