* Tramp using plink - password not recognized
@ 2002-09-10 16:31 andrew
From: andrew @ 2002-09-10 16:31 UTC (permalink / raw)

I'm having some problems getting connected using Tramp 2.0.15 and
plink.

I'm running  the windows port of emacs version 21.2.1 under win 2k

Below is the output from the debug buffer.

I can get plink to work in a command window  but  when I try through
emacs, I am prompted for the password 4 times  before the connection
process fails

Looking up host "99.99.999.999"
Connecting to 99.99.999.999 port 22
Server version: SSH-2.0-2.3.1 F-SECURE SSH
We claim version: SSH-2.0-PuTTY-Release-0.52
Using SSH protocol version 2
Doing Diffie-Hellman key exchange
Host key fingerprint is:
ssh-dss 1024 56:0d:58:a6:fb:7c:af:10:a3:7e:56:3f:72:b5:71:84
oracle@99.99.999.999's password:

No supported authentication methods left to try!
No supported authentications offered. Disconnecting
Remote process exit code unavailable

I had slightly better luck with an older version of tramp in that  the
password was accepted but  the remote login script  then prompted for
input of a variable which caused some problems - that is when I
switched to the latest version of tramp which gives me the results
mentioned above.

Any help appreciated

Thankyou

* Re: Tramp using plink - password not recognized
@ 2002-09-10 17:34 ` Kai Großjohann
From: Kai Großjohann @ 2002-09-10 17:34 UTC (permalink / raw)

calbloke@yahoo.com (andrew) writes:

> I can get plink to work in a command window  but  when I try through
> emacs, I am prompted for the password 4 times  before the connection
> process fails

I think that's because plink requires you to send \r\n after the
password, but \n (without \r) after subsequent commands.  The CVS
version of Tramp already includes this modification.

Do you want to be my guinea pig to test it?

I already have another guinea pig, but there there are other
problems...

kai

* Re: Tramp using plink - password not recognized
@ 2002-09-10 17:50   ` Kai Großjohann
From: Kai Großjohann @ 2002-09-10 17:50 UTC (permalink / raw)

> Do you want to be my guinea pig to test it?

Maybe I should add that I don't have Windows to test Tramp with, so
while I'm willing to work on it it's kind of difficult.

kai

* RE: Tramp using plink - password not recognized
@ 2002-09-10 18:11   ` Andrew  Platts
From: Andrew  Platts @ 2002-09-10 18:11 UTC (permalink / raw)

Certainly - I'll be a guinea pig - where do I get the CVS version ?

       [not found] <mailman.1031681588.10704.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
@ 2002-09-10 20:44 ` Kai Großjohann
From: Kai Großjohann @ 2002-09-10 20:44 UTC (permalink / raw)

"Andrew  Platts" <calbloke@yahoo.com> writes:

> Certainly - I'll be a guinea pig - where do I get the CVS version ?

http://savannah.gnu.org/projects/tramp is the entry point.  CVS
instructions are there.

Please direct your messages to the Tramp-Devel list.

Thanks!

kai

* RE: Tramp using plink - password not recognized
@ 2002-09-12  3:16     ` Andrew Platts
From: Andrew Platts @ 2002-09-12  3:16 UTC (permalink / raw)

Kai,

thanks for this. I tried the CVS version at
http://savannah.gnu.org/projects/tramp

and set
tramp-password-end-of-line = "\r\n" and this sovled my
problem.

Thanks Again

--- Andrew  Platts <calbloke@yahoo.com> wrote:
> Certainly - I'll be a guinea pig - where do I get
> the CVS version ?

Yahoo! News - Today's headlines
http://news.yahoo.com

* Re: Tramp using plink - password not recognized
       [not found] <mailman.1031800633.18229.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
@ 2002-09-12 10:52 ` Kai Großjohann
From: Kai Großjohann @ 2002-09-12 10:52 UTC (permalink / raw)

Andrew Platts <calbloke@yahoo.com> writes:

> thanks for this. I tried the CVS version at
> http://savannah.gnu.org/projects/tramp
>
> and set
> tramp-password-end-of-line = "\r\n" and this sovled my
> problem.

Great.  Now I've already got two reports from people using Tramp on
Windows with plink who say that this works.

Maybe it's a good idea to make the default value of
tramp-password-end-of-line correct in that case.

I wonder whether "\r\n" is the right value for all people using
Windows, or just those who use plink?

kai
--
~/.signature is: umop 3p!sdn    (Frank Nobis)

* Re: Tramp using plink - password not recognized
@ 2002-09-12 19:58   ` maierh
From: maierh @ 2002-09-12 19:58 UTC (permalink / raw)

> Great.  Now I've already got two reports from people using Tramp on
> Windows with plink who say that this works.
>
> Maybe it's a good idea to make the default value of
> tramp-password-end-of-line correct in that case.

The current cvs version with the '-t -t' for sshx and scpx works too
out of the box together with cygwin and emacs-21.2.

Harald

* Re: Tramp using plink - password not recognized
@ 2002-09-13 11:47     ` Kai Großjohann
From: Kai Großjohann @ 2002-09-13 11:47 UTC (permalink / raw)

maierh@myself.com writes:

> The current cvs version with the '-t -t' for sshx and scpx works too
> out of the box together with cygwin and emacs-21.2.

That's good to know.  Can you try to reorder tramp-coding-commands so
that it tries uuencode instead of base64 encoding?  It seems to be
difficult to get uuencode working right under Windows.

kai
--
~/.signature is: umop 3p!sdn    (Frank Nobis)