* emacs-w3m and mime.el
@ 2005-01-11  1:54 Ushnish Basu
From: Ushnish Basu @ 2005-01-11  1:54 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi,

Short version: I wanted to find a recent copy of mime.el. The version I
downloaded from http://bmrc.berkeley.edu/~trey/emacs/mime.html doesn't work.

I am trying to use emacs-w3m (mime-w3m.el) with mh-e for reading MIME mail. I
turns out that mime-w3m.el requires mime.el, a google search for which pointed
me to

http://bmrc.berkeley.edu/~trey/emacs/mime.html

However, on using this file I get the error message (emacs --debug-init)

(invalid-read-syntax "] in a list")

in mime.el. However, emacs doesn't seem to tell me the line number.

Does anyone have a recent version of this file, or knows why this is
happening?

I will be happy to provide any more details if required.

The versions I am using are

GNU Emacs 21.3
emacs-w3m 1.4.3
mime.el 1.64 (95/12/26)

Thanks,
Ushnish

--
Ushnish Basu          ubasu@ce.berkeley.edu
+1 510 644-1906       http://www.ce.berkeley.edu/~ubasu

* Re: emacs-w3m and mime.el
@ 2005-01-11  4:02 ` Petrik Galvosas
From: Petrik Galvosas @ 2005-01-11  4:02 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi,

> Does anyone have a recent version of this file, or knows why this is
> happening?

I use emacs-w3m for reading MIME mail (within Wanderlust). As part of
the Wanderlust installation I have to install flim

FLIM:   ftp://ftp.m17n.org/pub/mule/flim/

as well. Flim contains a mime.el which seems to be recent:

;;; mime.el --- MIME library module

;; Copyright (C) 1998,1999,2000,2001,2003 Free Software Foundation, Inc.

;; Author: MORIOKA Tomohiko <tomo@m17n.org>

So I use flim 1.14.6 together with emacs-w3m 1.4.3 with emacs
21.3.50.1 on win2000 with no problems.

Maybe this helps
Petrik

* Re: emacs-w3m and mime.el
@ 2005-01-11 16:27 ` Stefan Monnier
From: Stefan Monnier @ 2005-01-11 16:27 UTC (permalink / raw)

> I am trying to use emacs-w3m (mime-w3m.el) with mh-e for reading
> MIME mail.

Please don't add to the confusion.  emacs-w3m is for reading
HTML documents.  Those can be embedded in email using MIME, but MIME can be
used for many more things than just to embed HTML.

IIRC the MH-E included in Emacs-21.3 does not support MIME very well.
I'd recommend you try the newer version at http://mh-e.sourceforge.net
(it'll be included in the next Emacs release).

It'll still require emacs-w3m if you want it to display HTML parts of MIME
mail, of course, but mime-w3m.el shouldn't be needed.

* Re: emacs-w3m and mime.el
@ 2005-01-13 21:09   ` Ushnish Basu
From: Ushnish Basu @ 2005-01-13 21:09 UTC (permalink / raw)

>> I am trying to use emacs-w3m (mime-w3m.el) with mh-e for reading
>> MIME mail.
>
> Please don't add to the confusion.  emacs-w3m is for reading
> HTML documents.  Those can be embedded in email using MIME, but MIME can be
> used for many more things than just to embed HTML.

Certainly, I in fact meant HTML mail.

> IIRC the MH-E included in Emacs-21.3 does not support MIME very well.
> I'd recommend you try the newer version at http://mh-e.sourceforge.net
> (it'll be included in the next Emacs release).

Thanks, I did download the latest mh-e. Also, thanks to the other poster for
suggesting flim.