@ 2008-10-20 17:17 Adrian
       [not found] ` <mailman.1653.1224565433.25473.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: Adrian @ 2008-10-20 17:17 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Hello,
Is there any way to load tags files without interactive confirmation
messages?  I want to load tags on startup for a large source tree.  Every
time I started emacs, I was receiving a confirmation message asking if I
wanted to load my .TAGS file, since it was "large."  To get around this
message, I tried breaking the .TAGS file into two (one for C code and one
for Python), but now emacs asks every time it is opened if I want to keep
the existing TAGS table, presumably when it tries to load the second.  The
file names are .TAGS_C and .TAGS_PY, so there should not be a namespace
conflict.  Is there any way to load tags tables non-interactively?  I am
currently using (visit-tags-table .TAGS) in my .emacs file.

Thanks,
Adrian

* Re: Loading large/multiple tags files
@ 2008-10-21  5:03 ` Kevin Rodgers
       [not found] ` <mailman.1653.1224565433.25473.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: Kevin Rodgers @ 2008-10-21  5:03 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Adrian wrote:
> Is there any way to load tags files without interactive confirmation
> messages?  I want to load tags on startup for a large source tree.
>  Every time I started emacs, I was receiving a confirmation message
> asking if I wanted to load my .TAGS file, since it was "large."  To get
> around this message, I tried breaking the .TAGS file into two (one for C
> code and one for Python), but now emacs asks every time it is opened if
> I want to keep the existing TAGS table, presumably when it tries to load
> the second.  The file names are .TAGS_C and .TAGS_PY, so there should
> not be a namespace conflict.  Is there any way to load tags tables
> non-interactively?  I am currently using (visit-tags-table .TAGS) in my
> .emacs file.

(let ((large-file-warning-threshold nil))
   (visit-tags-table ".TAGS"))

--
Kevin Rodgers
Denver, Colorado, USA

@ 2008-10-21  5:10   ` Xah
       [not found]     ` <mailman.1658.1224571528.25473.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: Xah @ 2008-10-21  5:10 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

On Oct 20, 10:03 pm, Kevin Rodgers <kevin.d.rodg...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Adrian wrote:
> > Is there any way to load tags files without interactive confirmation
> > messages?  I want to load tags on startup for a large source tree.
> >  Every time I started emacs, I was receiving a confirmation message
> > asking if I wanted to load my .TAGS file, since it was "large."  To get
> > around this message, I tried breaking the .TAGS file into two (one for C
> > code and one for Python), but now emacs asks every time it is opened if
> > I want to keep the existing TAGS table, presumably when it tries to load
> > the second.  The file names are .TAGS_C and .TAGS_PY, so there should
> > not be a namespace conflict.  Is there any way to load tags tables
> > non-interactively?  I am currently using (visit-tags-table .TAGS) in my
> > .emacs file.
>
> (let ((large-file-warning-threshold nil))
>    (visit-tags-table ".TAGS"))

does many people use this tags?

one time i tried to read the manual to see what the heck it is, then
it say i need to run some command line tool to compile it first, at
which point i think i stopped. (don't recall i have the command line
available in os x)

  Xah
∑ http://xahlee.org/^ permalink raw reply	[flat|nested] 6+ messages in thread

* Re: Loading large/multiple tags files
@ 2008-10-21  6:45     ` Eli Zaretskii
       [not found]     ` <mailman.1658.1224571528.25473.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: Eli Zaretskii @ 2008-10-21  6:45 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

> From: Xah <xahlee@gmail.com>
> Date: Mon, 20 Oct 2008 22:10:47 -0700 (PDT)
>
> does many people use this tags?

How else do you jump to a definition of a function, macro, typedef,
class, etc., with a single command?

I really don't understand how can a fairly large project be developed
without TAGS.

(Another necessary component of any reasonable Emacs-based IDE is
ID-Utils and its Emacs interface "M-x gid".)

> one time i tried to read the manual to see what the heck it is, then
> it say i need to run some command line tool to compile it first, at
> which point i think i stopped.

Well, you also need to run a "command line tool" to compile the
program.  With a bit of simple Make magic, the same command will
automatically update the tag tables for you.

@ 2008-10-21 21:28       ` Xah
From: Xah @ 2008-10-21 21:28 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

On Oct 20, 11:45 pm, Eli Zaretskii <e...@gnu.org> wrote:
> > From:Xah<xah...@gmail.com>
> > Date: Mon, 20 Oct 2008 22:10:47 -0700 (PDT)
>
> > does many people use this tags?
>
> How else do you jump to a definition of a function, macro, typedef,
> class, etc., with a single command?
>
> I really don't understand how can a fairly large project be developed
> without TAGS.
>
> (Another necessary component of any reasonable Emacs-based IDE is
> ID-Utils and its Emacs interface "M-x gid".)

I've always just used grep when i developed on large projects.
(from 1998-2002, with project code base of few hundred or thousand
files. Perl as app server, with most code. Others are sh, java, many
config files etc.
There were about 6 developers.
The lead developer is a emacs user, but he only use it for text
editing. e.g. he launches emacs by “emacs filename” then quit emacs
when done. He doesn't know or have much interest about info, dired,
shell in emacs, etc any other emacs features.
The other developers are mostly vi users mostly because that's what
they learned in school in India, and programing is just their day job.
They who wouldn't know and have no interest in what's a algorithm or
Turing machine or lisp or computer languages if you press them.
(seems sad, but that's how most professional IT workers are like.
See: The Condition of Industrial Programers
http://xahlee.org/UnixResource_dir/writ/it_programers.html
)
)

i'm pretty sure grep is inefficient... thanks for the pointers, i'll
look into tags next time.

@ 2008-10-21 23:07       ` Andreas Politz
From: Andreas Politz @ 2008-10-21 23:07 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Eli Zaretskii wrote:
>> From: Xah <xahlee@gmail.com>
>> Date: Mon, 20 Oct 2008 22:10:47 -0700 (PDT)
>>
>> does many people use this tags?
>
> How else do you jump to a definition of a function, macro, typedef,
> class, etc., with a single command?
>
> I really don't understand how can a fairly large project be developed
> without TAGS.
>
> (Another necessary component of any reasonable Emacs-based IDE is
> ID-Utils and its Emacs interface "M-x gid".)
>
>> one time i tried to read the manual to see what the heck it is, then
>> it say i need to run some command line tool to compile it first, at
>> which point i think i stopped.
>
> Well, you also need to run a "command line tool" to compile the
> program.  With a bit of simple Make magic, the same command will
> automatically update the tag tables for you.

I believe etags is part of the emacs distribution, I am actually quite
shure :0)

M-! etags -R *
in the root dir
M-.
1 or 2 more Enter and that's it.

It's easier then moving the cursor around with the control keys as a novice.

-ap