* isn't there any simple, standard way to print in windowsXP?
@ 2006-07-25 11:22 minesh varmas
       [not found] ` <mailman.4459.1153852489.9609.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: minesh varmas @ 2006-07-25 11:22 UTC (permalink / raw)

it is so difficult to configure the printer on  Ms
windows.
its so wasy in gVim, why is it so difficult on emacs?

All i want is the print dialog box to pop up and get
the printing done. i have not been able to get it
right even after following all the printing links.
when the shared printer is specfied
(setq printer-name "//alex/HPLaserJ"
it prints the document with much larger font without
any page numbers or heading.
someone please help me.

http://mail.yahoo.com

* Re: isn't there any simple, standard way to print in windowsXP?
       [not found] <mailman.4441.1153826544.9609.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
@ 2006-07-25 13:08 ` Chris McMahan
From: Chris McMahan @ 2006-07-25 13:08 UTC (permalink / raw)

Minesh,

I'm using a program included with GhostScript to open a standard
printing dialog. It works every time, and avoids all of the problems
with creating printer ports, mapping network names and such.
GhostScript is a shareware program. There are no nag screens when
printing, but it's well worth the cost.

I have the following set to do that:

;;;===================================================
;; use the ghostscript printer program to open a standard printer
;; dialog, works like a charm!!
(setq-default ps-lpr-command "c:/utils//gs/gsview/gsprint.exe"))
(setq-default ps-printer-name t)
(setq-default ps-printer-name-option nil)
(setq ps-lpr-switches '("-query")) ; show printer dialog

- Chris

--
     (.   .)
  =ooO=(_)=Ooo=====================================

@ 2006-07-25 16:59 ` Phillip Lord
From: Phillip Lord @ 2006-07-25 16:59 UTC (permalink / raw)

  mv> it is so difficult to configure the printer on Ms windows.  its
  mv> so wasy in gVim, why is it so difficult on emacs?

  mv> All i want is the print dialog box to pop up and get the
  mv> printing done. i have not been able to get it right even after
  mv> following all the printing links.  when the shared printer is
  mv> specfied (setq printer-name "//alex/HPLaserJ" it prints the
  mv> document with much larger font without any page numbers or
  mv> heading.  someone please help me.

I use

(require 'printing)
(pr-update-menus t)

This puts a "Print" menu into "File". Then I used the preview with
ghostview which I use to print preview things.

You are right, though. It would be good if this happened.

Phil

* Re: isn't there any simple, standard way to print in windowsXP?
@ 2006-07-25 18:34 ` Eli Zaretskii
       [not found] ` <mailman.4459.1153852489.9609.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: Eli Zaretskii @ 2006-07-25 18:34 UTC (permalink / raw)

> Date: Tue, 25 Jul 2006 04:22:17 -0700 (PDT)
> From: minesh varmas <mineshvarmas@yahoo.com>
>
> it is so difficult to configure the printer on  Ms
> windows.

What is it that you want to configure, exactly?  If I understand
correctly, the printer destination does work, i.e. the material is
printed.  SO what is the problem?

> All i want is the print dialog box to pop up and get
> the printing done.

No one has written the code to do that in Emacs.

> when the shared printer is specfied
> (setq printer-name "//alex/HPLaserJ"
> it prints the document with much larger font without
> any page numbers or heading.

Is that a PostScript printer?  If so, you want to use "Postscript
Print", not the ordinary print.  (Find that in the File menu.)

@ 2006-07-26  1:47   ` B. T. Raven
       [not found]     ` <mailman.4470.1153884179.9609.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: B. T. Raven @ 2006-07-26  1:47 UTC (permalink / raw)

"Eli Zaretskii" <eliz@gnu.org> wrote in message
> > Date: Tue, 25 Jul 2006 04:22:17 -0700 (PDT)
> > From: minesh varmas <mineshvarmas@yahoo.com>
> >
> > it is so difficult to configure the printer on  Ms
> > windows.
>
> What is it that you want to configure, exactly?  If I understand
> correctly, the printer destination does work, i.e. the material is
> printed.  SO what is the problem?
>
> > All i want is the print dialog box to pop up and get
> > the printing done.
>
> No one has written the code to do that in Emacs.
>
> > when the shared printer is specfied
> > (setq printer-name "//alex/HPLaserJ"
> > it prints the document with much larger font without
> > any page numbers or heading.
>
> Is that a PostScript printer?  If so, you want to use "Postscript
> Print", not the ordinary print.  (Find that in the File menu.)

If it is a PostScript printer, is it NECESSARY to use postscript print
when running emacs under a version of the msw OS? I have 22.0.50 mostly
working with msw2000 but nothing from the printer (a multi-function device
whose printer component is "LPT1") Whether I set it to shared or not I see
only Spooling.... done ... and then nothing. How do I go about diagnosing
this problem?

Thanks,

Ed

* Re: isn't there any simple, standard way to print in windowsXP?
@ 2006-07-26  3:22     ` Eli Zaretskii
       [not found]     ` <mailman.4470.1153884179.9609.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: Eli Zaretskii @ 2006-07-26  3:22 UTC (permalink / raw)

> From: "B. T. Raven" <ecinmn@alcisp.com>
> Date: Tue, 25 Jul 2006 20:47:13 -0500
>
> If it is a PostScript printer, is it NECESSARY to use postscript print
> when running emacs under a version of the msw OS?

No, it's not necessary.  "M-x lpr-buffer" (or File->Print Buffer from
the menu bar) should also work.

> I have 22.0.50 mostly working with msw2000 but nothing from the
> printer (a multi-function device whose printer component is "LPT1")
> Whether I set it to shared or not I see only Spooling.... done ...
> and then nothing. How do I go about diagnosing this problem?

Please try printing from Emacs launched as "emacs -Q".  If it works,
perhaps there's something in your .emacs init file that causes this
problem.

@ 2006-07-26 15:09       ` cameroncb1
From: cameroncb1 @ 2006-07-26 15:09 UTC (permalink / raw)

Eli Zaretskii wrote:
> > From: "B. T. Raven" <ecinmn@alcisp.com>
> > Date: Tue, 25 Jul 2006 20:47:13 -0500
> >
> > If it is a PostScript printer, is it NECESSARY to use postscript print
> > when running emacs under a version of the msw OS?
>
> No, it's not necessary.  "M-x lpr-buffer" (or File->Print Buffer from
> the menu bar) should also work.
>
> > I have 22.0.50 mostly working with msw2000 but nothing from the
> > printer (a multi-function device whose printer component is "LPT1")
> > Whether I set it to shared or not I see only Spooling.... done ...
> > and then nothing. How do I go about diagnosing this problem?
>
> Please try printing from Emacs launched as "emacs -Q".  If it works,
> perhaps there's something in your .emacs init file that causes this
> problem.

I tried using M-x lpr-buffer under Windows XP Professional after having
invoked Emacs using emacs -q and, later, emacs -Q.  In both cases, I
got the Emacs message "Spooling with options (page headers are not
supported) ...done".  However, nothing was printed, nor could I find
the output of the spooler.

Charles B. Cameron

* Re: isn't there any simple, standard way to print in windowsXP?
@ 2006-07-26 18:46         ` Eli Zaretskii
From: Eli Zaretskii @ 2006-07-26 18:46 UTC (permalink / raw)

> From: cameroncb1@gmail.com
> Date: 26 Jul 2006 08:09:49 -0700
>
> > > I have 22.0.50 mostly working with msw2000 but nothing from the
> > > printer (a multi-function device whose printer component is "LPT1")
> > > Whether I set it to shared or not I see only Spooling.... done ...
> > > and then nothing. How do I go about diagnosing this problem?
> >
> > Please try printing from Emacs launched as "emacs -Q".  If it works,
> > perhaps there's something in your .emacs init file that causes this
> > problem.
>
> I tried using M-x lpr-buffer under Windows XP Professional after having
> invoked Emacs using emacs -q and, later, emacs -Q.  In both cases, I
> got the Emacs message "Spooling with options (page headers are not
> supported) ...done".  However, nothing was printed, nor could I find
> the output of the spooler.

In "emacs -Q", what is the value of printer-name?  And what kind of
printer is the default printer on that system (the one that appears as
default in the Start->Printers dialog)?