* Shrinking grep/compile window to fit contents of buffer
@ 2007-11-13  8:18 Nordlöw
       [not found] ` <mailman.3418.1194943989.18990.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: Nordlöw @ 2007-11-13  8:18 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

How can I make emacs call shrink-window-if-larger-than-buffer() in the
message buffer upon completion of compile/grep?

Thanks in advance,
Nordlöw

* Re: Shrinking grep/compile window to fit contents of buffer
@ 2007-11-13  8:52 ` Lennart Borgman (gmail)
       [not found] ` <mailman.3418.1194943989.18990.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: Lennart Borgman (gmail) @ 2007-11-13  8:52 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Nordlöw; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

Nordlöw wrote:
> How can I make emacs call shrink-window-if-larger-than-buffer() in the
> message buffer upon completion of compile/grep?
>
> Thanks in advance,
> Nordlöw

(info "(elisp) Standard Hooks")

Look at compilation-finish-functions.

@ 2007-11-13  9:38   ` Nordlöw
       [not found]     ` <mailman.3423.1194947780.18990.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: Nordlöw @ 2007-11-13  9:38 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

On Nov 13, 9:52 am, "Lennart Borgman (gmail)"
<lennart.borg...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Nordlöw wrote:
> > How can I make emacs call shrink-window-if-larger-than-buffer() in the
> > message buffer upon completion of compile/grep?
>
> > Thanks in advance,
> > Nordlöw
>
> (info "(elisp) Standard Hooks")
>
> Look at compilation-finish-functions.

I thought the following code should work:

(defun shrink-compilation-window-if-larger-than-buffer (buf str)
  (shrink-window-if-larger-than-buffer)
  )
(if t
    (add-hook 'compilation-finish-functions
	      'shrink-compilation-window-if-larger-than-buffer)
  )

but nothing happens. I believe I am missing a way to convert the BUF
argument to its window since shrink-window-if-larger-than-buffer()
needs a window as argument the above code does nothing yet.

@ 2007-11-13  9:56     ` Juanma Barranquero
       [not found]     ` <mailman.3423.1194947780.18990.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: Juanma Barranquero @ 2007-11-13  9:56 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Nordlöw; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

On 11/13/07, Nordlöw <per.nordlow@gmail.com> wrote:

> I believe I am missing a way to convert the BUF
> argument to its window

Try (get-buffer-window buf)

             Juanma

@ 2007-11-13 10:06       ` Nordlöw
From: Nordlöw @ 2007-11-13 10:06 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Great! Thanks! Here is the code that solves my problem:

;;;
;; Compilation Autoshrink

(defun shrink-compilation-window-if-larger-than-buffer (buf str)
  (shrink-window-if-larger-than-buffer (get-buffer-window buf))
  )

(defcustom compilation-window-shrink-to-fit t
  "Define to non-nil to make compilation/grep-window shrink to fit its
  contents.")
(if compilation-window-shrink-to-fit
    (progn
      (add-hook 'compilation-finish-functions
		'shrink-compilation-window-if-larger-than-buffer)
      (setq compilation-window-height nil)
      (setq grep-window-height nil)
      )
  (progn
    ;; set to a specific height or nil if we use half of buffer height
    (setq compilation-window-height 10)
    (setq grep-window-height 20)
  ))

@ 2007-11-14  9:26         ` David Rod
From: David Rod @ 2007-11-14  9:26 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

an excellent link.  base url describes mule and everything useful