* ECB for LaTeX?
@ 2003-05-13 13:04 Kai Großjohann
From: Kai Großjohann @ 2003-05-13 13:04 UTC (permalink / raw)

I'm wondering if ECB would be of any help for composing LaTeX
documents.  Opinions?
--
This line is not blank.

* Re: ECB for LaTeX?
@ 2003-05-13 13:31 ` Phillip Lord
From: Phillip Lord @ 2003-05-13 13:31 UTC (permalink / raw)

  Kai> I'm wondering if ECB would be of any help for composing LaTeX
  Kai> documents.  Opinions?

It should be. The new version in CVS does a speedbar like display in
the methods buffer (or sections, subsections and so on), although when
I last tried this it didn't work cleanly, and sadly I have no had time
to write up a good bug report. This was a feature that I asked for,
because the methods buffer was empty when using latex, when it would
have been very useful.

Phil

* Re: ECB for LaTeX?
@ 2003-05-13 16:13   ` Klaus Berndl
From: Klaus Berndl @ 2003-05-13 16:13 UTC (permalink / raw)

I think, in my role as the ECB-maintainer i can bring some light into the
darkness ;-)

On 13 May 2003, Phillip Lord wrote:

>    Kai> I'm wondering if ECB would be of any help for composing LaTeX
>    Kai> documents.  Opinions?
>
>  It should be. The new version in CVS does a speedbar like display in

Not only a speedbar-like mechanism - it is the speedbar mechanism. In fact,
ECB uses the original speedbar-mechanism for displaying file-contents of
file-types which can not being parsed by semantic but by imenu and/or etags.
So, if speedbar can parse the file-type, ECB will be autom. able too!

>  the methods buffer (or sections, subsections and so on), although when
>  I last tried this it didn't work cleanly, and sadly I have no had time
>  to write up a good bug report.

Yes, i know...this was the reason i have posted an announcement in the
ECB-mailing list about the new feature in the CVS...people should beta-test
this so i can make this feature stable for next production-version of ECB.
Currently I'm quite busy but i hope to find the time in the near future to fix
currently existing bugs in this new feature.

And for this some bug-reports from users would be really helpful ;-)

But parsing- and displaying stuff of this new feature works already well
(other opinions are appreciated!), the only thing i have to fix is the
integration into ECB concerning when to reparse/update the display, flushing
the cache...should not be too hard!

>  This was a feature that I asked for,
>  because the methods buffer was empty when using latex, when it would
>  have been very useful.

Yes, thanks to Phil for this suggestion!

Ciao,
Klaus

--
Klaus Berndl			mailto: klaus.berndl@sdm.de
sd&m AG				http://www.sdm.de

* Re: ECB for LaTeX?
@ 2003-05-13 16:19     ` Klaus Berndl
From: Klaus Berndl @ 2003-05-13 16:19 UTC (permalink / raw)

On 13 May 2003, Klaus Berndl wrote:

>  I think, in my role as the ECB-maintainer i can bring some light into the
>  darkness ;-)

> >    Kai> I'm wondering if ECB would be of any help for composing LaTeX
> >    Kai> documents.  Opinions?
> >
> >  It should be. The new version in CVS does a speedbar like display in
>
>  Not only a speedbar-like mechanism - it is the speedbar mechanism. In fact,
>  ECB uses the original speedbar-mechanism for displaying file-contents of
>  file-types which can not being parsed by semantic but by imenu and/or
>  etags. So, if speedbar can parse the file-type, ECB will be autom. able
>  too!
>
> >  the methods buffer (or sections, subsections and so on), although when
> >  I last tried this it didn't work cleanly, and sadly I have no had time
> >  to write up a good bug report.
>
>  Yes, i know...this was the reason i have posted an announcement in the
>  ECB-mailing list about the new feature in the CVS...people should beta-test
>  this so i can make this feature stable for next production-version of ECB.
>  Currently I'm quite busy but i hope to find the time in the near future to
>  fix currently existing bugs in this new feature.
>
>  And for this some bug-reports from users would be really helpful ;-)

Hmm, maybe i should offer at Sourceforge a downloadable beta-version of
current CVS-code so people who are willing to play beta-tester can easily
download and install and have no need to checkout from CVS....Yes, i think i
will offer this tomorrow at Sourceforge...i will write an announcement in the
ECB-mailing list and also as followup to this thread.....

You can mail me if you are interested in testing the new feature
(parsing/displaying non-semantic-contents like TeX, LaTeX, perl...Then i will
send you either a message when the beta-version is ready for download or i can
send you a CVS-version of ECB directly...

--

@ 2003-05-13 16:30     ` Phillip Lord
From: Phillip Lord @ 2003-05-13 16:30 UTC (permalink / raw)

  Klaus> I think, in my role as the ECB-maintainer i can bring some
  Klaus> light into the darkness ;-)

  Kai> I'm wondering if ECB would be of any help for composing
  >> LaTeX Kai> documents.  Opinions?
  >>
  >> It should be. The new version in CVS does a speedbar like display
  >> in

  Klaus> Not only a speedbar-like mechanism

I said "speedbar like display". Since its in a window of its own,
rather than speedbar, it is indeed only speedbar like.

Do forgive me, I'm going through a pedantic phase!

  >> the methods buffer (or sections, subsections and so on), although
  >> when I last tried this it didn't work cleanly, and sadly I have
  >> no had time to write up a good bug report.

  Klaus> Yes, i know...this was the reason i have posted an
  Klaus> announcement in the ECB-mailing list about the new feature in
  Klaus> the CVS...people should beta-test this so i can make this
  Klaus> feature stable for next production-version of ECB.  Currently
  Klaus> I'm quite busy but i hope to find the time in the near future
  Klaus> to fix currently existing bugs in this new feature.

  Klaus> And for this some bug-reports from users would be really
  Klaus> helpful ;-)

Yeah, I know. The problem at the moment is the best bug report I can
give, is "it doesn't work cleanly", which I guessed, correctly as it
turns out, that you already knew this.

Normally I would be happy to spend a little bit of time tracking this
down, what works, and what doesn't, or even get my debugger out and
fix up a patch. But I'm just too busy at the moment.

  >> This was a feature that I asked for, because the methods buffer
  >> was empty when using latex, when it would have been very useful.

  Klaus> Yes, thanks to Phil for this suggestion!

Thanks for implementing it! I'm sure it too a fair bit more work than
making the suggestion. This why I would normally like to write a
proper bug report...it seems small recompense for being given such
useful software for free (and freely!).

Cheers

Phil

* Re: ECB for LaTeX?
@ 2003-05-13 18:59       ` Martin Stemplinger
From: Martin Stemplinger @ 2003-05-13 18:59 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Di Mai 13 2003 at 18:19, Klaus Berndl <klaus.berndl@sdm.de> wrote:

> You can mail me if you are interested in testing the new feature
> (parsing/displaying non-semantic-contents like TeX, LaTeX, perl...

What about support for XML?

Regards
Martin

* Re: ECB for LaTeX?
@ 2003-05-13 20:01     ` Kai Großjohann
From: Kai Großjohann @ 2003-05-13 20:01 UTC (permalink / raw)

Klaus Berndl <klaus.berndl@sdm.de> writes:

> Yes, i know...this was the reason i have posted an announcement in
> the ECB-mailing list about the new feature in the CVS...people
> should beta-test this so i can make this feature stable for next
> production-version of ECB.  Currently I'm quite busy but i hope to
> find the time in the near future to fix currently existing bugs in
> this new feature.

Hm.  So to get the speedbar integrated into ECB, I need the devel
version?  I'm not keen on using devel versions, but it's not that
bad, either :-)
--
This line is not blank.

* Re: ECB for LaTeX?
@ 2003-05-14  9:04       ` Klaus Berndl
From: Klaus Berndl @ 2003-05-14  9:04 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Tue, 13 May 2003, Kai Großjohann wrote:

>  Klaus Berndl <klaus.berndl@sdm.de> writes:
>
> > Yes, i know...this was the reason i have posted an announcement in
> > the ECB-mailing list about the new feature in the CVS...people
> > should beta-test this so i can make this feature stable for next
> > production-version of ECB.  Currently I'm quite busy but i hope to
> > find the time in the near future to fix currently existing bugs in
> > this new feature.
>
>  Hm.  So to get the speedbar integrated into ECB, I need the devel
>  version?  I'm not keen on using devel versions, but it's not that
>  bad, either :-)

If you want speedbar fully integrated into ECB *NOW* then your only chance is
to get over your aversion against devel-versions but if you can wait some days
then there is a good chance further on avoiding devel-versions like the devil
the holy water but instead using next production version 1.94 of ECB :-)

Ciao,
Klaus

From: Klaus Berndl @ 2003-05-14  9:04 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Tue, 13 May 2003, Martin Stemplinger wrote:

>  On Di Mai 13 2003 at 18:19, Klaus Berndl <klaus.berndl@sdm.de> wrote:
>
> > You can mail me if you are interested in testing the new feature
> > (parsing/displaying non-semantic-contents like TeX, LaTeX, perl...
> >

>  What about support for XML?

When speedbar is able to display contents of XML then ECB will autom. too!

Ciao
Klaus

--

@ 2003-05-14 19:23         ` Kai Großjohann
From: Kai Großjohann @ 2003-05-14 19:23 UTC (permalink / raw)

Klaus Berndl <klaus.berndl@sdm.de> writes:

> If you want speedbar fully integrated into ECB *NOW* then your only chance is
> to get over your aversion against devel-versions but if you can wait some days
> then there is a good chance further on avoiding devel-versions like the devil
> the holy water but instead using next production version 1.94 of ECB :-)

Okay, okay.  I think "aversion" is too strong a word, but I'll wait a
bit anyway.

Thanks for the info!  And even more thanks for ECB.
--
This line is not blank.

* Re: ECB for LaTeX?
@ 2003-05-15 19:16           ` Martin Stemplinger
From: Martin Stemplinger @ 2003-05-15 19:16 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Mi Mai 14 2003 at 11:04, Klaus Berndl <klaus.berndl@sdm.de> wrote:

> When speedbar is able to display contents of XML then ECB will autom. too!

Has anyone taught speedbar to display XML yet?

Cheers
Martin

* Re: ECB for LaTeX?
@ 2003-05-26  7:21 ` Kai Großjohann
From: Kai Großjohann @ 2003-05-26  7:21 UTC (permalink / raw)

kai.grossjohann@gmx.net (Kai Großjohann) writes:

> I'm wondering if ECB would be of any help for composing LaTeX
> documents.  Opinions?

I've learned that ECB can integrate the speedbar.  That's nice.  But
I think I prefer to have the directories and the methods for the
current file in different windows.

So is there a way to get that?

Maybe ECB could use imenu if it doesn't know how to parse the current
buffer.

Or maybe even RefTeX?  That would be cool because RefTeX shows me the
table of contents of the whole document, instead of just the current
file.  (Did I say I didn't want the methods in the same window as the
files?  Oh, err, hm, uh...)
--
This line is not blank.

* Re: ECB for LaTeX?
@ 2003-05-26 15:07   ` Stefan Monnier
From: Stefan Monnier @ 2003-05-26 15:07 UTC (permalink / raw)

> Maybe ECB could use imenu if it doesn't know how to parse the current
> buffer.

Doesn't Speedbar do that ?

> Or maybe even RefTeX?

That would be sweet,

* Re: ECB for LaTeX?
@ 2003-05-28  9:14     ` Kai Großjohann
From: Kai Großjohann @ 2003-05-28  9:14 UTC (permalink / raw)

"Stefan Monnier" <monnier+gnu.emacs.help/news/@flint.cs.yale.edu> writes:

>> Maybe ECB could use imenu if it doesn't know how to parse the current
>> buffer.
>
> Doesn't Speedbar do that ?

Yes, but the speedbar integration in ECB leads to a single window
showing both directories and files and tags in a file.

But, as I said, I prefer the layout with two windows, one for the
directory display, and one for the tags in the current file.

At least, I'd like to try this kind of layout.

>> Or maybe even RefTeX?
>
> That would be sweet,

8-)

Even though it would be kinda against the multi-window layout, since
reftex shows several files at the same time.  But OTOH, reftex
doesn't show file boundaries.
--
This line is not blank.

* Re: ECB for LaTeX?
@ 2003-05-28 11:13       ` Asmund Ostvold
From: Asmund Ostvold @ 2003-05-28 11:13 UTC (permalink / raw)

I do not totally understand your discussion so you have to excuse me
if I my comment misses.

[ Kai Großjohann ]

> But OTOH, reftex doesn't show file boundaries.

reftex has the F option that say "[F]ile borders".

Åsmund

* Re: ECB for LaTeX?
@ 2003-05-28 16:48         ` Kai Großjohann
From: Kai Großjohann @ 2003-05-28 16:48 UTC (permalink / raw)

Asmund Ostvold <asmundo@tihlde.org> writes:

> [ Kai Großjohann ]
>
>> But OTOH, reftex doesn't show file boundaries.
>
> reftex has the F option that say "[F]ile borders".

Nifty.  Thanks!
--
This line is not blank.

* Re: ECB for LaTeX?
@ 2003-06-10 11:30   ` Klaus Berndl
From: Klaus Berndl @ 2003-06-10 11:30 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Mon, 26 May 2003, Kai Großjohann wrote:

>  kai.grossjohann@gmx.net (Kai Großjohann) writes:
>
> > I'm wondering if ECB would be of any help for composing LaTeX
> > documents.  Opinions?
>
>  I've learned that ECB can integrate the speedbar.  That's nice.  But
>  I think I prefer to have the directories and the methods for the
>  current file in different windows.
>
>  So is there a way to get that?

Not currently but with the next version. The next forthcoming version of ECB
has two new features:

1. Integrating speedbar not only as replacement for the directories buffer
   (like in latest production release 1.93) but possibility to display
   speedbar in any of the special windows of ECB. So you can use the default
   directories buffer of ECB plus the speedbar as replacement of the default
   methods-token-buffer of ECB ==> You display directoires and methods/tokens
   in different windows.

2. Builtin (i.e. without speedbar) parsing and displaying methods/tokens of
   file-types not supported by semantic but supported be imenu and etags ==>
   Displaying contents of TaTeX, TeX, perl etc. etc. in the ECB-methods
   buffer.

Most of the code is already in CVS but ont 100% ready for production release.

>  Maybe ECB could use imenu if it doesn't know how to parse the current
>  buffer.

See above...

>  Or maybe even RefTeX?  That would be cool because RefTeX shows me the
>  table of contents of the whole document, instead of just the current
>  file.  (Did I say I didn't want the methods in the same window as the
>  files?  Oh, err, hm, uh...)

Currently there are no plans to display RefTeX contents in the native
ECB-methods-buffer. But maybe the original reftex-buffer can be integrated in
an ECB-layout. The layout engine of ECB is so flexible to integrate arbitrary
buffers into an layout and offers also a framework to update/synch such
buffers with current displayed sources of the edit-buffer of ECB. But this
depends also somehow on the package which should be integrated. many packages
brings their own display-engine which does all the window-management ==> these
packages can be integrated into ECB only very hard if even possible.... I do
not know internals of reftex but if reftex offers to use its contents buffer
so it can be displayed in any dedicated window and if reftex offers to switch
off the reftex-builtin window-management (displaying and hiding the
reftex-window) it should not to be hard to integrate reftex into an ECB-layout
with the already builtin ECB-integration-framework...This should be possible
also with current ECB release 1.93...

Ciao
Klaus

--

@ 2003-06-10 13:51     ` Stefan Monnier
From: Stefan Monnier @ 2003-06-10 13:51 UTC (permalink / raw)

> 1. Integrating speedbar not only as replacement for the directories buffer
>    (like in latest production release 1.93) but possibility to display
>    speedbar in any of the special windows of ECB. So you can use the default
>    directories buffer of ECB plus the speedbar as replacement of the default
>    methods-token-buffer of ECB ==> You display directoires and methods/tokens
>    in different windows.

Do I understand correctly that there can only be one speedbar buffer ?
Why not get rid of that restriction ?

> 2. Builtin (i.e. without speedbar) parsing and displaying methods/tokens of
>    file-types not supported by semantic but supported be imenu and etags ==>
>    Displaying contents of TaTeX, TeX, perl etc. etc. in the ECB-methods
>    buffer.

Isn't that just re-implementing what speedbar already does ?
What am I missing ?

* Re: ECB for LaTeX?
@ 2003-06-10 14:17       ` Eric Ludlam
From: Eric Ludlam @ 2003-06-10 14:17 UTC (permalink / raw)

>>> "Stefan Monnier" <monnier+gnu.emacs.help/news/@flint.cs.yale.edu> seems to think that:
>> 1. Integrating speedbar not only as replacement for the directories buffer
>>    (like in latest production release 1.93) but possibility to display
>>    speedbar in any of the special windows of ECB. So you can use the default
>>    directories buffer of ECB plus the speedbar as replacement of the default
>>    methods-token-buffer of ECB ==> You display directoires and methods/tokens
>>    in different windows.
>
>Do I understand correctly that there can only be one speedbar buffer ?
>Why not get rid of that restriction ?

The seeming "1 speedbar" restriction is because it is "active",
meaning it tries to show you useful things based on the cursor focus.
Since there is one cursor focus, there is one speedbar.

You can lock down a view by choosing "detach" from the speedbar menu
(mouse-3), after which you can create a new speedbar, leaving the
original one lying about.

Unfortunately, it isn't as robust as it could be. :(

Eric

* Re: ECB for LaTeX?
@ 2003-06-10 14:27         ` Stefan Monnier
From: Stefan Monnier @ 2003-06-10 14:27 UTC (permalink / raw)

> You can lock down a view by choosing "detach" from the speedbar menu
> (mouse-3), after which you can create a new speedbar, leaving the
> original one lying about.

That's the kind of thing I was imagining.  So, since it's already
implemented
why does ECB re-implement something similar rather than use that code ?
Or is it not similar ?

* Re: ECB for LaTeX?
@ 2003-06-10 14:36       ` Klaus Berndl
From: Klaus Berndl @ 2003-06-10 14:36 UTC (permalink / raw)

On 10 Jun 2003, Stefan Monnier wrote:

> > 1. Integrating speedbar not only as replacement for the directories buffer
> >    (like in latest production release 1.93) but possibility to display
> >    speedbar in any of the special windows of ECB. So you can use the
> >    default directories buffer of ECB plus the speedbar as replacement of
> >    the default methods-token-buffer of ECB ==> You display directoires and
> >    methods/tokens in different windows.
>
>  Do I understand correctly that there can only be one speedbar buffer ?
>  Why not get rid of that restriction ?

See Eric's answer...

> > 2. Builtin (i.e. without speedbar) parsing and displaying methods/tokens
> >    of file-types not supported by semantic but supported be imenu and
> >    etags ==> Displaying contents of TaTeX, TeX, perl etc. etc. in the
> >    ECB-methods buffer.
>
>  Isn't that just re-implementing what speedbar already does ?
>  What am I missing ?

You are right, you are nothing missing...at least not much but maybe something
important: ECB is a complete other approach to display browsable things (like
directories, files and file-contents) than speedbar: Speedbar displays all
stuff in one buffer in an extra frame, whereas ECB displays all things in
different windows integrated with the source-buffer in *one* frame.

But there are people who like the speedbar-way of displaying things like
directories, files or/and file-contents but dislike the one-frame-approach of
ECB too. To satisfy these ones ECB can now integrate the speedbar buffer into
one of it's special dedicated windows.

Concerning displaying stuff like LaTeX etc (all file-types supported by imenu
and etags but not by semantic) you are right...here ECB steals the speedbar
implementation because it works great and is well tested. ECB could use either
the speedbar code itself (but this brings another dependence to speedbar
internals i dislike) or re-implement the few parts of the speedbar-code needed
for this. I have decided to go the latter approach because then ECB is
independed from speedbar internals and if these are changed....

Ciao,
Klaus

--

@ 2003-06-10 15:09         ` Stefan Monnier
From: Stefan Monnier @ 2003-06-10 15:09 UTC (permalink / raw)

> Concerning displaying stuff like LaTeX etc (all file-types supported by
> imenu and etags but not by semantic) you are right...here ECB steals the
> speedbar implementation because it works great and is well tested.

Ah, so it doesn't reinvent the wheel, I misunderstood.  Good.

> ECB could use either the speedbar code itself (but this brings
> another dependence to speedbar internals i dislike) or re-implement the
> few parts of the speedbar-code needed for this.

Why not cooperate with Eric to make those internals less internal ?

> I have decided to go the latter approach because then ECB is independent
> from speedbar internals and if these are changed....

yes... ?  if these are changed...what ?  You mean you'd rather not benefit
from the enhancements brought by those changes ?  I don't understand.

* Re: ECB for LaTeX?
@ 2003-06-11  8:03           ` Klaus Berndl
From: Klaus Berndl @ 2003-06-11  8:03 UTC (permalink / raw)

On 10 Jun 2003, Stefan Monnier wrote:

> > Concerning displaying stuff like LaTeX etc (all file-types supported by
> > imenu and etags but not by semantic) you are right...here ECB steals the
> > speedbar implementation because it works great and is well tested.
>
>  Ah, so it doesn't reinvent the wheel, I misunderstood.  Good.

Puhhh :-)

> > ECB could use either the speedbar code itself (but this brings
> > another dependence to speedbar internals i dislike) or re-implement the
> > few parts of the speedbar-code needed for this.
>
>  Why not cooperate with Eric to make those internals less internal ?

Yes, good idea... let us see what Eric means... for myself i would second this.

> > I have decided to go the latter approach because then ECB is independent
> > from speedbar internals and if these are changed....
>
>  yes... ?  if these are changed...what ?  You mean you'd rather not benefit
>  from the enhancements brought by those changes ?  I don't understand.

The other side... ECB can only display tokens in its method-buffer if the
tokens are semantic-token, i.h. they must offer the semantic-API to get the
informations to display. speedbar on the other side has well working and well
tested code to use imenu and etags to parse files. But then speedbar displays
these imenu and etags tokens in it's own proprietary display engine.

Conclusion: ECB uses the speedbar code for generating imenu- and etags tokens
but then ECB has to transform these tokens itself into the semantic-format.

Now if Eric changes the internal format of the tokens speedbar gets with imenu
and etags and if ECB uses this internal code then probably the
ECB-transformation-engine (transforming to semantic-format) will be broken.

Is this more understandable?

But maybe Eric could extract the imenu and etags code from speedbar, put on
top a well defined API and make it therefore less internal...then ECB can
completely be based on this code.

Ciao,
Klaus

--

@ 2003-06-11 14:47             ` Eric Ludlam
From: Eric Ludlam @ 2003-06-11 14:47 UTC (permalink / raw)

>>> Klaus Berndl <klaus.berndl@sdm.de> seems to think that:
>>
>> > I have decided to go the latter approach because then ECB is independent
>> > from speedbar internals and if these are changed....
>>
>>  yes... ?  if these are changed...what ?  You mean you'd rather not benefit
>>  from the enhancements brought by those changes ?  I don't understand.
>
>The other side... ECB can only display tokens in its method-buffer if the
>tokens are semantic-token, i.h. they must offer the semantic-API to get the
>informations to display. speedbar on the other side has well working and well
>tested code to use imenu and etags to parse files. But then speedbar displays
>these imenu and etags tokens in it's own proprietary display engine.
>
>Conclusion: ECB uses the speedbar code for generating imenu- and etags tokens
>but then ECB has to transform these tokens itself into the semantic-format.
>
>Now if Eric changes the internal format of the tokens speedbar gets with imenu
>and etags and if ECB uses this internal code then probably the
>ECB-transformation-engine (transforming to semantic-format) will be broken.
>
>Is this more understandable?
>
>But maybe Eric could extract the imenu and etags code from speedbar, put on
>top a well defined API and make it therefore less internal...then ECB can
>completely be based on this code.

The mechanism speedbar uses for gathering tags to display is not
secret or internal.  It is documented (perhaps no too well) and public
so that it is easy to write new tag generators.

If you start with `speedbar-dynamic-tags-function-list', you will see
some doc on how to add more taggers that sb-texinfo uses this to
create a new custom tag generator for hierarchical tag list as opposed
to the flat sorted list created by imenu.

The only problem is that when you add to the list, you also provide a
function that will display those tags in speedbar, but most always use
`speedbar-insert-generic-list' which is a pretty simple translator.
Only the semantic speedbar support does something special, and ECB
already has that one covered. ;)

Eric