* Re: winows emacs - portable app
@ 2006-04-19 12:10 Ryan Moszynski
From: Ryan Moszynski @ 2006-04-19 12:10 UTC (permalink / raw)

> Emacs will automatically load site-lisp/site-start.el before your
> .emacs, so you can change user-init-file there.

i dont have a
C:\emacs\emacs-21.3\site-lisp\site-start.el

file.  the only file in
C:\emacs\emacs-21.3\site-lisp\

is
subdirs.el

* Re: winows emacs - portable app
@ 2006-04-19 17:47 Ryan Moszynski
From: Ryan Moszynski @ 2006-04-19 17:47 UTC (permalink / raw)

darn, ran into a major problem . . .

this is the first time I've actually tried to use this on a lab
computer(where i don't have administrative rights) for an extended
period of time.  After a couple of minutes emacs starts throwing this
error

Creating directory: permission denied, c:/.emacs.d

the error of course, is because i don't have permission to create that
file there.  It throws this error 20 or so times when i can just get
rid of it with C-g, but then all of a sudden it does it one too many
times and then crashes.  Which means, every time I use emacs, after 5
or 6 minutes i'm saving every five seconds, because i know the program
is getting ready to crash . . .

by the way, once i get this worked out and working, i'm going to
present it to the portable app guys, and if they don't want to host
it, I'm at least going to write a tutorial and publish it, somewhere .
. .

It seems surprising to me that no one else has done this yet, or am i
just missing something?

[parent not found: <mailman.554.1145413305.9609.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>]
* winows emacs - portable app
@ 2006-04-19  2:21 Ryan Moszynski
From: Ryan Moszynski @ 2006-04-19  2:21 UTC (permalink / raw)

i've gotten used to running programs from my thumbdrive, and have
found the work being done at

http://portableapps.com

to be immensely useful to me.

so, i decide dot make my own portable app for emacs, for personal use
if nothing else.

so, i tried just copying over my emacs directory and putting the
binary into pstart(the quick and easy portable app launcher)

http://portableapps.com/apps/utilities/application_menus/pstart

, and it seems like the only thing that is keeping me from having a
"real" portable app is that i don't know how to tell emacs to look for
me .emacs config file on my thumbdrive rather than in the emacs
directory that it usually is in on my windows machine.

so, when emacs starts, it just starts to all the defaults, which
doesn't include the options in my .emacs file i've been customizing
over the last year or so, which makes this situation suboptimal.

the problem i see is that the windows drive name will be different
depending on whatever pc/usb slot combination that you happen to be
using.  For example, on my laptop, my usb drive is I:, while the lab
pc i am working on right now, the usb drive i am using is named F:

is there an easy solution to this(to make my .emacs load form my
thumbdrive automatically)?

if so, what is it?

if not, is there a command that i can run, after starting emacs, where
i can point it manually to my .emacs on wherever my thumbdrive is, and
it will run that particular .emacs whenever  i tell it to?

on a side note, that would seem to me to be a better way to debug
.emacs', better, at least than my usual way of doing it, which is to
save my .emacs and then restart the program . . .

any help is appreciated, thanks