* using emavcs to generate format-flowed emails
@ 2005-05-17 19:22 Kev
From: Kev @ 2005-05-17 19:22 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi

I use pine to read/organise/send mails and emacs to compose the text parts.

I would like to be able to compose properly "format=flowed" mails, i.e
according to RFC 2646 (http://www.faqs.org/rfcs/rfc2646.html)

I dont see a really good (perfect) way to do this with emacs. I use "meta-q"
lots to re-format paragraphs after making changes. I can use "meta-x
set-hard-newlines" but that screws up my editing window (an xterm or konsole),
and does not react properly to resizing or meta-q reformatting. At least not
currently, maybe it can be made to do so?

pine itself supports viewing format=flowed well, as does pico for composition.
But I dont like pico :-)

Ideas?
Kevin

* Re: using emavcs to generate format-flowed emails
@ 2005-05-18  0:46 ` Thien-Thi Nguyen
From: Thien-Thi Nguyen @ 2005-05-18  0:46 UTC (permalink / raw)

Kev <kcf_nospam_maguire@yahoo.com> writes:

> Ideas?

looks like (from a brief skim of rfc2646) two elements distinguish a
format=fixed and a format=flowed text/plain block: (1) specification
in the mime header, and (2) addition of eol whitespace.

i'll leave (1) alone since that requires interaction between pine
and emacs and i'm not familiar w/ pine.

for (2), you can do something like:

(defun add-eol-space ()
  (interactive)
  (save-excursion
    (goto-char (point-min))
    (while (< (point) (point-max))
      (end-of-line)
      (if (or (= 0 (current-column))  ; empty line
              (looking-at "\n\\s-"))  ; bo(next)l whitespace
          (delete-horizontal-space)
        (just-one-space))
      (forward-line 1))))

this attempts to DTRT for posting code (such as this message) or
other blocks of text that should not be munged.  probably requires
some tweaking (ymmv).

thi

* Re: using emavcs to generate format-flowed emails
@ 2005-05-18  7:59 ` Reiner Steib
From: Reiner Steib @ 2005-05-18  7:59 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Tue, May 17 2005, Kev wrote:

,----
`----

Strange Reply-To header.

> I use pine to read/organise/send mails and emacs to compose the text parts.
>
> I would like to be able to compose properly "format=flowed" mails, i.e
> according to RFC 2646 (http://www.faqs.org/rfcs/rfc2646.html)
>
> I dont see a really good (perfect) way to do this with emacs.

Use an Emacs based MUA such a Gnus.  ;-)

You might be able to use the library `flow-fill.el' from Gnus to
get format=flowed text even without using Gnus.

Bye, Reiner.
--
       ,,,
      (o o)

* Re: using emavcs to generate format-flowed emails
@ 2005-05-20 15:06 ` Stefan Monnier
From: Stefan Monnier @ 2005-05-20 15:06 UTC (permalink / raw)

> lots to re-format paragraphs after making changes. I can use "M-x
> set-hard-newlines" but that screws up my editing window (an xterm or
> konsole),  and does not react properly to resizing or meta-q
> reformatting.  At least not  currently, maybe it can be made to do so?

Maybe I misunderstand, but it seems that you're describing a bug.
Try M-x report-emacs-bug RET