* switching from emacs to xemacs
@ 2003-09-16  9:56 Orm Finnendahl
From: Orm Finnendahl @ 2003-09-16  9:56 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi,

after years using emacs, I finally started to switch to xemacs. Some
things don't work as expected though:

1. Starting an inferior-scheme (guile) process leaves me with a buffer
   showing the right prompt, but no connection to the process (typing an
   expression and hitting return doesn't show any result from the scheme
   process). I tried the follwing lines in my .xemacs/init.el to no
   avail:

      (setq scheme-program-name
      "guile -l /usr/local/share/guile/site/guileinit.scm")

      (setq inferior-scheme-program
      "guile -l /usr/local/share/guile/site/guileinit.scm")

   The guile command works in an xterm and using the old emacs without
   problems.

   If I issue

      M-x run-ilisp <return>Dialect: guile<return>

   it works. But I have to load my init file and don't want to do that
   by hand.

2. Trying to change the Menubar Font under X fails. I edited my
   .Xresources and tried with all of the following lines, found in
   different helps, faqs, etc. on this subject in the web. All of them
   don't work:

   Emacs.menu*.fontList: -misc-fixed-medium-r-normal-*-10-*-*-*-*-*-*-*
   Emacs.pane.menubar.*.fontList: 6x10
   Emacs.pane.menubar*font: -misc-fixed-medium-r-normal-*-10-*-*-*-*-*-*-*
   Emacs.pane.menubar.font:  -adobe-times-medium-r-normal--11-80-100-100-p-*-iso10646-1
   Emacs.menu*.font:  -adobe-times-medium-r-normal--11-80-100-100-p-*-iso10646-1
   xemacs.pane.menubar.*.font: -misc-fixed-medium-r-normal-*-10-*-*-*-*-*-*-*
   Emacs.pane.menubar.*.fontList:  8x16
   Emacs*menubar*fontList: 6x10
   xemacs.pane.menubar.*.fontList: 6x10
   Emacs.paneFont: -misc-fixed-medium-r-normal-*-10-*-*-*-*-*-*-*
   Emacs*menubar*Font: 		-*-helvetica-bold-r-*-*-*-120-*-*-*-*-iso8859-*
   Emacs*menubar.font:	-*-helvetica-medium-r-*-*-10-*-*-*-*-*-*-*

   This one works immediately, so I think I'm editing the right file:

   Emacs*menubar*foreground:       Black
   Emacs*menubar*background:       gray90

I'm using xemacs 21.4.13, debian distro with lucid interface:

orm@grisey:~$ emacs --version

<...>

XEmacs 21.4 (patch 13) "Rational FORTRAN" [Lucid] (i386-debian-linux, Mule) of Sun Jul 20 2003 on eeyore

BTW: There is no /etc/X11/app-defaults/[xX]*[eE]macs on my system.

Any help is greatly appreciated.

--
Orm

* Re: switching from emacs to xemacs
       [not found] <mailman.295.1063706201.21628.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
@ 2003-09-16 14:45 ` Stefan Monnier
From: Stefan Monnier @ 2003-09-16 14:45 UTC (permalink / raw)

> after years using emacs, I finally started to switch to xemacs.

Too bad.  The Xresources you show are all for Emacs and I expect the ones
for XEmacs are different.  Ask comp.emacs.xemacs where they'll know better.

@ 2003-09-16 16:39 ` Glyn Millington
From: Glyn Millington @ 2003-09-16 16:39 UTC (permalink / raw)

Orm Finnendahl <finnendahl@folkwang-hochschule.de> writes:

> 2. Trying to change the Menubar Font under X fails. I edited my
>    .Xresources and tried with all of the following lines, found in
>    different helps, faqs, etc. on this subject in the web. All of them
>    don't work:

Specifically, try something like this

Emacs*menubar*fontList:  -b&h-lucidatypewriter-medium-r-normal-*-*-120-*-*-m-*-iso8859-1

More generally - there should be, under Help -> Samples, a speciment
Xdefaults file which will tell you  a lot about X-resources for Xemacs.
And the FAQ tells you where to find a list

Good luck

Glyn

* Re: switching from emacs to xemacs
@ 2003-09-16 16:45   ` Glyn Millington
       [not found]     ` <mailman.310.1063732266.21628.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: Glyn Millington @ 2003-09-16 16:45 UTC (permalink / raw)

Glyn Millington <glyn@millingtons.org> writes:

> Emacs*menubar*fontList:  etc

Sorry  -  I should have added that, as you'll discover in the docs, it is
a mistake to mix Emacs* and Xemacs* resources - If Xemavs discovers the
Xemacs* resources it will ignore the others.

Peace

Glyn

* Re: switching from emacs to xemacs
@ 2003-09-16 17:10     ` Orm Finnendahl
       [not found]     ` <mailman.310.1063732266.21628.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: Orm Finnendahl @ 2003-09-16 17:10 UTC (permalink / raw)

Am 16. September 2003, 17:45 Uhr (+0100) schrieb Glyn Millington:
> Glyn Millington <glyn@millingtons.org> writes:
>
> > Emacs*menubar*fontList:  etc
>
> Sorry  -  I should have added that, as you'll discover in the docs, it is
> a mistake to mix Emacs* and Xemacs* resources - If Xemavs discovers the
> Xemacs* resources it will ignore the others.

thanx for your help, Glyn. All tries didn't get me anywhere. I tried
another 10 or so combinations (with fontList, FontList, Fontlist,
FONTLIST, Xemacs, XEmacs, Emacs end such) and copied all the relevant
informations in the Help into my .Xresources, reissued xrdb each time
but the menubar font refuses to change. It's really frustrating. I
fear there is some other resource somewhere which overrides my
settings in .Xresources.

If I only knew, what it is...

@ 2003-09-16 18:09 ` Stein A. Stromme
       [not found]   ` <mailman.315.1063739287.21628.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: Stein A. Stromme @ 2003-09-16 18:09 UTC (permalink / raw)

[Orm Finnendahl]

| after years using emacs, I finally started to switch to xemacs.

Nobody asked yet, so here: why?

SA
--
Stein Arild Strømme            +47 55584825, +47 95801887
Universitetet i Bergen                  Fax: +47 55589672

@ 2003-09-16 18:11       ` Glyn Millington
From: Glyn Millington @ 2003-09-16 18:11 UTC (permalink / raw)

Orm Finnendahl <finnendahl@folkwang-hochschule.de> writes:
> thanx for your help, Glyn. All tries didn't get me anywhere. I tried
> another 10 or so combinations (with fontList, FontList, Fontlist,
> FONTLIST, Xemacs, XEmacs, Emacs end such) and copied all the relevant
> informations in the Help into my .Xresources, reissued xrdb each time
> but the menubar font refuses to change. It's really frustrating. I
> fear there is some other resource somewhere which overrides my
> settings in .Xresources.
>
> If I only knew, what it is...

Do you have an .Xdefaults file?
Are you running Xemacs under KDE by any chance?

Glyn

* Re: switching from emacs to xemacs
@ 2003-09-16 19:07   ` Orm Finnendahl
       [not found]     ` <mailman.349.1063801505.21628.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
       [not found]   ` <mailman.315.1063739287.21628.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: Orm Finnendahl @ 2003-09-16 19:07 UTC (permalink / raw)

Am 16. September 2003, 20:09 Uhr (+0200) schrieb Stein A. Stromme:
> [Orm Finnendahl]
>
> | after years using emacs, I finally started to switch to xemacs.
>
> Nobody asked yet, so here: why?

Well, actually because I couldn't get font-lock support in my color
xterm and because I erroneously thought emacs was somewhat outdated
and in the process of merging into xemacs. Little did I know about the
fact that these programs actually are different branches
altogether. And little did I know that color support only started with
emacs21 and I still had emacs 20.7.

Well, I ended up reading about emacs' and xemacs' history, upgraded to
emacs21 and voila, the colors work! Now I'm happy as happy can be
using emacs in a terminal window (I much prefer that to X anyway).

And sorry that I obviously was posting to the wrong list.

The only thing I slightly regret is that it doesn't seem to be
possible to use "emacsclient" in the same terminal as the issuing
process (like with xemacs' "gnuclient -nw" command) but rather in the
emacs server window.

Are there any workarounds?

Thanx,

@ 2003-09-16 19:40     ` Stein A. Stromme
From: Stein A. Stromme @ 2003-09-16 19:40 UTC (permalink / raw)

[Orm Finnendahl]

| The only thing I slightly regret is that it doesn't seem to be
| possible to use "emacsclient" in the same terminal as the issuing
| process (like with xemacs' "gnuclient -nw" command) but rather in the
| emacs server window.
|
| Are there any workarounds?

Can't help you there, but in your shoes I'd start a new thread with
a subject line indicating *that* problem.
--

@ 2003-09-17 12:24     ` Adam Hardy
       [not found]     ` <mailman.349.1063801505.21628.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: Adam Hardy @ 2003-09-17 12:24 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: help-gnu-emacs

I started using emacs 3 years ago on windows, now i use it on linux in
KDE and at the command line and in the console in KDE with the -nw
option, all without thinking about which emacs I use or why.

I've always wondered what the difference is between emacs and xemacs.
And this is a gnu-emacs list - so what is gnu-emacs, and what is OT on
this list?

Sorry for remaining ignorant for so long.

Adam

--
GNU Emacs 21.2.1 on Linux 2.4.20 RH9

@ 2003-09-17 12:54       ` Jean-Philippe Théberge
From: Jean-Philippe Théberge @ 2003-09-17 12:54 UTC (permalink / raw)

Adam Hardy <emacs@cyberspaceroad.com> writes:

> I started using emacs 3 years ago on windows, now i use it on linux in
> KDE and at the command line and in the console in KDE with the -nw
> option, all without thinking about which emacs I use or why.
>
> I've always wondered what the difference is between emacs and
> xemacs. And this is a gnu-emacs list - so what is gnu-emacs, and what
> is OT on this list?
>
> Sorry for remaining ignorant for so long.
>
> Adam
>

> --
> GNU Emacs 21.2.1 on Linux 2.4.20 RH9

Adam, see thoses pages: