* file name completition problem
@ 2002-09-13  7:37 Christoph Aussem
From: Christoph Aussem @ 2002-09-13  7:37 UTC (permalink / raw)

hello

i am using emacs 21.2 and i  have got a problem with the TAB file name
completition. when i try to extend an existing filename i just get [no
match].  i tried 21.1 but got the same problem.

christoph

* Re: file name completition problem
@ 2002-09-13  9:20 ` Jonas Steverud
From: Jonas Steverud @ 2002-09-13  9:20 UTC (permalink / raw)

Christoph Aussem <chris.aussem@gmx.de> writes:

> i am using emacs 21.2 and i  have got a problem with the TAB file name
> completition. when i try to extend an existing filename i just get [no
> match].  i tried 21.1 but got the same problem.

Emacs seems to sort out certain file names doing tab completion
(e.g. *.toc IIRC in AUCTeX), can it be that? Which kinds of files has
you tried to complete? I do not know which variable it is that
controls this behaviour.

--
(          www.dtek.chalmers.se/~d4jonas/         !     Wei Wu Wei     )
(        Meaning of U2 Lyrics, Roleplaying        !  To Do Without Do  )

* Re: file name completition problem
@ 2002-09-13 14:57   ` Stefan Monnier <foo@acm.com>
From: Stefan Monnier <foo@acm.com> @ 2002-09-13 14:57 UTC (permalink / raw)

>> i am using emacs 21.2 and i  have got a problem with the TAB file name
>> completition. when i try to extend an existing filename i just get [no
>> match].  i tried 21.1 but got the same problem.
> Emacs seems to sort out certain file names doing tab completion
> (e.g. *.toc IIRC in AUCTeX), can it be that? Which kinds of files has
> you tried to complete? I do not know which variable it is that
> controls this behaviour.

It's completion-ignored-extensions, but it's not the problem because that
variable will never cause a "no match": if the only match is a file with
one of the ignored extensions, then the file is still selected.
I.e. those ignored files are only ignored as long as there's some other
file that matches the current prefix.  So it doesn't really ignore, but
just gives preference to other files.

* Re: file name completition problem
@ 2002-09-14  0:45   ` Chris Aussem
From: Chris Aussem @ 2002-09-14  0:45 UTC (permalink / raw)

> Emacs seems to sort out certain file names doing tab completion
> (e.g. *.toc IIRC in AUCTeX), can it be that? Which kinds of files has
> you tried to complete? I do not know which variable it is that
> controls this behaviour.

no it has nothing to do with ignoring special file names. its just the
problem that emacs doesnt complete any file or directory name - without any
exception.
i have nothing changed in the configuration, the problem occurs directly
after compilation.

* Re: file name completition problem
@ 2002-09-14  6:41     ` Jonas Steverud
From: Jonas Steverud @ 2002-09-14  6:41 UTC (permalink / raw)

"Chris Aussem" <chris.aussem@gmx.de> writes:

[...]
> i have nothing changed in the configuration, the problem occurs directly
> after compilation.

I assume you have tried emacs -q -no-init-file and all other relevant
arguments.

Sorry, I have no ideas. Never had the problem myself.