* How can I turn on abbrev mode by default?
@ 2003-10-16 19:11 Dan Anderson
From: Dan Anderson @ 2003-10-16 19:11 UTC (permalink / raw)

Is it possible to turn on abbrev mode by default whenever I go into
cperl-mode.  i.e. whenever I do:

M-x cperl-mode (or emacs does it when I open a perl file)

Emacs knows to:
M-x abbrev-mode

THanks in advance,

Dan

* Re: How can I turn on abbrev mode by default?
       [not found] <mailman.1828.1066331526.21628.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
@ 2003-10-16 21:31 ` Micah Cowan
       [not found]   ` <mailman.1838.1066347910.21628.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: Micah Cowan @ 2003-10-16 21:31 UTC (permalink / raw)

Dan Anderson <dan@mathjunkies.com> writes:

> Is it possible to turn on abbrev mode by default whenever I go into
> cperl-mode.  i.e. whenever I do:
>
> M-x cperl-mode (or emacs does it when I open a perl file)
>
> Emacs knows to:
> M-x abbrev-mode

Go to the customization for cperl-mode-hook by doing:

  M-x customize-option RET cperl-mode-hook

Then click on INS and type into the field:

  abbrev-mode

And go save your setting. That's it!

HTH,
Micah

* Re: How can I turn on abbrev mode by default?
@ 2003-10-16 23:44   ` Dan Anderson
       [not found]     ` <mailman.1914.1066445255.21628.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
       [not found]   ` <mailman.1838.1066347910.21628.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: Dan Anderson @ 2003-10-16 23:44 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: help-gnu-emacs

> Go to the customization for cperl-mode-hook by doing:
>
>   M-x customize-option RET cperl-mode-hook
>
> Then click on INS and type into the field:
>
>   abbrev-mode

When I do that it tells me "No match".  CPerlmode is installed in my
.emacs.d/lisp directory.  Could this be the problem?

@ 2003-10-17  7:18     ` Micah Cowan
From: Micah Cowan @ 2003-10-17  7:18 UTC (permalink / raw)

Dan Anderson <dan@mathjunkies.com> writes:

> > Go to the customization for cperl-mode-hook by doing:
> >
> >   M-x customize-option RET cperl-mode-hook
> >
> > Then click on INS and type into the field:
> >
> >   abbrev-mode
>
> When I do that it tells me "No match".  CPerlmode is installed in my
> .emacs.d/lisp directory.  Could this be the problem?

Hm. Try adding

 (load "cperl-mode")

near the top of your .emacs (assuming .emacs.d is in your
load-path), and evaluate it. Does that help?

-Micah

* Re: How can I turn on abbrev mode by default?
@ 2003-10-18 19:57     ` jan
       [not found]     ` <mailman.1914.1066445255.21628.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: jan @ 2003-10-18 19:57 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: help-gnu-emacs

Dan Anderson <dan@mathjunkies.com> writes:

> > Go to the customization for cperl-mode-hook by doing:
> >
> >   M-x customize-option RET cperl-mode-hook
> >
> > Then click on INS and type into the field:
> >
> >   abbrev-mode
>
> When I do that it tells me "No match".  CPerlmode is installed in my
> .emacs.d/lisp directory.  Could this be the problem?

Another approach is to just add this to your .emacs file.

(add-hook 'hack-local-variables-hook
	  #'(lambda ()
	      (when (eq major-mode 'cperl-mode)
		(abbrev-mode 1))))

But why not turn it on all the time. Abbrevs are mode sensitive
anyway. It's even simpler too.

(add-hook 'hack-local-variables-hook
	  #'(lambda () (abbrev-mode 1)))

--
jan

@ 2003-10-19  8:47       ` Micah Cowan
From: Micah Cowan @ 2003-10-19  8:47 UTC (permalink / raw)

jan <janmar@iprimus.com.au> writes:

> Dan Anderson <dan@mathjunkies.com> writes:
>
> > > Go to the customization for cperl-mode-hook by doing:
> > >
> > >   M-x customize-option RET cperl-mode-hook
> > >
> > > Then click on INS and type into the field:
> > >
> > >   abbrev-mode
> >
> > When I do that it tells me "No match".  CPerlmode is installed in my
> > .emacs.d/lisp directory.  Could this be the problem?
>
> Another approach is to just add this to your .emacs file.
>
> (add-hook 'hack-local-variables-hook
> 	  #'(lambda ()
> 	      (when (eq major-mode 'cperl-mode)
> 		(abbrev-mode 1))))

It seems more appropriate to do

  (add-hook 'cperl-mode-hook 'abbrev-mode)

or maybe

  (add-hook 'cperl-mode-hook #'(lambda () (abbrev-mode 1)))

> But why not turn it on all the time. Abbrevs are mode sensitive
> anyway. It's even simpler too.
>
> (add-hook 'hack-local-variables-hook
> 	  #'(lambda () (abbrev-mode 1)))

If that's truly what you want... This seems too much like a
shotgun-approach to me, tho': if you find yourself using it in
most of your modes, then maybe having an alist of modes to
either enable or disable it in might be slightly better...

Just my 2¢
-Micah