* How to handle overfilled mode line?
@ 2006-10-04 22:42 Tassilo Horn
From: Tassilo Horn @ 2006-10-04 22:42 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi,

my mode line is overly filled with much useful informations from
different modes like circe, emms, etc. If the buffer name is a littlebit
longer, it doesn't fit on my screen anymore.

How can I handle this? Is there a solution like a multi-line mode line,
or a mode line which scrolls like many mp3 players do?

Bye and thanks,
Tassilo
--
[Emacs] is written in Lisp, which is the only computer language that is
beautiful.  -- Neal Stephenson, _In the Beginning was the Command Line_

* Re: How to handle overfilled mode line?
@ 2006-10-05 15:18 ` rgb
From: rgb @ 2006-10-05 15:18 UTC (permalink / raw)

> my mode line is overly filled with much useful informations from
> different modes like circe, emms, etc. If the buffer name is a littlebit
> longer, it doesn't fit on my screen anymore.

24" monitors have come way down in price :-)

* Re: How to handle overfilled mode line?
@ 2006-10-05 16:15 ` robert.thorpe
From: robert.thorpe @ 2006-10-05 16:15 UTC (permalink / raw)

Tassilo Horn wrote:
> Hi,
>
> my mode line is overly filled with much useful informations from
> different modes like circe, emms, etc. If the buffer name is a littlebit
> longer, it doesn't fit on my screen anymore.
>
> How can I handle this? Is there a solution like a multi-line mode line,
> or a mode line which scrolls like many mp3 players do?

What a painful problem, I can think of no good solution.

What you can do though is try to be more careful about what minor-modes
your associating with any major modes.  Rather than starting minor
modes in a blanket fashion try hook them only to the major modes you
really need them in.

* Re: How to handle overfilled mode line?
@ 2006-10-05 16:58 ` Michaël Cadilhac
From: Michaël Cadilhac @ 2006-10-05 16:58 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: help-gnu-emacs

Tassilo Horn <heimdall@uni-koblenz.de> writes:

> If the buffer name is a littlebit longer, it doesn't fit on my
> screen anymore.

(setq mode-line-format '((-18 "%b")))

will print the current buffer name in the mode line, truncating it to
18 chars (for example).

Hope it helps.

--
/!\ My mail address changed, please update your files accordingly.
 |      Michaël `Micha' Cadilhac   |  Fenouil                               |

[-- Attachment #1.2: Type: application/pgp-signature, Size: 188 bytes --]

* Re: How to handle overfilled mode line?
@ 2006-10-05 17:15   ` Tassilo Horn
       [not found]   ` <mailman.7822.1160150374.9609.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: Tassilo Horn @ 2006-10-05 17:15 UTC (permalink / raw)

robert.thorpe@antenova.com writes:

Hi Robert,

>> How can I handle this? Is there a solution like a multi-line mode
>> line, or a mode line which scrolls like many mp3 players do?
>
> What a painful problem, I can think of no good solution.

Too bad.

> What you can do though is try to be more careful about what
> minor-modes your associating with any major modes. Rather than
> starting minor modes in a blanket fashion try hook them only to the
> major modes you really need them in.

I do so, but if the buffer name is "*followup to robert thorpe on
gnu.emacs.help*" there's not much room left anyway.

Bye,
Tassilo
--
My opinions may have changed, but not the fact that I am right.

* Re: How to handle overfilled mode line?
@ 2006-10-05 18:42     ` Chris F.A. Johnson
From: Chris F.A. Johnson @ 2006-10-05 18:42 UTC (permalink / raw)

On 2006-10-05, Tassilo Horn wrote:
> robert.thorpe@antenova.com writes:
>
> Hi Robert,
>
>>> How can I handle this? Is there a solution like a multi-line mode
>>> line, or a mode line which scrolls like many mp3 players do?
>>
>> What a painful problem, I can think of no good solution.
>
> Too bad.
>
>> What you can do though is try to be more careful about what
>> minor-modes your associating with any major modes. Rather than
>> starting minor modes in a blanket fashion try hook them only to the
>> major modes you really need them in.
>
> I do so, but if the buffer name is "*followup to robert thorpe on
> gnu.emacs.help*" there's not much room left anyway.

   Use a file name instead of a précis!

--
   Chris F.A. Johnson                      <http://cfaj.freeshell.org>
   Author:

* Re: How to handle overfilled mode line?
@ 2006-10-05 19:08       ` Tassilo Horn
From: Tassilo Horn @ 2006-10-05 19:08 UTC (permalink / raw)

"Chris F.A. Johnson" <cfajohnson@gmail.com> writes:

Hi Chris,

>    Use a file name instead of a précis!

What's a "précis"?

Bye,
Tassilo
--
          "Emacs is not a development tool but a way of life."
                - David Kastrup in alt.religion.emacs -

* Re: How to handle overfilled mode line?
@ 2006-10-05 19:50         ` Pascal Bourguignon
From: Pascal Bourguignon @ 2006-10-05 19:50 UTC (permalink / raw)

Tassilo Horn <heimdall@uni-koblenz.de> writes:

> "Chris F.A. Johnson" <cfajohnson@gmail.com> writes:
>
> Hi Chris,
>
>>    Use a file name instead of a précis!
>
> What's a "précis"?

That's a précis, with a bad encoding.

IMPORTANT NOTICE TO PURCHASERS: The entire physical universe,
including this product, may one day collapse back into an
infinitesimally small space. Should another universe subsequently
re-emerge, the existence of this product in that universe cannot be
guaranteed.

* Re: How to handle overfilled mode line?
@ 2006-10-05 22:16     ` Reiner Steib
From: Reiner Steib @ 2006-10-05 22:16 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Thu, Oct 05 2006, Tassilo Horn wrote:

>>> How can I handle this? Is there a solution like a multi-line mode
>>> line, or a mode line which scrolls like many mp3 players do?

Scrolling would be terribly, YMMV.

> I do so, but if the buffer name is "*followup to robert thorpe on
> gnu.emacs.help*" there's not much room left anyway.

Write a version of `message-buffer-name' that uses a customizable
format string.  You may look at
`message-insert-formated-citation-line' (Gnus CVS trunk) to get some
ideas.

Bye, Reiner.
--
       ,,,
      (o o)

* Re: How to handle overfilled mode line?
@ 2006-10-06 12:13       ` Tassilo Horn
       [not found]         ` <mailman.7811.1160142023.9609.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: Tassilo Horn @ 2006-10-06 12:13 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi Reiner,

> Scrolling would be terribly, YMMV.

Well, ok. Scrolling is not the best idea. It should be able to use
multiple lines and wrap arround automatically, if the user wants.

>> I do so, but if the buffer name is "*followup to robert thorpe on
>> gnu.emacs.help*" there's not much room left anyway.
>
> Write a version of `message-buffer-name' that uses a customizable
> format string.

I like long self-explanatory buffer names. And even if I cut down buffer
names to 10 chars it would still be inconvenient. The contents shouldn't
adapt to the mode line, it should be the other way round.

Bye,
Tassilo
--
A child of five could understand this! Fetch me a child of five!

* Re: How to handle overfilled mode line?
@ 2006-10-06 13:39         ` Kim F. Storm
       [not found]         ` <mailman.7811.1160142023.9609.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: Kim F. Storm @ 2006-10-06 13:39 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: help-gnu-emacs

>> Scrolling would be terribly, YMMV.
>
> Well, ok. Scrolling is not the best idea. It should be able to use
> multiple lines and wrap arround automatically, if the user wants.

I don't think the mode line will ever span more than one line!!

On a graphical display, you can customize the "mode-line" face to use
a proportional font (e.g. helvetica) -- that typically gives you twice
the number of chars on the mode line.

--
Kim F. Storm  http://www.cua.dk

@ 2006-10-06 14:17           ` Tassilo Horn
From: Tassilo Horn @ 2006-10-06 14:17 UTC (permalink / raw)

no-spam@cua.dk (Kim F. Storm) writes:

Hi Kim,

> I don't think the mode line will ever span more than one line!!

Why not?

> On a graphical display, you can customize the "mode-line" face to use
> a proportional font (e.g. helvetica) -- that typically gives you twice
> the number of chars on the mode line.

Good advice, thank you.

Regards,
Tassilo
--
A morning without coffee is like something without something else.

* Re: How to handle overfilled mode line?
@ 2006-10-06 15:57   ` Kevin Rodgers
       [not found]   ` <mailman.7822.1160150374.9609.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: Kevin Rodgers @ 2006-10-06 15:57 UTC (permalink / raw)

robert.thorpe@antenova.com wrote:
> Tassilo Horn wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> my mode line is overly filled with much useful informations from
>> different modes like circe, emms, etc. If the buffer name is a littlebit
>> longer, it doesn't fit on my screen anymore.
>>
>> How can I handle this? Is there a solution like a multi-line mode line,
>> or a mode line which scrolls like many mp3 players do?
>
> What a painful problem, I can think of no good solution.

How about writing a command to temporarily display the entire mode line,
using something like

(tooltip-show (format-mode-line mode-line-format t))

or

(message-box "%s" (format-mode-line mode-line-format t))

Ideally it would preserve the mode line face, though.

--
Kevin

@ 2006-10-06 18:49     ` Tassilo Horn
From: Tassilo Horn @ 2006-10-06 18:49 UTC (permalink / raw)

Kevin Rodgers <ihs_4664@yahoo.com> writes:

Hi Kevin,

> How about writing a command to temporarily display the entire mode
> line, using something like
>
> (tooltip-show (format-mode-line mode-line-format t))

That's at least a good workarround.

Bye and thanks,
Tassilo
--
A morning without coffee is like something without something else.