Chetan writes: ... > I have wondered about swithing to emacsserver for some time. I have > been using gnuclient for a long time (on W32). Changing over to > emacsserver became a possibility with emacs 22, but I haven't yet done > it. > > For my style of working, I find there are irritations in switching > over. I wonder if anybody has any solution. > > 1. My version of gnuclient starts emacs (if it can find it) if it > cannot connect to a running instance. I could, of course, make sure it > is running before I use it. > > 2. Irrespective of whether I am running emacs 21 or 22, it can still > connect. > > 3. The biggest irritant is that if I start another instance of emacs, > either by mistake or because I want to do something in a console > window, it clobbers my previous instance. With gnuserve, it fails with > a dialog box, which is also irritating, but it works the way I want > it. Ideally I would not like to keep changing the commandline, but I > don't see how I would do it even with that. > > 4. I need to change too many places in the system registry where it > invokes gnuclient. I can perhaps do that if I can handle the others. > > Chetan After looking at the suggestions, I have tried to work on my most irritant point 3. Here is a package that does what I want. Now the next is to try item 4. Looks like creating an executable that handles the same arguments but uses emacsserver is the simplest. I will try to do that for me. Chetan