* emacs(client|server) vs. gnu(client|server)
@ 2002-09-13  8:27 Luis O. Silva
From: Luis O. Silva @ 2002-09-13  8:27 UTC (permalink / raw)

Dear Emacs community,

In my personal Gnu/Linux system with Emacs 21.1.1 I've been
using emacs(client|server) for some time and I'm very happy
with it. Recently I read about gnu(client|server) and, from
the context, I inferred that it works as
emacs(client|server). In the emacs documentation available on
my system there is no information about gnu(client|server)
(well, more precisely, my search failed).

Could anybody, please, clarify me the difference between these
uses of emacs? Is gnu(client|server) a standard package of
emacs? Where can I find information on this?

Thank you very much in advance,
luis

--
Luis Octavio Silva P.
St. Petersburg State University.

* Re: emacs(client|server) vs. gnu(client|server)
       [not found] <mailman.1031904732.3602.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
@ 2002-09-13 14:54 ` Kai Großjohann
From: Kai Großjohann @ 2002-09-13 14:54 UTC (permalink / raw)

"Luis O. Silva" <silva@paloma.spbu.ru> writes:

> Could anybody, please, clarify me the difference between these
> uses of emacs? Is gnu(client|server) a standard package of
> emacs? Where can I find information on this?

Both started from the same base and then diverged.  gnuclient can
contact an Emacs running on another host for editing files.  Also,
using the gnudoit program you can tell the Emacs server to execute
arbitrary Lisp code.

If you use NT Emacs, then the NT Emacs FAQ
(http://www.gnu.org/software/emacs/windows/ntemacs.html) has some
hints.  For XEmacs, gnuclient is the standard package I think.

Otherwise, Google probably helps.  There are a lot of implementations
and ports of gnuclient floating around, and I'm not sure at the moment
which is the most recent / best one.

kai

PS: Using gnuclient as an abbreviation for gnuclient/gnuserv.
--
~/.signature is: umop 3p!sdn    (Frank Nobis)

* Re: emacs(client|server) vs. gnu(client|server)
@ 2002-09-16 13:51 ` Alexander Koptelov
From: Alexander Koptelov @ 2002-09-16 13:51 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: help-gnu-emacs

I'm using gnuclient with GNU emacs. If anybody interest in it, I can provide
you changed lisp code of gnuserv.el.

[-- Attachment #2: gnuserv.el --]

It works with standard xemacs gnuclient/gnudoit programs.

HTH

--
Alexander Koptelov
Institute for System Programming, Russian Academy of Sciences

* Re: emacs(client|server) vs. gnu(client|server)
@ 2002-09-17 10:22   ` Sven Utcke
From: Sven Utcke @ 2002-09-17 10:22 UTC (permalink / raw)

Kai.Grossjohann@CS.Uni-Dortmund.DE (Kai  =?iso-8859-15?q?Gro=DFjohann?=) writes:

> Both started from the same base and then diverged.  gnuclient can
> contact an Emacs running on another host for editing files.

Talking about which: I normally sit in front of kogs31, and have
gnuclient set up in such a way that if I am logged into another
machine (kogs2, say) via ssh, if I edit a file there an emacs frame
pops up on kogs31.

So far so well.  But yesterday I then moved bodily to kogs2, and
needed to edit something on the display of kogs2.  I _thought_ I would
be able to use gnuclient to signal the emacs on kogs31 to open a
window on kogs2 to let me edit, but not so.  So, does this mean that
the above can not be done, or only that I am to dump to understand the
manual?

Sven
--
 _  __                     The Cognitive Systems Group
| |/ /___  __ _ ___                                       University of Hamburg
| ' </ _ \/ _` (_-<  phone:    +49 (0)40 42883-2576      Vogt-Koelln-Strasse 30
|_|\_\___/\__, /__/  fax  :    +49 (0)40 42883-2572             D-22527 Hamburg
          |___/ http://kogs-www.informatik.uni-hamburg.de/~utcke/home.html

* Re: emacs(client|server) vs. gnu(client|server)
@ 2002-09-17 13:13     ` Phillip Lord
From: Phillip Lord @ 2002-09-17 13:13 UTC (permalink / raw)

  Sven> Kai.Grossjohann@CS.Uni-Dortmund.DE (Kai
  Sven> =?iso-8859-15?q?Gro=DFjohann?=) writes:

  >> Both started from the same base and then diverged.  gnuclient can
  >> contact an Emacs running on another host for editing files.

  Sven> Talking about which: I normally sit in front of kogs31, and
  Sven> have gnuclient set up in such a way that if I am logged into
  Sven> another machine (kogs2, say) via ssh, if I edit a file there
  Sven> an emacs frame pops up on kogs31.

  Sven> So far so well.  But yesterday I then moved bodily to kogs2,
  Sven> and needed to edit something on the display of kogs2.  I
  Sven> _thought_ I would be able to use gnuclient to signal the emacs
  Sven> on kogs31 to open a window on kogs2 to let me edit, but not
  Sven> so.  So, does this mean that the above can not be done, or
  Sven> only that I am to dump to understand the manual?

gnuclient can do this I think, with the -h parameter, to specific the
hostname. But you have to be careful because gnuclient allows
execution of arbitrary lisp on the server emacs, which means arbitrary
processes on the server machine.

The easiest way to get this to work is just to stick "ssh kog31" in
front of the gnuclient call....

At least if I understand what you are asking correctly.

Cheers

Phil

* Re: emacs(client|server) vs. gnu(client|server)
@ 2002-09-17 14:24     ` Kai Großjohann
From: Kai Großjohann @ 2002-09-17 14:24 UTC (permalink / raw)

Sven Utcke <utcke+news@informatik.uni-hamburg.de> writes:

> So far so well.  But yesterday I then moved bodily to kogs2, and
> needed to edit something on the display of kogs2.  I _thought_ I would
> be able to use gnuclient to signal the emacs on kogs31 to open a
> window on kogs2 to let me edit, but not so.  So, does this mean that
> the above can not be done, or only that I am to dump to understand the
> manual?

So you used gnudoit to have Emacs do make-frame-on-display?  Maybe
Emacs didn't have permission to open a frame on your display.

kai
--

@ 2002-09-18  9:13       ` Sven Utcke
From: Sven Utcke @ 2002-09-18  9:13 UTC (permalink / raw)

Phillip Lord <p.lord@russet.org.uk> writes:

>   Sven> Kai.Grossjohann@CS.Uni-Dortmund.DE (Kai
>   Sven> =?iso-8859-15?q?Gro=DFjohann?=) writes:
>
>   >> Both started from the same base and then diverged.  gnuclient can
>   >> contact an Emacs running on another host for editing files.
>
>   Sven> Talking about which: I normally sit in front of kogs31, and
>   Sven> have gnuclient set up in such a way that if I am logged into
>   Sven> another machine (kogs2, say) via ssh, if I edit a file there
>   Sven> an emacs frame pops up on kogs31.

This is with:

kogs2>/home/utcke% echo $EDITOR
gnuclient -h kogs31.informatik.uni-hamburg.de -r/r:kogs2:

where I am connecting to an Emacs running on kogs31, and the file is
found on kogs2 using an (old) version of tramp.

>   Sven> So far so well.  But yesterday I then moved bodily to kogs2,
>   Sven> and needed to edit something on the display of kogs2.  I
>   Sven> _thought_ I would be able to use gnuclient to signal the emacs
>   Sven> on kogs31 to open a window on kogs2 to let me edit, but not
>   Sven> so.  So, does this mean that the above can not be done, or
>   Sven> only that I am to dump to understand the manual?
>
> gnuclient can do this I think, with the -h parameter, to specific the
> hostname.

Well, the above didn't work (I assume it opened a frame on display
kogs31:0.  So I would need some way to specify the display on which
the emacs should open (maybe $DISPLAY does this already?), and some
way to tunnel that display...

> The easiest way to get this to work is just to stick "ssh kog31" in
> front of the gnuclient call....

Hmm.  Yes, I suppose you are right...

Sven
--

@ 2002-09-18  9:16       ` Sven Utcke
From: Sven Utcke @ 2002-09-18  9:16 UTC (permalink / raw)

> Sven Utcke <utcke+news@informatik.uni-hamburg.de> writes:
>
> > So far so well.  But yesterday I then moved bodily to kogs2, and
> > needed to edit something on the display of kogs2.  I _thought_ I would
> > be able to use gnuclient to signal the emacs on kogs31 to open a
> > window on kogs2 to let me edit, but not so.  So, does this mean that
> > the above can not be done, or only that I am to dump to understand the
> > manual?
>
> So you used gnudoit to have Emacs do make-frame-on-display?

Nope, I actually never used gnudoit at all.  Should I?  What I tried
were variants of:

kogs2>/home/utcke% echo $EDITOR
gnuclient -h kogs31.informatik.uni-hamburg.de -r/r:kogs2:

(which clearly show that I am using an outdated version of tramp :-)

> Maybe Emacs didn't have permission to open a frame on your display.

Quite possibly.  I'm using ssh to tunnel the X-display --- but how do
I tell Emacs about this?  Hmm...  There is no option --display  which
I could give to gnuclient...

Still baffled

Sven
--

@ 2002-09-20 13:42         ` Kai Großjohann
From: Kai Großjohann @ 2002-09-20 13:42 UTC (permalink / raw)

Sven Utcke <utcke+news@informatik.uni-hamburg.de> writes:

> Quite possibly.  I'm using ssh to tunnel the X-display --- but how do
> I tell Emacs about this?  Hmm...  There is no option --display  which
> I could give to gnuclient...

My suggestion is to use gnudoit to have Emacs execute
(make-frame-on-display "frumple:0") and then open a file in that
frame.  Or maybe the other way round.

kai
--

@ 2002-09-23 13:00           ` Sven Utcke
From: Sven Utcke @ 2002-09-23 13:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

> Sven Utcke <utcke+news@informatik.uni-hamburg.de> writes:
>
> > Quite possibly.  I'm using ssh to tunnel the X-display --- but how do
> > I tell Emacs about this?  Hmm...  There is no option --display  which
> > I could give to gnuclient...
>
> My suggestion is to use gnudoit to have Emacs execute
> (make-frame-on-display "frumple:0") and then open a file in that
> frame.  Or maybe the other way round.

yepp, this seems to work --- now I just need to automate this :-)

Thanks

Sven