* background-image in emacs
@ 2006-11-24 14:37 M G Berberich
From: M G Berberich @ 2006-11-24 14:37 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hello,

at the moemnt I'm using xemacs, and I have a background-image, which
improves usability (in my opinion). Is there a way to get this
appearance in emacs too?

(see: http://www.forwiss.uni-passau.de/~berberic/xemacs-bg.png)

      MfG
      bmg

--
Artikel 3 und 12a des Grundgesetzes  kurz  | M G Berberich
zusammengefaßt: Männer  und  Frauen  sind  | berberic@fmi.uni-passau.de

* Re: background-image in emacs
@ 2006-11-25 10:27 ` Dieter Wilhelm
       [not found] ` <mailman.1082.1164450928.2155.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
                   ` (2 subsequent siblings)
From: Dieter Wilhelm @ 2006-11-25 10:27 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: help-gnu-emacs

M G Berberich <berberic@forwiss.uni-passau.de> writes:

> Hello,
>
> at the moemnt I'm using xemacs, and I have a background-image, which

How does this work for lines broader than the buffer?

> improves usability (in my opinion). Is there a way to get this

It looks surely interesting.  But normally the readability of text
presented in lines is good when they aren't too long.

The only advantage I discern is when comparing stuff by hand
i. e. checking data presented in tabular form and your eyes have to
wander constantly from the sheet to the screen and might end up in the
wrong line.

> appearance in emacs too?

This reminds me a bit of `global-hl-line-mode'.

--
    Best wishes

    H. Dieter Wilhelm
    Darmstadt, Germany

@ 2006-11-25 13:42   ` M G Berberich
From: M G Berberich @ 2006-11-25 13:42 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hello,

On Sat, 25 Nov 2006, Dieter Wilhelm <dieter@duenenhof-wilhelm.de> wrote:
> M G Berberich <berberic@forwiss.uni-passau.de> writes:
>>
>> at the moemnt I'm using xemacs, and I have a background-image, which
>
> How does this work for lines broader than the buffer?

I'm not sure if I understood your question: It's simply a
background-image, belonging to the frame. It does not care about
»logical« lines. It's like printing on old-fashioned fanfold
computer-paper.

> It looks surely interesting. But normally the readability of text
> presented in lines is good when they aren't too long.
>
> The only advantage I discern is when comparing stuff by hand i. e.
> checking data presented in tabular form and your eyes have to wander
> constantly from the sheet to the screen and might end up in the
> wrong line.

I normaly don't do this. I like it and think its usefull in editing
"formated" texts, like source-code.

> This reminds me a bit of `global-hl-line-mode'.

That's a nice feature, but not what I want. It is useful for your
exmaple above, but, as I said, that's not what I'm doing.

	MfG
	bmg

--
"Des is völlig wurscht, was heut beschlos- | M G Berberich
 sen wird: I bin sowieso dagegn!"          | berberic@fmi.uni-passau.de

* Re: background-image in emacs
@ 2006-11-25 18:08     ` Dieter Wilhelm
From: Dieter Wilhelm @ 2006-11-25 18:08 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: help-gnu-emacs

M G Berberich <berberic@forwiss.uni-passau.de> writes:

> Hello,
>
> On Sat, 25 Nov 2006, Dieter Wilhelm <dieter@duenenhof-wilhelm.de> wrote:
>> M G Berberich <berberic@forwiss.uni-passau.de> writes:
>>>
>>> at the moemnt I'm using xemacs, and I have a background-image, which
>>
>> How does this work for lines broader than the buffer?
>
> I'm not sure if I understood your question: It's simply a
> background-image, belonging to the frame. It does not care about
> »logical« lines. It's like printing on old-fashioned fanfold
> computer-paper.

I see, it's a pity, it could be an alternative to the fringe's
indicators of long lines.

>> It looks surely interesting. But normally the readability of text
>> presented in lines is good when they aren't too long.
>>
>> The only advantage I discern is when comparing stuff by hand i. e.
>> checking data presented in tabular form and your eyes have to wander
>> constantly from the sheet to the screen and might end up in the
>> wrong line.
>
> I normaly don't do this. I like it and think its usefull in editing
> "formated" texts, like source-code.

Hmmm, I really had to work with it to judge the usefulness.

--
    Best wishes

    H. Dieter Wilhelm
    Darmstadt, Germany

@ 2006-11-27  9:26 ` Mathias Dahl
From: Mathias Dahl @ 2006-11-27  9:26 UTC (permalink / raw)

M G Berberich <berberic@forwiss.uni-passau.de> writes:

> at the moemnt I'm using xemacs, and I have a background-image, which
> improves usability (in my opinion). Is there a way to get this
> appearance in emacs too?
>
> (see: http://www.forwiss.uni-passau.de/~berberic/xemacs-bg.png)

It might be possible to implement that using overlays but I am not
sure how the performance would be. Maybe someone else he can make a
simple prototype?

* Re: background-image in emacs
@ 2006-11-30 13:01   ` Christopher Kuettner
From: Christopher Kuettner @ 2006-11-30 13:01 UTC (permalink / raw)

Mathias Dahl wrote:
> M G Berberich <berberic@forwiss.uni-passau.de> writes:
>
>> at the moemnt I'm using xemacs, and I have a background-image, which
>> improves usability (in my opinion). Is there a way to get this
>> appearance in emacs too?
>>
>> (see: http://www.forwiss.uni-passau.de/~berberic/xemacs-bg.png)

newest research from the orgmode mailinglist:

>> > This reminds me a bit of hl-line-mode.
>
> I took a look at hl-line-mode implementation and the solution is very
> simple. It puts an overlay onto the whole line including the newline
> character (note the 1+):
>
>       (move-overlay hl-line-overlay
> 		    (line-beginning-position) (1+ (line-end-position))
> 		    (current-buffer)))))
>
> I also tried it with text properties and it works the same way:
>
>    (put-text-property (line-beginning-position) (+ 1
> (line-end-position))
>                      'face 'highlight)
>

> I thought I finally found something which emacs couldn't do, but I was
> wrong. Emacs cannot be beaten. :)

The name of the thread is "Re: Coloring window parts without content" if
you want to search the archives.

   <> Christopher

* Re: background-image in emacs
                   ` (2 preceding siblings ...)
@ 2006-11-30 18:37 ` Markus Triska
From: Markus Triska @ 2006-11-30 18:37 UTC (permalink / raw)

M G Berberich <berberic@forwiss.uni-passau.de> writes:

> at the moemnt I'm using xemacs, and I have a background-image, which
> improves usability (in my opinion). Is there a way to get this
> appearance in emacs too?

http://www.ufoot.org/misc/howto/transparentemacs

All the best,
Markus Triska