* Can GNUS inform me when I have unread news?
@ 2004-06-23  6:47 Mathias Dahl
From: Mathias Dahl @ 2004-06-23  6:47 UTC (permalink / raw)

I've just recently started to use GNUS and I wonder if there
is a way to make GNUS inform we when there are new articles
to read. That is, without me needing to press "g" to update
the group buffer. I took a quick look in the index of the
manual and tried to search for words like "time", "update",
"interval" but did not find anything interesting.

/Mathias

* Re: Can GNUS inform me when I have unread news?
@ 2004-06-23 11:23 ` Steinar Børmer
From: Steinar Børmer @ 2004-06-23 11:23 UTC (permalink / raw)

Mathias Dahl wrote:

| I've just recently started to use GNUS and I wonder if there is a
| way to make GNUS inform we when there are new articles to read. That
| is, without me needing to press "g" to update the group buffer. I
| took a quick look in the index of the manual and tried to search for
| words like "time", "update", "interval" but did not find anything
| interesting.

Try this:

(setq gnus-use-demon t)                 ; Use some daemonic routines
(gnus-demon-add-handler                 ; Scan for mail in the background
 'gnus-demon-scan-mail-ps 5 1)
(gnus-demon-add-handler                 ; Scan for news in the background
 'gnus-demon-scan-news 5 1)

--
SB

I am so smart, so smart - s-m-r-t!  I mean, s-m-A-r-t!
	         			- Homer Simpson

* Re: Can GNUS inform me when I have unread news?
@ 2004-06-23 13:32   ` Mathias Dahl
From: Mathias Dahl @ 2004-06-23 13:32 UTC (permalink / raw)

s1726@ii.uib.no (Steinar Børmer) writes:

> Mathias Dahl wrote:
>
> | I've just recently started to use GNUS and I wonder if there is a
> | way to make GNUS inform we when there are new articles to read. That
> | is, without me needing to press "g" to update the group buffer. I
> | took a quick look in the index of the manual and tried to search for
> | words like "time", "update", "interval" but did not find anything
> | interesting.
>
> Try this:
>
> (setq gnus-use-demon t)                 ; Use some daemonic routines
> (gnus-demon-add-handler                 ; Scan for mail in the background
>  'gnus-demon-scan-mail-ps 5 1)
> (gnus-demon-add-handler                 ; Scan for news in the background
>  'gnus-demon-scan-news 5 1)

This worked like a charm for me:

 (setq gnus-use-demon t)                 ; Use some daemonic routines
 (gnus-demon-add-handler                 ; Scan for news in the background
  'gnus-demon-scan-news 5 1)

Thanks!

@ 2004-06-23 15:54   ` Marcus Frings
From: Marcus Frings @ 2004-06-23 15:54 UTC (permalink / raw)

* s1726@ii.uib.no (Steinar Børmer) wrote:
> Mathias Dahl wrote:

> | I've just recently started to use GNUS and I wonder if there is a
> | way to make GNUS inform we when there are new articles to read. That
> | is, without me needing to press "g" to update the group buffer. I
> | took a quick look in the index of the manual and tried to search for
> | words like "time", "update", "interval" but did not find anything
> | interesting.

> (setq gnus-use-demon t)                 ; Use some daemonic routines

Does not exist.

> (gnus-demon-add-handler                 ; Scan for mail in the background
>  'gnus-demon-scan-mail-ps 5 1)
> (gnus-demon-add-handler                 ; Scan for news in the background
>  'gnus-demon-scan-news 5 1)

<http://my.gnus.org/node/view/302>

Regards,
Marcus
--
"Thank you, you have saved us all some effort, by destroying the greater part
of earth civilization yourself. Please wait where you are, and a cortex reaver

* Re: Can GNUS inform me when I have unread news?
@ 2004-06-24 12:50     ` Reiner Steib
From: Reiner Steib @ 2004-06-24 12:50 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Wed, Jun 23 2004, Marcus Frings wrote:

[...]
> <http://my.gnus.org/node/view/302>

,----[ http://my.gnus.org/node/view/302 ]
| (defun gnus-demon-scan-mail ()
|   (when (and (gnus-alive-p) mail-here)
|                             ^^^^^^^^^
`----

What is `mail-here'?

Bye, Reiner.
--
       ,,,
      (o o)

* Re: Can GNUS inform me when I have unread news?
@ 2004-06-25  8:31     ` Steinar Børmer
From: Steinar Børmer @ 2004-06-25  8:31 UTC (permalink / raw)

Marcus Frings wrote:

| * s1726@ii.uib.no (Steinar Børmer) wrote:
|
| > (setq gnus-use-demon t)                 ; Use some daemonic routines
|
| Does not exist.

It seems you're right.  This has probably been yanked from someone's
.gnus years ago.  =)

| > (gnus-demon-add-handler                 ; Scan for mail in the background
| >  'gnus-demon-scan-mail-ps 5 1)
| > (gnus-demon-add-handler                 ; Scan for news in the background
| >  'gnus-demon-scan-news 5 1)
|
| <http://my.gnus.org/node/view/302>

Well, gnus-demon-scan-mail-ps and gnus-demon-scan-news are defined in
gnus-demon.el.  Is there something wrong with them?  I haven't had
time to look them through, but it works for me.

--

@ 2004-06-25 13:07       ` Marcus Frings
From: Marcus Frings @ 2004-06-25 13:07 UTC (permalink / raw)

* s1726@ii.uib.no (Steinar Børmer) wrote:
> Marcus Frings wrote:
> | * s1726@ii.uib.no (Steinar Børmer) wrote:
> |
> | > (setq gnus-use-demon t)                 ; Use some daemonic routines
> |
> | Does not exist.

> It seems you're right.  This has probably been yanked from someone's
> .gnus years ago.  =)

Yes, I ran into the same mistake when I published the recipe on MGO
because it contains code which is not necessary.

> | > (gnus-demon-add-handler                 ; Scan for mail in the background
> | >  'gnus-demon-scan-mail-ps 5 1)
> | > (gnus-demon-add-handler                 ; Scan for news in the background
> | >  'gnus-demon-scan-news 5 1)
> |
> | <http://my.gnus.org/node/view/302>

> Well, gnus-demon-scan-mail-ps and gnus-demon-scan-news are defined in

No, gnus-demon-scan-mail-ps doesn't exist in gnus-demon.el either, at
least in my file.

> gnus-demon.el.  Is there something wrong with them?  I haven't had
> time to look them through, but it works for me.

I think the _only_ code you need to add to the your personal
configuration is

(gnus-demon-add-handler 'gnus-demon-scan-news 5 10)

because this one makes Gnus periodically check mails _and_ news.

I will delete the recipe 302 on MGO today.

Regards,
Marcus
--
"One more day like today and I'll kill you. A desire for flesh and real blood.
I'll watch you drown in the shower. Pushing my life through your open eyes.

* Re: Can GNUS inform me when I have unread news?
@ 2004-06-25 13:11       ` Marcus Frings
From: Marcus Frings @ 2004-06-25 13:11 UTC (permalink / raw)

* Reiner Steib <4.uce.03.r.s@nurfuerspam.de> wrote:

> ,----[ http://my.gnus.org/node/view/302 ]
> | (defun gnus-demon-scan-mail ()
> |   (when (and (gnus-alive-p) mail-here)
> |                             ^^^^^^^^^
> `----

> What is `mail-here'?

I think I'm caught. I believe the whole recipe is quite useless because
you only have to add one line to your configuration (see my answer to
Steinar). As I wrote on MGO I found this code a long time ago somewhere
and I used it for many months without any problems. After having a
closer look at gnus-demon.el and (info "(gnus)Daemons") I think the
recipe should be deleted (which I'm going to do after this posting).

Regards,
Marcus
--
"Did you really think I would not deduce where you would run to, insect?"
                                                 (Shodan in System Shock)

* Re: Can GNUS inform me when I have unread news?
@ 2004-06-25 16:10         ` Steinar Børmer
From: Steinar Børmer @ 2004-06-25 16:10 UTC (permalink / raw)

Marcus Frings wrote:

| * s1726@ii.uib.no (Steinar Børmer) wrote:
|
| > Well, gnus-demon-scan-mail-ps and gnus-demon-scan-news are defined
| > in
|
| No, gnus-demon-scan-mail-ps doesn't exist in gnus-demon.el either,
| at least in my file.

D'oh.  I need to proofread (or drink more coffee) before I post.  I
meant gnus-demon-scan-mail.

| I think the _only_ code you need to add to the your personal
| configuration is
|
| (gnus-demon-add-handler 'gnus-demon-scan-news 5 10)

You're quite right.  Works for me.  Thanks!