* Inserting date, Disabling the Yes/No question
@ 2002-08-31 20:51 Jesse Mathias Marder
From: Jesse Mathias Marder @ 2002-08-31 20:51 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hello,

Is there a built in function or a package to gnu emacs 21.2 that
inserts the current date in the document, undepedent of the current
major mode?

And besides that, I'd like to disable the yes/no question when killing
a modified buffer,m or at least chatnge t it no y/n. How can I do
this?

Thanks in anvance,
Jesse

* Re: Inserting date, Disabling the Yes/No question
@ 2002-09-02 20:51 ` Ehud Karni
From: Ehud Karni @ 2002-09-02 20:51 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: help-gnu-emacs

On Sat, 31 Aug 2002 22:51:46 +0200, Jesse Mathias Marder <yarblocks@yahoo.com> wrote:

> Is there a built in function or a package to gnu emacs 21.2 that
> inserts the current date in the document, undepedent of the current
> major mode?

Here is a simple function I use to inserts the date and time:

(defvar current-date-time-format " %d/%m/%y %H:%M:%S "
  "Format of date to insert with `insert-current-date-time' func
See help of `format-time-string' for possible replacements")

(defun insert-current-date-time ()
  "insert the current date and time into current buffer.
Uses `current-date-time-format' for the formatting the date/time."
       (interactive)
       (insert (format-time-string current-date-time-format (current-time))))

I use the Alt Shift C combination for this function:
    (global-set-key [?\A-C] 'insert-current-date-time)
If your Alt key creates the Meta modifier, then use:
    (global-set-key [?\M-C] 'insert-current-date-time)
Of course, you can choose any key you like.

Ehud.

--
 Ehud Karni           Tel: +972-3-7966-561  /"\
 Mivtach - Simon      Fax: +972-3-7966-667  \ /  ASCII Ribbon Campaign

* Re: Inserting date, Disabling the Yes/No question
@ 2002-09-10 13:14 ` Oliver Scholz
From: Oliver Scholz @ 2002-09-10 13:14 UTC (permalink / raw)

Jesse Mathias Marder <yarblocks@yahoo.com> writes:

> Hello,
>
> Is there a built in function or a package to gnu emacs 21.2 that
> inserts the current date in the document, undepedent of the current
> major mode?

Yes. There is time-stamp.el, which ships with Emacs 21

,----

`----

> And besides that, I'd like to disable the yes/no question when killing
> a modified buffer,m or at least chatnge t it no y/n. How can I do
> this?
[...]

Thomas Burdick once posted a nice macro to change `yes-or-no-p' to
`y-or-n-p' function-wise:

(require 'cl)

(defmacro make-shorter-response (&rest names)
  `(progn
     ,@(mapcar (lambda (name)
		 `(defadvice ,name (around shorter-response)
		    (flet ((yes-or-no-p (prompt) (y-or-n-p prompt)))
		      ad-do-it)))
	       names)
     ,@(mapcar (lambda (name) `(ad-activate (quote ,name)))
	       names)))