* Setting mwheel down/up to new function
@ 2004-05-10 12:24 burlo_stumproot
From: burlo_stumproot @ 2004-05-10 12:24 UTC (permalink / raw)

I would like to change the behavior of mouse-wheel up and mouse-wheel down.
I though it would be nice to map them to gnus-article-goto-prev-page and
gnus-summary-next-page. I tried putting the following in my .gnus
but aparently it's completly ignored.

(global-set-key [mouse-4] 'gnus-summary-next-page)
(global-set-key [mouse-5] 'gnus-article-goto-prev-page)

Any hints ?

* Re: Setting mwheel down/up to new function
@ 2004-05-10 19:03 ` Reiner Steib
From: Reiner Steib @ 2004-05-10 19:03 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Mon, May 10 2004, burlo_stumproot@notvalid.se wrote:

> I would like to change the behavior of mouse-wheel up and mouse-wheel down.
> I though it would be nice to map them to gnus-article-goto-prev-page and
> gnus-summary-next-page. I tried putting the following in my .gnus
> but aparently it's completly ignored.
>
> (global-set-key [mouse-4] 'gnus-summary-next-page)
> (global-set-key [mouse-5] 'gnus-article-goto-prev-page)

Global settings make no sense here.

> Any hints ?

Did you try `mouse-wheel-follow-mouse'?

Bye, Reiner.
--
       ,,,
      (o o)

* Re: Setting mwheel down/up to new function
@ 2004-05-11  9:43   ` burlo_stumproot
From: burlo_stumproot @ 2004-05-11  9:43 UTC (permalink / raw)

Reiner Steib <4.uce.03.r.s@nurfuerspam.de> writes:

> On Mon, May 10 2004, burlo_stumproot@notvalid.se wrote:
>
> > I would like to change the behavior of mouse-wheel up and mouse-wheel down.
> > I though it would be nice to map them to gnus-article-goto-prev-page and
> > gnus-summary-next-page. I tried putting the following in my .gnus
> > but aparently it's completly ignored.
> >
> > (global-set-key [mouse-4] 'gnus-summary-next-page)
> > (global-set-key [mouse-5] 'gnus-article-goto-prev-page)
>
> Global settings make no sense here.

I know, I know but my ntemacs is only used for gnus
and I dont remember how to set somthing only when
running gnus.

Over 10 years since I did any serios e-lisp stuff.

> > Any hints ?
>
> Did you try `mouse-wheel-follow-mouse'?

A variable that let's you scroll the window your pointer is over. No
and I dont know if it's relevant, I dont want any scrolling at all.

But somthing is grabbing my mouse scrolling before this
(global-set-key [mouse-4] 'gnus-summary-next-page) has a chance
to run. I had a look in mwheel.el but is't over my head.

So,
any more tips?

* Re: Setting mwheel down/up to new function
@ 2004-05-11 10:50     ` Reiner Steib
From: Reiner Steib @ 2004-05-11 10:50 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Tue, May 11 2004, burlo_stumproot@notvalid.se wrote:

> Reiner Steib <4.uce.03.r.s@nurfuerspam.de> writes:
>
>> On Mon, May 10 2004, burlo_stumproot@notvalid.se wrote:
[...]
>> > (global-set-key [mouse-4] 'gnus-summary-next-page)
>> > (global-set-key [mouse-5] 'gnus-article-goto-prev-page)
>>
>> Global settings make no sense here.
>
> I know, I know but my ntemacs is only used for gnus

It doesn't even make sense in this case: Group buffers, message
buffers, ...

> and I dont remember how to set somthing only when running gnus.

(define-key gnus-summary-mode-map FOO-KEY 'gnus-summary-FOO-function)

See (info "(emacs)Local Keymaps").

Bye, Reiner.
--
       ,,,
      (o o)

* Re: Setting mwheel down/up to new function
@ 2004-05-11 23:42     ` Jason Rumney
From: Jason Rumney @ 2004-05-11 23:42 UTC (permalink / raw)

burlo_stumproot@notvalid.se writes:

> I know, I know but my ntemacs is only used for gnus
>
> But somthing is grabbing my mouse scrolling before this
> (global-set-key [mouse-4] 'gnus-summary-next-page) has a chance
> to run.

Unlike the usual X configuration, Windows does not map the mouse wheel
to mouse-4 and mouse-5. Try [wheel-up] and [wheel-down] instead.

* Re: Setting mwheel down/up to new function
@ 2004-05-12  9:21       ` burlo_stumproot
From: burlo_stumproot @ 2004-05-12  9:21 UTC (permalink / raw)

Reiner Steib <4.uce.03.r.s@nurfuerspam.de> writes:

> On Tue, May 11 2004, burlo_stumproot@notvalid.se wrote:
>
> > Reiner Steib <4.uce.03.r.s@nurfuerspam.de> writes:
> >
> >> On Mon, May 10 2004, burlo_stumproot@notvalid.se wrote:
> [...]
> >>
> >> Global settings make no sense here.
> >
> > I know, I know but my ntemacs is only used for gnus
>
> It doesn't even make sense in this case: Group buffers, message
> buffers, ...
>
> > and I dont remember how to set somthing only when running gnus.
>
> (define-key gnus-summary-mode-map FOO-KEY 'gnus-summary-FOO-function)

Thanks for the tip. Now I have some more global-set-key to tidy up.

* Re: Setting mwheel down/up to new function
@ 2004-05-12  9:34       ` burlo_stumproot
From: burlo_stumproot @ 2004-05-12  9:34 UTC (permalink / raw)

jasonr (Jason Rumney) @  f2s.com writes:

> burlo_stumproot@notvalid.se writes:
>
> > I know, I know but my ntemacs is only used for gnus
> >
> > But somthing is grabbing my mouse scrolling before this
> > (global-set-key [mouse-4] 'gnus-summary-next-page) has a chance
> > to run.
>
> Unlike the usual X configuration, Windows does not map the mouse wheel
> to mouse-4 and mouse-5. Try [wheel-up] and [wheel-down] instead.

I tried that also, but all I ever get when using the mouse wheel
is mouse-wheel-scroll-line.

A C-h c gives "<mouse-wheel> runs the command mouse-wheel-scroll-line"
no matter if I scroll the mouse-wheel up or down.

So it seems that the up or down is not mapped separatly????
More confused than ever.....

I can remap the <mouse-wheel> easyly enough to gnus-summary-next-page
but i miss gnus-summary-goto-prev-page for the full keyboardless news session

* Re: Setting mwheel down/up to new function
@ 2004-05-12 20:50         ` Jason Rumney
From: Jason Rumney @ 2004-05-12 20:50 UTC (permalink / raw)

burlo_stumproot@notvalid.se writes:

> jasonr (Jason Rumney) @  f2s.com writes:
>
>> burlo_stumproot@notvalid.se writes:
>>
>> > I know, I know but my ntemacs is only used for gnus
>> >
>> > But somthing is grabbing my mouse scrolling before this
>> > (global-set-key [mouse-4] 'gnus-summary-next-page) has a chance
>> > to run.
>>
>> Unlike the usual X configuration, Windows does not map the mouse wheel
>> to mouse-4 and mouse-5. Try [wheel-up] and [wheel-down] instead.
>
> I tried that also, but all I ever get when using the mouse wheel
> is mouse-wheel-scroll-line.
>
> A C-h c gives "<mouse-wheel> runs the command mouse-wheel-scroll-line"
> no matter if I scroll the mouse-wheel up or down.

The mouse-wheel event is special in that it contains extra info about
direction and magnitude. The current CVS uses wheel-up and wheel-down
because they are a lot easier for the end user to work with, but for
21.3, if you look in lisp/term/w32-win.el, you should be able to find
the code that deals with the [mouse-wheel] event so you can copy it
and customize it yourself.

* Re: Setting mwheel down/up to new function
@ 2004-05-13  7:40           ` burlo_stumproot
From: burlo_stumproot @ 2004-05-13  7:40 UTC (permalink / raw)

jasonr (Jason Rumney) @  f2s.com writes:

> burlo_stumproot@notvalid.se writes:
> > jasonr (Jason Rumney) @  f2s.com writes:

> >> Unlike the usual X configuration, Windows does not map the mouse wheel
> >> to mouse-4 and mouse-5. Try [wheel-up] and [wheel-down] instead.
> >
> > I tried that also, but all I ever get when using the mouse wheel
> > is mouse-wheel-scroll-line.
> >
> > A C-h c gives "<mouse-wheel> runs the command mouse-wheel-scroll-line"
> > no matter if I scroll the mouse-wheel up or down.
>
> The mouse-wheel event is special in that it contains extra info about
> direction and magnitude. The current CVS uses wheel-up and wheel-down
> because they are a lot easier for the end user to work with, but for
> 21.3, if you look in lisp/term/w32-win.el, you should be able to find
> the code that deals with the [mouse-wheel] event so you can copy it
> and customize it yourself.

Thank you, I found what I needed in w32-win.el.