* shell quoting
@ 2006-03-08 21:28 Florian Kaufmann
From: Florian Kaufmann @ 2006-03-08 21:28 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hello

Can anyone direct me to information how quoting works in
(shell-command) and (shell). I am used to bash. For example I entered,
as I would in bash

find . -name '*cpp'
But then I get
File not found - '*cpp'

If I omit the ' it doesn't really get better. The answer now is
FIND: Parameter format not correct

I have the GNU Emacs Manual 21.2, but coudnt find anything.

Thank you

Florian Kaufmann

* Re: shell quoting
@ 2006-03-08 21:52 ` Florian Kaufmann
From: Florian Kaufmann @ 2006-03-08 21:52 UTC (permalink / raw)

I think I found the problem. I am using XEmacs for Windows, and I didnt
set the SHELL environment variable to bash from my cywgin environment.

* Re: shell quoting
@ 2006-03-08 22:24 ` Eli Zaretskii
From: Eli Zaretskii @ 2006-03-08 22:24 UTC (permalink / raw)

> From: "Florian Kaufmann" <sensorflo@gmail.com>
> Date: 8 Mar 2006 13:28:21 -0800
>
> find . -name '*cpp'
> But then I get
> File not found - '*cpp'
>
> If I omit the ' it doesn't really get better. The answer now is
> FIND: Parameter format not correct

This message comes from find.exe which is part of MS-Windows and is
incompatible with GNU Find.  The Windows find.exe is something like
Grep (type "find /?" for more info).

In other words, check your PATH: you are getting the wrong executable.

* Re: shell quoting
@ 2006-03-08 23:02 bhenz
From: bhenz @ 2006-03-08 23:02 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: help-gnu-emacs-bounces+bhenz=lexmark.com, help-gnu-emacs