* Flyspell Can't check region...
@ 2008-04-11 12:39 Sébastien Vauban
From: Sébastien Vauban @ 2008-04-11 12:39 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Hello,

(I think that) Since I installed `flyspell.el' 1.7n from:

    http://www-sop.inria.fr/mimosa/Manuel.Serrano/flyspell/flyspell.html

I often have that error message:

    Checking region...
    if: Can't check region...

while nothing happens --- my buffer doesn't get checked.

I don't have clues yet on how to reproduce this. Sorry. Is there
a way to get more info about what's going on?

Best regards,
  Seb

PS- My config is `aspell' under Ubuntu Gutsy.

--
Sébastien Vauban

* Re: Flyspell Can't check region...
@ 2008-04-11 17:01 ` Tassilo Horn
       [not found] ` <mailman.10291.1207992965.18990.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: Tassilo Horn @ 2008-04-11 17:01 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Sébastien Vauban <zthjwsqqafhv@spammotel.com> writes:

Hi Sébastien,

> I often have that error message:
>
>     Checking region...
>     if: Can't check region...
>
> while nothing happens --- my buffer doesn't get checked.

I believe this problem with Gnus is related [1].  It's caused because in
the emacs CVS trunk (functionp 'if) evales to nil now, because `if' is
no function but a special form.  That's reasonable, so flyspell's code
should be adapted accordingly.

Hope that helps,
Tassilo
__________
[1] http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/emacs-devel/2008-04/msg00455.html
--
Richard Stallman can make infinite loops end.

* Re: Flyspell Can't check region...
@ 2008-04-12  9:35 ` Reiner Steib
       [not found] ` <mailman.10291.1207992965.18990.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: Reiner Steib @ 2008-04-12  9:35 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs; +Cc: Manuel Serrano

[ The following message is a courtesy copy of an article that has
  been posted to news:gnu.emacs.help as well. ]

On Fri, Apr 11 2008, Sébastien Vauban wrote:

> (I think that) Since I installed `flyspell.el' 1.7n from:
>
>     http://www-sop.inria.fr/mimosa/Manuel.Serrano/flyspell/flyspell.html
>
> I often have that error message:
>     Checking region...
>     if: Can't check region...
> while nothing happens --- my buffer doesn't get checked.

Why don't you use the version of flyspell included in your Emacs
version?  Although the web page says "Date: Jan 2008", my impression
from glancing over the diffs is the version in Emacs CVS is more up to
date.  If not, it would be nice if the author (Manuel Serrano, cc-ed),
submits his changes to Emacs CVS as well.

Bye, Reiner.
--
       ,,,
      (o o)

@ 2008-04-15  7:54   ` Sébastien Vauban
From: Sébastien Vauban @ 2008-04-15  7:54 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Hi Tassilo, Reiner and the rest ;-)

First of all, thanks for your answers...

>>> (I think that) Since I installed `flyspell.el' 1.7n from
>>> http://www-sop.inria.fr/mimosa/Manuel.Serrano/flyspell/flyspell.html
>>> I often have that error message:
>>>     Checking region...
>>>     if: Can't check region...
>>> while nothing happens --- my buffer doesn't get checked.
>>
>> I believe this problem with Gnus is related [1]. It's caused
>> because in the emacs CVS trunk (functionp 'if) evales to nil
>> now, because `if' is no function but a special form. That's
>> reasonable, so flyspell's code should be adapted accordingly.

OK, thanks for the info.

> Why don't you use the version of flyspell included in your
> Emacs version?

Good question. "Bad" habit ;-) of trying to update all of my
locally copied packages (downloaded from Internet) from time to
time...

Why am I not relying on CVS trunk?

In fact, I'm only using pre-compiled and packaged versions:

    o   the one from Alexandre Vassalotti for Ubuntu, and
    o   the one available on ourcomments.org for Windows.

And the reasons I have some packages locally copied are that:

    o   Both Emacs versions are not always in sync' (up to some
        weeks ago, the W32 version was still Emacs 22, for
        example), having then different packages with them.

    o   Some packages are easily included in Ubuntu (via Emacs
        goodies) while they aren't in Windows.

    o   Though, the Emacs goodies packages are well a lot out of
        date (color-theme, etc.)...

Because of this, I have some locally accessible packages that I
am accessing from both Emacs (only one local copy, only one
dot-emacs file).

That being said, I dropped the latest `flyspell.el' file from my
local repository, and yes - it seems to resolve my problems...

Best regards,
  Seb