* How to avoid splitting words on newline?
@ 2005-09-27 18:30 Paminu
From: Paminu @ 2005-09-27 18:30 UTC (permalink / raw)

In emacs if I write a word it will get split in two when I get to the right
margin. How do I get the whole word on the next line?

* Re: How to avoid splitting words on newline?
@ 2005-09-27 18:46 ` roodwriter
                   ` (3 subsequent siblings)
From: roodwriter @ 2005-09-27 18:46 UTC (permalink / raw)

Paminu wrote:

> In emacs if I write a word it will get split in two when I get to the
> right margin. How do I get the whole word on the next line?

Try longlines.el from Emacswiki. I'm a full-time writer, not a programmer,
and it's what I use.

Rod

* Re: How to avoid splitting words on newline?
@ 2005-09-27 19:05 ` Peter Dyballa
       [not found] ` <mailman.8872.1127848756.20277.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
                   ` (2 subsequent siblings)
From: Peter Dyballa @ 2005-09-27 19:05 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: help-gnu-emacs

Am 27.09.2005 um 20:30 schrieb Paminu:

> In emacs if I write a word it will get split in two when I get to the
> right
> margin. How do I get the whole word on the next line?

Remove the mode that's causing that!

I've never seen GNU Emacs split a word -- it's not a text processor and
splits a line or sentence only between the words. You too can set
fill-column to a very high value, 99.999 for example. This will make
the line quite long ..

--
Greetings

   Pete

This is a signature virus.  Add me to your signature and help me to
live!

@ 2005-09-28  7:32   ` Mathias Dahl
From: Mathias Dahl @ 2005-09-28  7:32 UTC (permalink / raw)

>> In emacs if I write a word it will get split in two when I get to
>> the right
>> margin. How do I get the whole word on the next line?
>>

> I've never seen GNU Emacs split a word -- it's not a text processor
> and splits a line or sentence only between the words. You too can set
> fill-column to a very high value, 99.999 for example. This will make
> the line quite long ..

My guess is that the original poster have another definition of "word"
than you have. :)

In English, the primary "rule" seems to be to separate words instead
of writing them together. To use an example from your text above:
"text processor". Emacs will split that "word" for me if it is at the
end of a line and auto-fill-mode is on. In Swedish, that would have
been "ordbehandlare" (which are really two words mashed together,
"ord" and "behandlare" (word + processor)).

So, to answer the original poster, change your language to Swedish and
all of your problems will be solved... :)

/Mathias

* Re: How to avoid splitting words on newline?
                   ` (2 preceding siblings ...)
       [not found] ` <mailman.8872.1127848756.20277.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
@ 2005-09-30 21:17 ` B. T. Raven
From: B. T. Raven @ 2005-09-30 21:17 UTC (permalink / raw)

"Paminu" <jadajada@asd.com> wrote in message
> In emacs if I write a word it will get split in two when I get to the
right
> margin. How do I get the whole word on the next line?

This is a normal feature of a continuation line (line with bent arrows
on left and right fringes of long lines.  If you move the cursor to
anywhere in a paragraph and then type M-q, you will cause the text to
fill to the width of the variable 'fill-column (default = 70). You can
set this to whatever you want with C-u (your-number-here) C-x f [no
spaces].
Also try "C-h i u u u .... until ding... m emacs <ret> s filling <ret>"
[no quotes, no spaces]. Then read all about it.

Good luck,

Ed

* Re: How to avoid splitting words on newline?
                   ` (3 preceding siblings ...)
@ 2005-09-30 22:59 ` Pascal Bourguignon
From: Pascal Bourguignon @ 2005-09-30 22:59 UTC (permalink / raw)

Paminu <jadajada@asd.com> writes:

> In emacs if I write a word it will get split in two when I get to the right
> margin. How do I get the whole word on the next line?

Either M-x auto-fill-mode RET or M-x longlines-mode RET
may do what you want.

--
"Specifications are for the weak and timid!"