* syntax highlighting will not work w/ Apple's X11
@ 2004-11-02 16:03 Daniel Hartmanstorfer
From: Daniel Hartmanstorfer @ 2004-11-02 16:03 UTC (permalink / raw)

I have Apple's X11 v. 1.0 on Panther and I cannot get syntax
highlighting to work.  It will work using terminal.app but I really
need it work with an xterm in X11.  I set global font locking to no
avail.  Can anyone help?
Daniel Hartmanstorfer

--
"Oppurtunity is missed by most because it is dressed in overalls and
looks like work"

* Re: syntax highlighting will not work w/ Apple's X11
       [not found] <mailman.215.1099411930.8225.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
@ 2004-11-02 18:05 ` respower
From: respower @ 2004-11-02 18:05 UTC (permalink / raw)

On 2004-11-02, Daniel Hartmanstorfer <daniel.hartmanstorfer@gmail.com> wrote:
>  Can anyone help?

I assume you mean syntax coloring?  Highlighting works, but with TERM
set to 'xterm', color doesn't.  Easy fix: set TERM to xterm-color:

 export TERM=xterm-color [bash]
 setenv TERM xterm-color [tcsh]

You might be able to enable xterm color in ~/.Xresources but I'm not
sure offhand what resource it would be.

Finally, you might want to consider using an X11-aware gnuemacs rather
than running emacs in non-windowed mode in an xterm.

* Re: syntax highlighting will not work w/ Apple's X11
@ 2004-11-02 18:34 Joe Corneli
From: Joe Corneli @ 2004-11-02 18:34 UTC (permalink / raw)

Does ls -C work with your xterm?  If you can't get color strings
there, then that would be a place to start.

You can also compile emacs so it runs under X and not inside a
terminal; color may be easier to set up in a situation like this.

* Re: syntax highlighting will not work w/ Apple's X11
       [not found] <mailman.255.1099420949.8225.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
@ 2004-11-02 19:01 ` Tim McNamara
From: Tim McNamara @ 2004-11-02 19:01 UTC (permalink / raw)

Joe Corneli <jcorneli@math.utexas.edu> writes:

> Does ls -C work with your xterm?  If you can't get color strings
> there, then that would be a place to start.
>
> You can also compile emacs so it runs under X and not inside a
> terminal; color may be easier to set up in a situation like this.

This is what I did and Emacs displays color just fine under the Mac OS
X X11 environment.  Another option is to get one of the several Carbon
versions of Emacs which run natively under the OS X interface.