* recursively directory listing in dired way.
@ 2008-11-19  4:03 Anand S. Dhankshirur
From: Anand S. Dhankshirur @ 2008-11-19  4:03 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

I have installed 22.3 version of emacs in my system.
I want to list all the subdirectories and its contents of a directory
recursively in a dired buffer.
So that i can go to that file.
(running ls -lR shell command lists all the contents recursively but not
in dired way!)
I want to list all the contents in dired way.
How to do that?
Regards,
Anand

* Re: recursively directory listing in dired way.
       [not found] <mailman.728.1227079436.26697.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
@ 2008-11-19  7:53 ` Xah
From: Xah @ 2008-11-19  7:53 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

On Nov 18, 8:03 pm, "Anand S. Dhankshirur" <a...@cdotb.ernet.in>
wrote:
> I have installed 22.3 version of emacs in my system.
> I want to list all the subdirectories and its contents of a directory
> recursively in a dired buffer.
> So that i can go to that file.
> (running ls -lR shell command lists all the contents recursively but not
> in dired way!)
> I want to list all the contents in dired way.
> How to do that?

maybe there are better ways, but i just go to the dir, then do
Alt+x find-dired
when it asks for “Run Find”, give “-type f”. If you want html only,
you can do “-name *html” for example.

  Xah
∑ http://xahlee.org/^ permalink raw reply	[flat|nested] 8+ messages in thread

* Re: recursively directory listing in dired way.
@ 2008-11-19 10:08 ` Peter Dyballa
From: Peter Dyballa @ 2008-11-19 10:08 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: asd; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

Am 19.11.2008 um 05:03 schrieb Anand S. Dhankshirur:

> I want to list all the contents in dired way.
> How to do that?

Look up "Virtual Dired" in dired-x. It's in info.

--
Greetings

   Pete

Experience is what you get when you don't get what you want.

* Re: recursively directory listing in dired way.
@ 2008-11-19 11:55 ` Paul R
       [not found]   ` <4924DF4B.4050206@cdotb.ernet.in>
From: Paul R @ 2008-11-19 11:55 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: asd; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

Anand>  How to do that? Regards, Anand

M-x find-dired

--
  Paul

@ 2008-11-19 19:22 ` Alan
From: Alan @ 2008-11-19 19:22 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

On Nov 18, 10:03 pm, "Anand S. Dhankshirur" <a...@cdotb.ernet.in>
wrote:
> I have installed 22.3 version of emacs in my system.
> I want to list all the subdirectories and its contents of a directory
> recursively in a dired buffer.
> So that i can go to that file.
> (running ls -lR shell command lists all the contents recursively but not
> in dired way!)
> I want to list all the contents in dired way.
> How to do that?
> Regards,
> Anand

Is the answer the following (call dired with a prefix), or did I
overlook something?

C-x d runs the command dired
  which is an interactive compiled Lisp function in `dired.el'.
It is bound to C-x d, <menu-bar> <file> <dired>.
(dired dirname &optional switches)

"Edit" directory dirname--delete, rename, print, etc. some files in
it.
Optional second argument switches specifies the `ls' options used.

I checked that it worked, with

GNU Emacs 22.1.1 (i386-mingw-nt5.1.2600) of 2007-06-02 on RELEASE

@ 2008-11-20  7:23 ` parozusa
From: parozusa @ 2008-11-20  7:23 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

  "Anand S. Dhankshirur" writes:

  > I have installed 22.3 version of emacs in my system.
  > I want to list all the subdirectories and its contents of a directory
  > recursively in a dired buffer.
  > So that i can go to that file.
  > (running ls -lR shell command lists all the contents recursively but
  > not in dired way!)
  > I want to list all the contents in dired way.
  > How to do that?
  > Regards,
  > Anand

Hi,

add the 'R' option to the underlying ls command by typing "1 s" in the
dired buffer of the top level directory:

  s runs the command dired-sort-toggle-or-edit, which is an interactive
  compiled Lisp function in `dired.el'.

  It is bound to s.

  (dired-sort-toggle-or-edit &optional arg)

  Toggle between sort by date/name and refresh the dired buffer.
  With a prefix argument you can edit the current listing switches instead.
  ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Martin

@ 2008-11-20  9:16     ` Paul R
From: Paul R @ 2008-11-20  9:16 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: asd; +Cc: GnuEmacs Help

Hi Anand,

[ please reply to list or keep it as cc ]

Anand> Hi Paul, Thanks I found it working. I have one more question
Anand> GVIM, provides the auto completions with the exhaustive list of
Anand> all the possibilities. while typing in .c file (for example
Anand> GS_AM_ will give all the auto completions for all the tokens
Anand> strating with GS_AM.) In emacs also M-/ gives the completions
Anand> which are there in current buffer. Furhter it gives the case
Anand> insensitive one.(the cases are ignored). But it will not give the
Anand> completions from the TAGS file It does not consider other files
Anand> and buffers. Is there any way to do it in emacs.?

As usual with emacs, there isn't a single way but many, none of them
being "the one".

A lot of people wrote packages for completion, I think they should be
listed and detailled here :

    http://www.emacswiki.org/emacs/CategoryCompletion

Some of them will come bundled to your emacs distribution, some others
won't. Please read and find out which suits the best your needs.

--
  Paul

* Re: recursively directory listing in dired way.
@ 2008-11-20 10:01       ` Anand S. Dhankshirur
From: Anand S. Dhankshirur @ 2008-11-20 10:01 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Paul R; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

Hi Paul
Thanks.
Got answered.
I will look into what you have suggested.