* emacs under Cygwin
@ 2005-09-07 11:44 Paminu
From: Paminu @ 2005-09-07 11:44 UTC (permalink / raw)

I just downloaded emacs 21.4a from:

http://ftp.gnu.org/pub/gnu/emacs/

I unzipped it to my home dir in c:\cygwin and opened a shell and entered the
dir and typed ./configure. But then I get this error:

configure: error: Emacs hasn't been ported to 'i686-pc-cygwin' systems.

Is there no way to install emacs under cygwin?

I would prefer to build a native linux version under Cygwin instead of
installing the windows version.

* Re: emacs under Cygwin
@ 2005-09-07 12:22 ` Ehud Karni
       [not found] ` <mailman.6176.1126097556.20277.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: Ehud Karni @ 2005-09-07 12:22 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: help-gnu-emacs

On Wed, 7 Sep 2005 13:44:21 +0200, Paminu <asdad@asd.com> wrote:

> I just downloaded emacs 21.4a from:
>
> http://ftp.gnu.org/pub/gnu/emacs/
>
> I unzipped it to my home dir in c:\cygwin and opened a shell and entered the
> dir and typed ./configure. But then I get this error:
>
> configure: error: Emacs hasn't been ported to 'i686-pc-cygwin' systems.
>
> Is there no way to install emacs under cygwin?
>
> I would prefer to build a native linux version under Cygwin instead of
> installing the windows version.

You can use the Cygwin's distributed Emacs (21.2) - just use setup to
download/install it. If you want to compile and install Emacs yourself,
You'll have to get it from CVS (Emacs 22.0.50), this build as is.

To get the CVS emacs do:

export CVS_RSH="ssh"
cvs -z3 -d:ext:anoncvs@savannah.gnu.org:/cvsroot/emacs co emacs

Then install it as you would do on UNIX, i.e.
    configure
    make bootstarp
    make install

Ehud.

--
 Ehud Karni           Tel: +972-3-7966-561  /"\
 Mivtach - Simon      Fax: +972-3-7966-667  \ /  ASCII Ribbon Campaign

* Re: emacs under Cygwin
@ 2005-09-07 12:24 ` Chris McMahan
       [not found] ` <mailman.6176.1126097556.20277.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: Chris McMahan @ 2005-09-07 12:24 UTC (permalink / raw)

I assume you are running Cygwin under windows?

May I ask why you don't want to use the windows port? I've been
happily working with both for many years now.

- Chris

"Paminu" <asdad@asd.com> writes:

> I just downloaded emacs 21.4a from:
>
> http://ftp.gnu.org/pub/gnu/emacs/
>
> I unzipped it to my home dir in c:\cygwin and opened a shell and entered the
> dir and typed ./configure. But then I get this error:
>
> configure: error: Emacs hasn't been ported to 'i686-pc-cygwin' systems.
>
> Is there no way to install emacs under cygwin?
>
> I would prefer to build a native linux version under Cygwin instead of
> installing the windows version.

--
     (.   .)
  =ooO=(_)=Ooo========================

* Re: emacs under Cygwin
@ 2005-09-07 12:59   ` Paulo da Costa
From: Paulo da Costa @ 2005-09-07 12:59 UTC (permalink / raw)

Chris McMahan wrote:
> I assume you are running Cygwin under windows?
>
> May I ask why you don't want to use the windows port? I've been
> happily working with both for many years now.

I run emacs under cygwin, and I prefer it. It is integrated with all the
other tools I have running under there. I can download and build my own
version every time I want to. I set up an emacsclient.bat to be called
from Windows, so there's really no difference.

I got my emacs using cvs from savannah.gnu.org. I use 22.0.50.1 (the
latest from less than a month ago) and I had no problem building it
under cygwin. If you pay attention to the ./configure messages you may
find out you have to go back and install some packages from cygwin -
such as a compiler :) or automake or some such -, but otherwise it's
pretty seamless.

Paulo

* Re: emacs under Cygwin
       [not found] ` <mailman.6176.1126097556.20277.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
@ 2005-09-07 13:23   ` Paulo da Costa
From: Paulo da Costa @ 2005-09-07 13:23 UTC (permalink / raw)

Ehud Karni wrote:
[...]
> You can use the Cygwin's distributed Emacs (21.2) [...]

My cygwin installer shows 21.3.50.

> [...] If you want to compile and install Emacs yourself,
> You'll have to get it from CVS (Emacs 22.0.50), this build as is.

This is the one I'm using now, and I would recommend it.

Paulo

* emacs under cygwin
@ 2016-01-06  3:31 fpefpe
From: fpefpe @ 2016-01-06  3:31 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Hello -- I am having a start-up problem with emacs running under cygwin

I get this error when it start --

C:/CYGWIN/bin/emacs-X11.exe: error while loading shared libraries: ?: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory

is there a way to log/trace the startup of emacs?

thanks

* Re: emacs under cygwin
@ 2016-01-06 17:12 ` Keith Osterheld
From: Keith Osterheld @ 2016-01-06 17:12 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: fpefpe; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

Just run eamacs --debug-init. That should give you more info.