* Same file/two windows
@ 2006-01-16 19:01 Tim Johnson
From: Tim Johnson @ 2006-01-16 19:01 UTC (permalink / raw)

Using ver 21.2.1 on linux.

Example: I have a file foo.py open in 2 windows (same frame)
In the lower window, I have the cursor on line 1 of foo.py and
in the upper window, I have the cursor on line 100 of foo.py.

Now, in the lower window, I switch to foobar.py and do some
coding there and I then switch back to foo.py.
Egads! The cursor is now at line 100 (or whatever line the
cursor is on in the upper window).

Is there a configuration that will enable the original position
to the buffer in the lower window to be perserved?
I.E.: in this example - line 1

Vim does this very well.
thanks
tim

--
Tim Johnson <tim@johnsons-web.com>

* Re: Same file/two windows
       [not found] <mailman.1329.1137438066.26925.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
@ 2006-01-16 19:05 ` Albert Reiner
From: Albert Reiner @ 2006-01-16 19:05 UTC (permalink / raw)

[Tim Johnson <tim@johnsons-web.com>, Mon, 16 Jan 2006 10:01:25 -0900]:

,----[ C-h f make-indirect-buffer RET ]
| make-indirect-buffer is an interactive built-in function.
| (make-indirect-buffer BASE-BUFFER NAME &optional CLONE)
|
| Create and return an indirect buffer for buffer BASE-BUFFER, named NAME.
| BASE-BUFFER should be an existing buffer (or buffer name).
| NAME should be a string which is not the name of an existing buffer.
| Optional argument CLONE non-nil means preserve BASE-BUFFER's state,
| such as major and minor modes, in the indirect buffer.
| CLONE nil means the indirect buffer's state is reset to default values.
`----

Albert.